Hacking Gateway3ds to CFW? Not sure what state my 3DS is in now.

newbie_3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
  • Make a directory in the SD root called /Payloads/
  • Put the GW B9S BIN (step 3) in to the /Payloads/ dir and rename it to GW.BIN
  • MOVE the boot.bin in the root of your SD (should be Luma itself) to the /Payloads/ DIR and rename it luma.bin
  • put the .bin from BootCTR9 (from step 2) in the root or your sd (rename it to boot.bin if it's not)
  • get the boot_config.ini from the zip in step 1 and place the ini in the SD root.

shouldnt i use the converted gw.firm? And luma is in boot.firm format as well not a bin file?
is it better for me to use fastboot3ds instead? I dont have anything installed on my emunand so i dont care to transfer it to my sysnand

Last edited by newbie_3ds,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
shouldnt i use the converted gw.firm? And luma is in boot.firm format as well not a bin file?
is it better for me to use fastboot3ds instead? I dont have anything installed on my emunand so i dont care to transfer it to my sysnand
Fastboot is very bad...
The bin is because it is using an old A9LH way of doing things, but it will work with B9S if you follow the instructions. If I were you I wouldn't bother, unless you can understand what you're doing, and you really, really want to have access to Gateway mode

newbie_3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Fastboot is very bad...
The bin is because it is using an old A9LH way of doing things, but it will work with B9S if you follow the instructions. If I were you I wouldn't bother, unless you can understand what you're doing, and you really, really want to have access to Gateway mode
I really want gw mode. So will i use the .firm files. Lume is in firm format.

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want gw mode. So will i use the .firm files. Lume is in firm format.

Yes, .firm files, I've been doing this a long time. It was .bin now it's .firm... At least I didn't say .dol! lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay. To be honest, if I want optimal setup, I need to know your setup. Or risk redoing steps. Is your EmuNAND and SysNAND linked? On your internal SD, inside the Nintendo 3ds folder how many folders with random number names are there?
If you have 2 (or more) your NANDS may already be separate. If you change the wallpaper in Luma does it change the wallpaper in GW mode? If NOT just leave the working GW EmuNAND alone and don't move it to SysNAND. Then your GW NAND is setup and all you need is to set up the BootCTR9.firm and configure it to boot Luma.firm and GW.firm (Use the ini data I put in the spoiler)...

And don't use fastboot. It's really crappy. Dangerous. Luma all the way. Only use GW mode for your Red Cart Offline. Use Luma for everything else. You can boot to your EmuNAND in Luma too. I leave the blue cart in my GW 3ds these days. Don't use the red one unless my nephews are here. Then I can throw the kid safe GW cart in to my 3DS. I use one of the dynamic scripts in the All in one pack AIO I was talking about. There's a bunch of useful scripts to swap configurations and stuff. I think InScripted wanted to make it possible to do EVERYTHING without a PC after an initial copy and paste job. So when they are here, I put the GW in, go in to Godmode9, Run a script and it makes GW the default to boot up. I leave the EmuNAND blank and filled up a 64GB SD with all kid friendly stuff. This way I don't have to open the 3DS to swap SD, I only loose 1 GB in my 128GB card inside the 3DS. And until I run the script to make luma default again, The 5 and 7 year olds can't access My stuff on the SysNAND at all. No missing save file because a kid deleted it. And the fact that I have every M rated game and then some in there is cool too.

Couple other things I did was I made a Wallpaper in all red saying "GATEWAY MODE DO NOT UPDATE" and apply it to the GW NAND. I put a PIN on Luma with a message saying Reward If Found with my contact info. I took the SD out completely. Boot in to Luma with no SD (needs boot.firm copied in to SysNAND) and set a password on it. Then I set up a custom message for the pin that says "STOLEN!! DO NOT PAWN! Gamestop Employee, This system is stolen. Contact [contact information] [3ds serial number] REWARD$!!!. I put a theme on the sd-less mode as well with the same message in all red. I take my 3DS everywhere and now if I lose it or someone steals it they will see the Reward message. If they take out the SD to try to get through the PIN it will show STOLEN!. If they throw a blank SD in there it wont boot. I know there are ways around it and there is also 3dsSAFE but this seemed like an easier route. Most people won't know and someone might call me.

Last edited by mikefor20,

newbie_3ds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yes, .firm files, I've been doing this a long time. It was .bin now it's .firm... At least I didn't say .dol! lol

Okay. To be honest, if I want optimal setup, I need to know your setup. Or risk redoing steps. Is your EmuNAND and SysNAND linked? On your internal SD, inside the Nintendo 3ds folder how many folders with random number names are there?
If you have 2 (or more) your NANDS may already be separate. If you change the wallpaper in Luma does it change the wallpaper in GW mode? If NOT just leave the working GW EmuNAND alone and don't move it to SysNAND. Then your GW NAND is setup and all you need is to set up the BootCTR9.firm and configure it to boot Luma.firm and GW.firm (Use the ini data I put in the spoiler)...

And don't use fastboot. It's really crappy. Dangerous. Luma all the way. Only use GW mode for your Red Cart Offline. Use Luma for everything else. You can boot to your EmuNAND in Luma too. I leave the blue cart in my GW 3ds these days. Don't use the red one unless my nephews are here. Then I can throw the kid safe GW cart in to my 3DS. I use one of the dynamic scripts in the All in one pack AIO I was talking about. There's a bunch of useful scripts to swap configurations and stuff. I think InScripted wanted to make it possible to do EVERYTHING without a PC after an initial copy and paste job. So when they are here, I put the GW in, go in to Godmode9, Run a script and it makes GW the default to boot up. I leave the EmuNAND blank and filled up a 64GB SD with all kid friendly stuff. This way I don't have to open the 3DS to swap SD, I only loose 1 GB in my 128GB card inside the 3DS. And until I run the script to make luma default again, The 5 and 7 year olds can't access My stuff on the SysNAND at all. No missing save file because a kid deleted it. And the fact that I have every M rated game and then some in there is cool too.

Couple other things I did was I made a Wallpaper in all red saying "GATEWAY MODE DO NOT UPDATE" and apply it to the GW NAND. I put a PIN on Luma with a message saying Reward If Found with my contact info. I took the SD out completely. Boot in to Luma with no SD (needs boot.firm copied in to SysNAND) and set a password on it. Then I set up a custom message for the pin that says "STOLEN!! DO NOT PAWN! Gamestop Employee, This system is stolen. Contact [contact information] [3ds serial number] REWARD$!!!. I put a theme on the sd-less mode as well with the same message in all red. I take my 3DS everywhere and now if I lose it or someone steals it they will see the Reward message. If they take out the SD to try to get through the PIN it will show STOLEN!. If they throw a blank SD in there it wont boot. I know there are ways around it and there is also 3dsSAFE but this seemed like an easier route. Most people won't know and someone might call me.
the ini file you made is in bin format and the files i have are in firm format

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL fx it!. Just use notepad to change the .bin to .firm. Ill do it later but you could fix it yourself EASILY....

Comments starts with ";" or "#", so you need to remove it first to the
;line actually do something.

;configuration with ascii boot Image
;You have also 1 sec to press the button for the payload you want to boot
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000
boot_splash = 0
enableAutosoftboot = 1
enableArm9CompanionBoot = 1

;Section to allow a9lh net companion payload auto booting
[COMPANION]
path = /a9nc.bin
delay = 100
offset = 0
payload = -1

;luma with BootAnimation and enabled Pathfix
[DEFAULT]
path = /Payloads/luma.firm
delay = 1000
splash = 4
splash_image = /Animations/anim
screenBrightness = 0x30
enablePathFix = 1

;Gateway no splash
[KEY_R]
path = /Payloads/GW.firm
delay = 1000
offset = 0x12000
splash = 0
splash_image = /Splashes/splash.bin

;Reinand.dat with offset and ascii splash
[KEY_DUP]
path = /ReiNand.dat
delay = 1000
offset = 0x12000
splash = 1

;Each key can be defined using a section, like the example below. Section
;names must be ALL caps, and between "[]". Valid keys:
;You MUST set at least "path" for each section, and it is the ONLY option you
;should set in the majority of cases.
;Double check the path, since it must be correct (including caps).
;Boot examples for almost every CFW out there.
;You can use only binary (.bin, .dat) payloads
;[KEY_A]
;path = /rxTools/sys/code.bin
;[KEY_B]
;path = /Cakes.dat
;[KEY_Y]
;path = /ReiNand.dat
;An important remark: the majority of CFWs set L button to show menu instead
;of autobooting. So it is generally a bad idea to set L button to CFW boot,
;but if you use a delay, you have time to release the key so the CFW menu will
;not be shown.

Site & Scene News