ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I mean, if you want the quick and easy way to play one palette, just change the colors within config.ini to match one of the Super Gameboy palettes (theyre in the exact same 5bit format)

For what I'm doing, it's not simple at all. I'm probably going to end up just releasing this as a huge project. For now, just bear with me as I fumble around with the games. I'm doing my best to make color happen!

Now, to actually answer your question, you force Pokemon Red/Blue/Green into GBC mode through the header. I made it a GBC only game.
Then, when you boot the game up, it will be completely white. This is because no palettes are initialized. THAT is where the patches come in handy.
So far I have found no VIABLE way to use colorization from the GBC bios. I could probably just do that with patches as well, but we'll see. Don't get too anxious.
No problem, that's a bit progress though. Did you found out anything about Crystal new? Like the white out pallets problem or local trading? (Sorry I wasn't here the last days...)

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I mean, if you want the quick and easy way to play one palette, just change the colors within config.ini to match one of the Super Gameboy palettes (theyre in the exact same 5bit format)

For what I'm doing, it's not simple at all. I'm probably going to end up just releasing this as a huge project. For now, just bear with me as I fumble around with the games. I'm doing my best to make color happen!

Now, to actually answer your question, you force Pokemon Red/Blue/Green into GBC mode through the header. I made it a GBC only game.
Then, when you boot the game up, it will be completely white. This is because no palettes are initialized. THAT is where the patches come in handy.
So far I have found no VIABLE way to use colorization from the GBC bios. I could probably just do that with patches as well, but we'll see. Don't get too anxious.

Awesome going to stop playing my pokemon blue (3badges) and see where this goes :D

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem, that's a bit progress though. Did you found out anything about Crystal new? Like the white out pallets problem or local trading? (Sorry I wasn't here the last days...)
No, sorry. I haven't been looking too deep into Crystal.
Perhaps ask @froggestspirit? IIRC, a couple pages back, they nearly had a solution. It was just all flashy.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, sorry. I haven't been looking too deep into Crystal.
Perhaps ask @froggestspirit? IIRC, a couple pages back, they nearly had a solution. It was just all flashy.
Okay thanks. Unfortunately Danny-E33 didn't answered to my email yet too. Only that he's looking into it. I gave him all files he needs.

Reactions: XRaidersP

kromlech06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it at all possible to add L=A to these rom patches? I know L is taken up for the L+R+Y gameboy green swapping but is it possible to map L alone to also be A, like X is also start?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, super gameboy colors != gameboy color-colors for Blue and Red. CGB gives each layer a set-in-stone palette, whereas SGB has to set static zones of the screen to be colored, but can change the palettes and areas whenever it wants. Red/Blue have a colored pokedex and pokemon in fights for example, but can't have the player sprite be different from the other layers because of this.
Unless a fairly lengthy detour was taken to support SGB colors explicitly in the CGB emulator (which like... why would they, that support would be in DMG if it was anywhere), you're only going to get a cheap layer-based set of palettes by throwing unmodified RGB and JP Yellow at N's CGB emu.

Reactions: froggestspirit

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really sure why people are talking much about the SGB coloring. We have a GBC compatible romhack, it's just the emulator itself seems to overwrite colors 2-4 of palettes 4 and 5 of the BG. I'm guessing it could be fixed by looking into the emulator's code, but it's not worth my time tbh...

Edit: at the very least, I'd still suggest looking into the rom I made for testing this, and modifying it a bit. It shouldn't be too hard to determin when and why the palettes get overwritten
(leaving register $FF68 as 1 seems to partially fix it, that's what I did for the blinking color fix, but most games clear the register, or don't touch it after transfering the colors to the palette, which seems to give the more solid blanked out colors).
Also, I'm guessing it's during V-Blank that it happens, but that's only a guess
I wish I knew how the 3DS worked half as much as I know the Gameboy(Color)

Last edited by froggestspirit,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really sure why people are talking much about the SGB coloring. We have a GBC compatible romhack, it's just the emulator itself seems to overwrite colors 2-4 of palettes 4 and 5 of the BG. I'm guessing it could be fixed by looking into the emulator's code, but it's not worth my time tbh...

Edit: at the very least, I'd still suggest looking into the rom I made for testing this, and modifying it a bit. It shouldn't be too hard to determin when and why the palettes get overwritten
(leaving register $FF68 as 1 seems to partially fix it, that's what I did for the blinking color fix, but most games clear the register, or don't touch it after transfering the colors to the palette, which seems to give the more solid blanked out colors).
If someone could get the exact colors from the GBC's palette RAM I could search around for the routine which writes them in. I'd imagine it's purely an emulator thing, possibly for the Jynx censorship since they need that purple palette *somewhere*.

Last edited by shinyquagsire23,

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That was just a question of a topic poster who wants it in nostalgic colors he used to play it in.

I think what everyone wants in the end is the full color mod with trading option intact.

Edit reason: made a mistake

Last edited by vree,

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts were just this:
Someone in the topic asked about the ability to play it in the old, nostalgic colors, so I went ahead and looked into it. I know the full color hack is really nice, but there ARE going to be some people who would prefer the colors they grew up with (Heck, there are some people who prefer the monochrome).

So...
If you think I'm wasting my time, I'll drop the project and move on, but that was just what I thought.

Last edited by Deleted member 370283,
Reactions: MajinCubyan

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone in the topic asked about the ability to play it in the old, nostalgic colors, so I went ahead and looked into it. I know the full color hack is really nice, but there ARE going to be some people who would prefer the colors they grew up with (Heck, there are some people who prefer the monochrome).

So...
If you think I'm wasting my time, I'll drop the project and move on, but that was just what I thought.
You are not wasting your time! There are colors for everybody, mono, GBC, SGB, G/S hack... I support the idea to get as many combinations as possible, we should even consider G/S for monochrome nostalgics. I have an O3DS, I will dig in to it as well when I have the time, if you need any help with testings let me know.

angrybanana5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So...

For me, R/B with the default GBC colors are nostalgic for me. SGB would be nice and all but the mono-colors seem to be the easiest to implement (someone said you can just edit config.INI?). G/S style colors just wouldn't feel right but everyone has their own preference. :)

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm fine with whichever color solution works the best. Currently that appears to be a single palette via config.ini seeing that this VC has issues with certain palettes in the full color patch. But if initializing the stock GBC DMG palettes (3 separate palettes, 1 per layer) is possible I'd say go for it, the more options the better.

Or SGB if there's a way to somehow switch palettes based on location like Yellow does.

I mean, it would still be nice to have the full color patch fully working.

vree

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I also don't think you are waisting your time. Actually I'm refreshing this topic every 2 hours or so hoping for a breakthrough.... Yeah... I know....

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So...
I didn't mean any offense, and in that thought, it would be nice to have that as an option. It would actually be possible to implement without fixing the emulator since you don't need as many palettes.

@shinyquagsire23 Thanks for the Idea, I might be able to find the exact colors!

Reactions: izy

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a dumb question to ask at this point, but I'll bite.

Where exactly in the GBC's RAM are colors stored?
Up to now, I've been screwing around with the ColorX variables in patches, but I think I'd get much farther by understanding how exactly the colors work rather than just tinkering with emulator patching.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheStoneBanana Register $FF68 is the ID of the palette byte which appears at $FF69
@shinyquagsire23 This might help, it's a direct read of palettes from the VC, and it's supposed to all be 0x0000 except for the first color I made 0x7FFF so you can see.
FLVkvlm.jpg

So it literally just writes 0xFFFF to colors 2-4 of palletes 5 and 6

Attachments

• paletteTest2.rar
    1 MB · Views: 177
Reactions: shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheStoneBanana Register $FF68 is the ID of the palette byte which appears at $FF69
@shinyquagsire23 This might help, it's a direct read of palettes from the VC, and it's supposed to all be 0x0000 except for the first color I made 0x7FFF so you can see.
FLVkvlm.jpg

So it literally just writes 0xFFFF to colors 2-4 of palletes 5 and 6
Hm, kinda disappointed by the lack of other colors but I suppose I could work from that.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you dumb that down for me a bit? :V
As someone who has never worked with the Gameboy, I know what Bytes and Registers and etc. are from previous experience, but I don't quite know what I'm staring at here.
EDIT: Nevermind! I looked up some technical documents and I get it now.

Last edited by Deleted member 370283,

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, kinda disappointed by the lack of other colors but I suppose I could work from that.
if it helps, you can modify the palettes in the test i uploaded, palette data starts at 0x1000. Im just curious as to why the emulator would blank them out... Maybe its a side effect. If i were you, id put a custom palette in my rom, and search for it in ntr, so you can get the exact addresses of the palettes the emulator writes to

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1