Hacking Homebrew advice for super-skaterhax?

freakscene

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so recently ive gotten back to modding my usa new 3dsxl after realizing super-skaterhax now works for my model, but im a bit stuck. mostly because i dont want to brick or break anything. last time i did this, i got past the bannerbomb3 exploit and updated my ds, before coming across a memory issue where my microsds were partitioning when put into my pc which caused the ds to only recognize the 200 or so mb of space on the one partition, which stopped me from continuing since i now couldnt get bb3 to work with the newer version. would any of these past issues interfere with s-sh? im overly cautious about it since i really dont want to mess up this 3ds lol. if i hadnt already gone through the modding process on my old 2ds as practice a while ago id test it out on there

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
before coming across a memory issue where my microsds were partitioning when put into my pc which caused the ds to only recognize the 200 or so mb of space on the one partition
This doesn't make any sense. Cards do not somehow magically "partition" themselves. The only reason something like that should happen is if your SD card is failing – in which case the standard procedure is to copy everything off with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay.

Reactions: AbolishIPLaws

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
While I believe anybody can get this exploit to work with practice, I have to confess it's one of the most difficult exploits for a user to run, ever.

You have to follow instructions PRECISELY, and just as importantly, don't ADD any steps. There's little room for variance in how the browser is run up until the exploit is triggered - even the smallest thing like an extra tap of the stylus can throw it off.

My best advice is to watch videos of how to run skaterhax and do exactly what they do.

This following youtuber gives a good example of how to pull it off. And yes, I know everybody in this scene says to avoid watching hacking how-to vids, but as the dev of super-skaterhax, I recommend it (at least the hax trigger parts).

Jump to 10:55 for the exploit sequence:

And it you still can't get it to work, don't worry, I'm working on easier hax releases.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This following youtuber gives a good example of how to pull it off. And yes, I know everybody in this scene says to avoid watching hacking how-to vids, but as the dev of super-skaterhax, I recommend it (at least the hax trigger parts).
That is mostly due to the mass of bad videos out there.
Hard to give advise without watching every mediocre video out there.
If there was one "official" video, this wasn't a problem.

Video or text description, I don't think it is too much to ask people to accurately follow a given tutorial.

And it you still can't get it to work, don't worry, I'm working on easier hax releases.
👍 I was hoping for this. 👍
Thank you! As always.

freakscene

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This doesn't make any sense. Cards do not somehow magically "partition" themselves. The only reason something like that should happen is if your SD card is failing – in which case the standard procedure is to copy everything off with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay.

doesnt make any sense to me either, both the sd card that was always in my 3ds that was never removed or modified previously and the new one i put in did the same thing ヽ(ー_ー )ノ i already tested them and nothing was wrong so who knows what was going on lol

While I believe anybody can get this exploit to work with practice, I have to confess it's one of the most difficult exploits for a user to run, ever.

You have to follow instructions PRECISELY, and just as importantly, don't ADD any steps. There's little room for variance in how the browser is run up until the exploit is triggered - even the smallest thing like an extra tap of the stylus can throw it off.

My best advice is to watch videos of how to run skaterhax and do exactly what they do.

Jump to 10:55 for the exploit sequence:

ty for replying! ill give it a try tomorrow morning so lack of sleep doesnt make me do anything stupid

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
both the sd card that was always in my 3ds that was never removed or modified previously and the new one i put in did the same thing ヽ(ー_ー )ノ
That suggests either your SD card reader is faulty, or you have something weird installed on your PC.

i already tested them and nothing was wrong
You tested them by formatting them and using h2testw, and they still somehow got re-partitioned to 200 MB?!

What do you mean by your "ds only recognized the 200 or so mb of space", anyway? A 3DS typically measures storage size in "blocks", not megabytes.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blaine Lockhart makes some really amazing how-to guides, its better than videos that gets outdated super easily.

freakscene

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That suggests either your SD card reader is faulty, or you have something weird installed on your PC.

You tested them by formatting them and using h2testw, and they still somehow got re-partitioned to 200 MB?!

What do you mean by your "ds only recognized the 200 or so mb of space", anyway? A 3DS typically measures storage size in "blocks", not megabytes.

could be the reader, i considered that originally but the regular sd card from my 2ds worked fine with it, it didnt get re-partitioned after i fixed it though. and the ds was reading from the 200mb partition instead of the bigger one which led to space issues when i was doing something with gm9

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played