Status
Not open for further replies.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how would I avoid that?

Order from somewhere else if you don't have any cards that don't charge currency conversion fees, or add 10% to the price shown and decide if it is still the cheapest option. (Conversion fees will most likely be under 10% though, that is a high estimate). Some cards will charge you 3% foreign transaction fee + 3% currency conversion fee... but that's all up to your card issuer, not the seller.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Order from somewhere else if you don't have any cards that don't charge currency conversion fees, or add 10% to the price shown and decide if it is still the cheapest option. (Conversion fees will most likely be under 10% though, that is a high estimate). Some cards will charge you 3% foreign transaction fee + 3% currency conversion fee... but that's all up to your card issuer, not the seller.

I dont get what conversion fees? The card is $62 with a $4 shipping fee.

It's safe dude I've ordered twice before from them with no issues

Im guessing they ship from China am I right? How much time did you have to wait for the package to arrive?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know if they always do it or just sometimes, but they charge the card you use for the CNY equivalent of the $62+shipping. So they convert US$66 to ~CNY 405, then charge your card for CNY 405. Your card issuer then converts US$66 to CNY 405, sends the CNY to the seller. Then most cards will also charge you 3-6% fees for doing the conversion. Not all do though.

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Jesus christ guys, how do you not know your own credit card policies?

For those that dont know what their policy is, stop asking here, ask your credit card company, usually its part of a FAQ on their site.

I use CapitalOne and I know they never charge currency conversion fees (so when I travel to Europe or Carribean I can freely use my CC in any country). Also as far as conversion rates, the store will charge in their local currency. So Canada will charge in Canadian Dollars, your credit card pay them in Canadian dollars, but charges you converted price (no fees, just straight up conversion rate). This is actually REALLY GOOD, as credit card will convert based on current conversion rate, i.e. rate you cant buy at, as sellers need to make money. So for example for trips to Europe, if I spend a few grand on my credit card, I save a few hundred bucks by using credit card over cash.

For those that cant wrap their hand around it here is an example.

Lets say I need to pay in Euros, and conversion rate is 1 Euro is 2 dollars. Lets say my product (lets say a cup of coffee) is 1 Euro.

If I were to buy 1 Euro with my dollars, the seller will never sell me at 2 dollars, they will sell to me at a little higher price, like 2.1 dollars. So I end up paying 2.1 dollars for 1 euro. Where credit card company, will pay them the same 1 Euro, but charge you conversion rate. So 2 dollars, so your cup of coffee is 2 dollars instad of 2.1... now thats a small difference, but if you are talking 100 Euros, this can be 10 dollars. This benefit is negated most of the time by credit card conversion fees, but some companies like CapitalOne do not charge fees, so win/win.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Jesus christ guys, how do you not know your own credit card policies?

For those that dont know what their policy is, stop asking here, ask your credit card company, usually its part of a FAQ on their site.

I use CapitalOne and I know they never charge currency conversion fees (so when I travel to Europe or Carribean I can freely use my CC in any country). Also as far as conversion rates, the store will charge in their local currency. So Canada will charge in Canadian Dollars, your credit card pay them in Canadian dollars, but charges you converted price (no fees, just straight up conversion rate). This is actually REALLY GOOD, as credit card will convert based on current conversion rate, i.e. rate you cant buy at, as sellers need to make money. So for example for trips to Europe, if I spend a few grand on my credit card, I save a few hundred bucks by using credit card over cash.

For those that cant wrap their hand around it here is an example.

Lets say I need to pay in Euros, and conversion rate is 1 Euro is 2 dollars. Lets say my product (lets say a cup of coffee) is 1 Euro.

If I were to buy 1 Euro with my dollars, the seller will never sell me at 2 dollars, they will sell to me at a little higher price, like 2.1 dollars. So I end up paying 2.1 dollars for 1 euro. Where credit card company, will pay them the same 1 Euro, but charge you conversion rate. So 2 dollars, so your cup of coffee is 2 dollars instad of 2.1... now thats a small difference, but if you are talking 100 Euros, this can be 10 dollars. This benefit is negated most of the time by credit card conversion fees, but some companies like CapitalOne do not charge fees, so win/win.
i feel like i just read a capital one sales pitch .....but i suppose you explained the concept to people so its all good :P

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i feel like i just read a capital one sales pitch .....but i suppose you explained the concept to people so its all good :P

Haha, yeah, I just know they dont charge conversion fees, everyone has to check their own credit card. but they are pretty huge so a lot of people may already have them. As far as concept it basically works like that for any credit card company.

CarefulCrysis

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Im guessing they ship from China am I right? How much time did you have to wait for the package to arrive?
They shipped from Singapore and took 9 working days to reach me in the UK standard delivery was fantastic service to be honest.

CarefulCrysis

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow thats fast! Did you buy a GW from them or? I mean I dont want to end with a fake.
I purchased an R4i RTS Gold card, I've literally just ordered a GW from them so it should be here soonish. I'll leave a post when it arrives, cost me £38.53 plus postage with no added currency charges using Barclays Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Shubshub @ Shubshub: oshit its the real jdbye