Deleted some red files trough FBI on my new 3DS XL and now its noot booting

3dshacknoob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey,

I'm a 3DS noob, who bought a modded System like a week ago. It ran smoothly with no issues, I was really happy about it and then I started to play around in the files...
in FBI I opened the "File" directory and saw many red files. I assumed these were leftovers from deleted games, so I began deleting them :tpi:. After a few files I got an errormessage and now the system isn't booting. When I try to start it the light stays blue.
After some thought I booted it without the SD card and got this screen:
WIN_20230921_16_54_24_Pro.jpg

After some onlineresearch I found nothing and pressed "Save and exit". Well... the system isn't booting again. I'm a noob who just bought a 3DS and had no experience before. Did I delete "System32"? Any help is highly appreciated.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey,

I'm a 3DS noob, who bought a modded System like a week ago. It ran smoothly with no issues, I was really happy about it and then I started to play around in the files...
in FBI I opened the "File" directory and saw many red files. I assumed these were leftovers from deleted games, so I began deleting them :tpi:. After a few files I got an errormessage and now the system isn't booting. When I try to start it the light stays blue.
After some thought I booted it without the SD card and got this screen:
View attachment 395176

After some onlineresearch I found nothing and pressed "Save and exit". Well... the system isn't booting again. I'm a noob who just bought a 3DS and had no experience before. Did I delete "System32"? Any help is highly appreciated.
That was not "File", that was "Titles", which contains your installed titles.
Restore a NAND backup, or if you don't have one, perform a ctrtransfer by following https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer
If you can't download the ctrtransfer images on that page (apparently there was some trouble with them) you can also find images on archive.org *snip*

Last edited by DinohScene,
Reactions: zfreeman

3dshacknoob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately I have no backup. I will perform the ctrtransfer! I do not care about any files / saves or whatever on this system, it's new for me and right now I want it live again.
Thank you very much for your fast responses, will update here later.

Edit: yes it was "Titles"

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is not the first time somebody deleted system titles with FBI. There isn't much safety mechanism in this regard.

Pretty much just the red color as a warning using our instincts. Red → Danger!

Unfortunately I have no backup.
How can this happen? The guide tells you to create a backup (and in case of selling a modded system the backup should be already on SD – a sign why you should have done the modding yourself instead of relying on somebody else).

In any case try recovery mode first instead of the more invasive CTRTransfer.

If you have any further problems or questions, just ask here before doing anything you don't understand. Chances are you will get a nice reply pretty soon.

Good luck and have fun!

@The Real Jdbye
I'm really sorry to say this, I know it makes no sense, but you should not link to those images. Yes, your post is very helpful… still sharing Nintendo binaries.
*Sigh*
Copyright laws are stupid at times.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it just me, or is it common sense to NOT go poking around in the file system of something and deleting things almost at complete random just for more space?
Personally, I think FBI ought to make it more clear that deleting certain things is a bad idea rather than just labeling titles with question marks and hoping people will figure it out. But eh, I'm not a developer.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think FBI ought to make it more clear that deleting certain things is a bad idea rather than just labeling titles with question marks and hoping people will figure it out. But eh, I'm not a developer.
I mean you are not expected to be going into FBI and deleting things unless you know what you are doing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?