3ds system settings error after removing cfw (probably the wrong way)

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
I am having issues accessing system settings on my new 3ds.
Years ago I removed cfw I believe the wrong way and now I dont know how to fix it. I tried fixing it long ago but ended up giving up.
Now here I am back trying to figure out what to do. I can open the eshop just fine and everything else opens just fine, but when I try to open the system settings itll crash and say error and just restart the console. Now removing cfw was probably the dumbest thing to do but that was my mistake.
I tried many different methods to fix the issue from googling and non of them worked. I also do not have a backup of my sysnand from before putting cfw on the 3ds, so I want to assume I'm out of luck?

Please help me out. Thanks!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reinstall B9S according to https://3ds.hacks.guide/
Some methods rely on System Settings, but others don't. The preferred method would be ntrboot → that works regardless of software damage.

In the best case all problems disappear then. If not you will have at least access to tools in order trying to fix things.

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi!
I am having issues accessing system settings on my new 3ds.
Years ago I removed cfw I believe the wrong way and now I dont know how to fix it. I tried fixing it long ago but ended up giving up.
Now here I am back trying to figure out what to do. I can open the eshop just fine and everything else opens just fine, but when I try to open the system settings itll crash and say error and just restart the console. Now removing cfw was probably the dumbest thing to do but that was my mistake.
I tried many different methods to fix the issue from googling and non of them worked. I also do not have a backup of my sysnand from before putting cfw on the 3ds, so I want to assume I'm out of luck?

Please help me out. Thanks!
Use ntrboot to reinstall boot9strap (using 3ds.hacks.guide). Did you have a custom keyboard installed before uninstalling? If so, that would make System Settings inaccessible because it is not signed and I believe Luma patches it out.

Why did you uninstall CFW, out of curiosity?

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use ntrboot to reinstall boot9strap (using 3ds.hacks.guide). Did you have a custom keyboard installed before uninstalling? If so, that would make System Settings inaccessible because it is not signed and I believe Luma patches it out.

Why did you uninstall CFW, out of curiosity?
I uninstalled cfw on the 3ds because I was slacking money wise and wanted to sell it. I already had another system that was modded, also no I don’t recall having a custom keyboard on it. Also I don’t have a flashcart haha so which flashcart would be best to get?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On every guide, tutorial and post I have reading they stated DO NOT REMOVE CFW, then why do you need to remove CFW?
Well. It was just stated that they were wanting to sell the console. Its about the one and only time that cfw removal would be considered.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well. It was just stated that they were wanting to sell the console. Its about the one and only time that cfw removal would be considered.
The guides even recommend not to do that if you are going to sell, there are several guides to leave the console on a SD less mode and do not mess around getting this issue. but you don't cry about the spilled milk :(

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guides even recommend not to do that if you are going to sell, there are several guides to leave the console on a SD less mode and do not mess around getting this issue. but you don't cry about the spilled milk :(
Well…it was a simple mistake on my part ok?
No need to get harsh..
Did you try updating in Safe Mode?
yes I have.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

zeldaxlink64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I uninstalled cfw on the 3ds because I was slacking money wise and wanted to sell it. I already had another system that was modded, also no I don’t recall having a custom keyboard on it. Also I don’t have a flashcart haha so which flashcart would be best to get?
The best flashcart to get is probably the Ace3DS X as it is relatively inexpensive on AliExpress and is preflashed with ntrboot (switch in the up position). Make sure to have a microSD card in it for it to function, even in ntrboot mode.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No It doesnt fix the issue. Still cant access the system settings. @ this moment I can not try anything rn cause work but ill try something later.
I wouldn't have expected the updater to repair the issue. Not likely to be a missing title.
My question targets the following aspects:
  • Does the updater start in save mode?
  • If so, does the update succeed (or say that there is not update)
If you have latest version, you could try the browser exploit method.
=========

This is the future-proof alternative:
The best flashcart to get is probably the Ace3DS X as it is relatively inexpensive on AliExpress and is preflashed with ntrboot (switch in the up position). Make sure to have a microSD card in it for it to function, even in ntrboot mode.

I've posted this before in similar cases: If all else fails use fire ntrboot.
usefire-png.342759

Reactions: zeldaxlink64

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have expected the updater to repair the issue. Not likely to be a missing title.
My question targets the following aspects:
  • Does the updater start in save mode?
  • If so, does the update succeed (or say that there is not update)
If you have latest version, you could try the browser exploit method.
=========

This is the future-proof alternative:

I've posted this before in similar cases: If all else fails use fire ntrboot.
usefire-png.342759
Hahaha

Ok I’ll try everything later & see the result. Also…when I do try the safe mode update, it will say that the update is complete and then restart the system but it doesnt fix the issue.

Is there also any other way to see the system ver or can that only be seen by the settings.
😅😅😅

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

1_96pu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good.

Open web browser, go to settings. On the very bottom there should be a version number.
For me it shows 1.12.10178 for N3DSXL on latest version. This is a higher number than on https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Internet_Browser given for 11.14.0-46 (→ version 1.11.10172)
It is on the latest version, as that is the number the browser shows! :)
Post automatically merged:

It is on the latest version, as that is the number the browser shows! :)
ok i tried the browser exploit and I just keep getting an error.. so I guess I'll have to try ntrboot

Last edited by 1_96pu,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On every guide, tutorial and post I have reading they stated DO NOT REMOVE CFW, then why do you need to remove CFW?

Very true, I actually have sold few 3ds with CFW on it so it is not a problem to sell with CFW, that rule of not removing CFW apply very well to region changed unit, it specified not to remove CFW for unit that has been region changed.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here