ROM Hack [GB(C)] Injection with the New Generation of VC

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the double post, but I feel the need to mention this.
If you are more comfortable using HANS to modify the Pokemon VC game files, there's something you can do to get the game to boot with HANS.
Basically, just delete all of the leftover junk patches and JP/EUR language files. It will significantly reduce the size of the app, and in return, makes it work with HANS! :D
Odd, were you unable to get it running with all the stuff intact at all? I've mostly been using HANS when commenting out patches to see the changes they make. I've never had to take any files out to get it to load, with exception of replacing the rom with another game. To get around removing the patches when injecting different games you can also rename the rom to the standard vc_rom.bin. Patches are only applied to the rom of the same filename it seems.

As a side note when I commented out [fight_ret] and [fight_ret_c] the games would get out of sync when battling with an untouched version of VC Red. Namely damage not being the same across both games as one pokemon would faint on one 3DS with the other 3DS showing both as alive. This would end the battle on one 3Ds while the other was stuck waiting for communication.

The patches after that seem to only deal with the graphical changes in moves.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, were you unable to get it running with all the stuff intact at all? I've mostly been using HANS when commenting out patches to see the changes they make. I've never had to take any files out to get it to load, with exception of replacing the rom with another game.
Nope, in the stock VC release, HANS would freeze on a red screen.
Now it does nothing of the sort.

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, in the stock VC release, HANS would freeze on a red screen.
Now it does nothing of the sort.
Weird. Good to know though if anyone else is having trouble getting HANS to load things correctly. It is certainly easier to use HANS than to rebuild the entire CIA everytime.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So doing some testing from Mode 2... it still doesn't make any sense to me.
I set the address to the first letter of a text message. Then, I set the Type to many different numbers.
All of them lead to the original value of $85 (representing the F tile) being changed to $FC (which represents the 6 tile).

I haven't tried other things yet, but so far, I'm more confused than before.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any address I've set it to so far, it changes the value to $FC.
?????????

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set the address to the first letter of a text message. Then, I set the Type to many different numbers.
All of them lead to the original value of $85 (representing the F tile) being changed to $FC (which represents the 6 tile).

?????????

And changing the type seemingly does nothing? They all modify the value to be $FC? Its a bit beyond my knowledge but it certain is an odd behavior.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, seemingly changing the type does NOTHING.

I did, however, stumble upon this within another VC game's patch:
;Type = 0 ;Normal: 0:Begin 1:End; Mode2: Value Type
;Address = x1F8000 ;ROM Address
;Fixcode = 0 ;Mode1: Fixed Rom Code; Mode2: Fixed Value
So apparently the Type variable, when in Mode2, sets the type of value? Yet, changing it does nothing (seemingly)

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my thought of predefined values being called might have some truth? I did notice that there are some patches that use the same type when modifying addresses. Namely, in the US red patch dmgapae0.e69.patch [Network424] and [Network200]. Most everything else has a different type.

Also do you have any insight as to what [SaveLimit] might do? I can't find a reference to mode 12. Wait. Unless its mode 1 and 2 together judging by it's variables. I'm probably just babbling at this point ahahaha.

wownmnpare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. Is there any simple instruction on how to inject pokemon G/S/C in the new VC? :)
Im in 4.5 sysnand and latest emunand rxtools o3ds BTW. Thanks in advance :)

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm yea... I managed out how to inject pokemon crystal into blue (german version) but how did I fix this sh**? And when I try to get out of my room, the game crashes. My patch I must edit is: ''Dmgaped0.h36.patch'' because the game is named ''Dmgaped0.h36'' but I don't know what I must edit with the Editor to fix this... Any help?

IMG_1205-horz.jpg

Reactions: XRaidersP

zeon_xp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the Spanish version of the Red VC game. How can I extract the gb rom to apply a patch? Thanks.

edit: nvm, done :D

Last edited by zeon_xp,

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other then linking functions what makes injection for this Virtual console verson better then injections for old virtual console? I mean it not like your gonna to run into some who happens to have the same custom new virtual console game as you and trade with you.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other then linking functions what makes injection for this Virtual console verson better then injections for old virtual console? I mean it not like your gonna to run into some who happens to have the same custom new virtual console game as you and trade with you.

Actually there is a Differance between this and Yellow injecting with other GBC VC's the vocal Cry of Pikachu is silent and isnt played. (teeeniest differance but you did ask :D )

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

?????????
This is an invalid instruction in GBZ80 ASM. It's possible they use it so that the emulator triggers something like wireless? See if that mode 2 is used for anything not wireless.
EDIT: after looking in yellows, it seems it's used for sound and wireless. This is probably so it brances to special functions built in the emulator defined by type, and uses the memory in address (that's my theory atleast)
Also, keep in mind that code patches can patch ROM, but 0x8000-0xFFFF more or less is the Gameboy's RAM, so there would probably be a different mode for patching 0x8000-0xFFFF of RAM, and one for 0x0000-size of ROM for the ROM. (Maybe mode 3)

Actually there is a Differance between this and Yellow injecting with other GBC VC's the vocal Cry of Pikachu is silent and isnt played. (teeeniest differance but you did ask :D )
Yellow was modified to play BCSTM's for pikachus voice. The emulator doesnt actually emulate it

If the full color red/blue hack works, it should work with vanilla games

Also, I'm assuming that only one patch file is used, and that's the one with the same name as the rom file

Edit: I wonder what uncommenting
;[Fix pokemon]
;Mode = 2
;Address = 0x1551
;Type = 3
does...

Last edited by froggestspirit,
Reactions: kohu

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a question!

If i manage to dump my gb caartridge save of pokemon red, can i inject it in the rom?

I would love to have my old pokemon in my 3ds

kohu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the full color red/blue hack works, it should work with vanilla games

Also, I'm assuming that only one patch file is used, and that's the one with the same name as the rom file

Edit: I wonder what uncommenting
;[Fix pokemon]
;Mode = 2
;Address = 0x1551
;Type = 3
does...

Yeah, full color hack works with exception of the odd pallet issues. Trading from full color hack to retail is OK if all patches are applied. You are also correct that the patch files correspond to the file name in the rom folder and only one is applied at runtime. As for your other comments I'm not to knowledgeable. I know I tried in commenting that part but don't recall anything special occurring. It is worth pursuing I think, but I'm more inserted in what mode 2 is actually doing and what the types mean.

EDIT: Forgot to say the reason I'm interested in putting these patches in other games is for the time capsule in g/s/c at the very least so I can interact with retail games still :)

@Jhyrachy save injection is possible. I think there was another thread that was working with but I know not much needs to be done to inject the save

Last edited by kohu,

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think changing something in those patchs does not really do anything. I know that I can't get Crystal to work normally. Changing offsets does not do anything. I'm more focused on Gold and Silver, I have first results but even if I try to talk with my kickass rival or trying to pick a starter pokemon, the game still reloops.

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally think changing something in those patchs does not really do anything. I know that I can't get Crystal to work normally. Changing offsets does not do anything.
In terms of trading, my theory is that the patches completely fake out the link cable, making the game THINK it's connected. Then, when the game tries to send data over the cable, the emulator kicks in and does its job.
But hey, that's just a theory. A PAAATCH theory.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of trading, my theory is that the patches completely fake out the link cable, making the game THINK it's connected. Then, when the game tries to send data over the cable, the emulator kicks in and does its job.
But hey, that's just a theory. A PAAATCH theory.
Sounds reasonable. But on my Crystal I must first find out how to leave my room. Everytime I try to leave it, the game freezes. So it has something to do with the GBC rom itself, that the VC can't handle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol