Gateway for n(new)3ds or sky for n(new)3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by tivanh, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tivanh
    OP

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    The has been a lot of talk and not much action on the new 3ds system.....

Actions speak louder than words.......

Talk - People keep talking that sky will be blocked and its an easy block?
    If it is an easy block why not block it like they did smea and the gateway for over 9.x? A coder would from all the talk have less hassle and coding time to add that to one of the last updates?

Action - sky continues to work after several updates.......

Talk - Gateway are going to release support for the n3ds, apparently limited like the other 3ds models to >=9.2 system firmware. Also emunand is limited to >9.5 so no future for future games and eshop.

Action - No support for above 9.2 on any model and no support at all for the n3ds model....

Is there official confirmation from the GW team that the n3ds will even be supported at all in a manner practically usable. No videos or hearsay, no "we are working on it" rubbish, an official statement that "it is working" or "it's working but just being refined and tested" at a worst?

Can we keep this factual and non hypothetical and just talk, for the noobs. People are spending money on what he said and what she said and what maybe.

We are the community and lets look after each other and keep fanboy bs and hate out of this.

SLiV3R, Multiboy2k and Vickyle like this.
  2. Raz266

Raz266 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Considering Sky is the only one that works on the N3DS if you wanna play Roms then that's your option, if you want to play the waiting game then there is always Gateway. That's pretty much it. Gateway clearly has more Features but so far with 3 months of *Soon* your taking a Gamble buying a Gateway with no official response from them.

cvskid, SLiV3R and Vickyle like this.
  3. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    sky3DS has a working product, sure. If all you want is piracy, sky3DS is a viable option for that. Mind you though that Gateway has a working kernel exploit, the actual hard part of N3DS support is done. If they never released support they'd be throwing away money. And in regards to 9.5 emuNAND, that's been found to be flawed and it's likely that it won't be as large a hurdle as it originally appeared. So while it's not out yet, they have enough done that it's definitely happening regardless.

sky3DS has not beel blocked yet, but it has the same potential to be blocked as a normal DS flash cart, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that thing lasting as long as the DSTwo, unless ofc they magically come out with another cart or something. But, again, if all you want to do is pirate, sky3DS works perfect for that, at the cost of not having other features which may open other doors later on.

Miles54321 and Vickyle like this.
  4. tivanh
    OP

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009

Do we have any thing to support this statement other than premise or beliefs? A statement from the team?

thaikhoa likes this.
  5. dandymanz

dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal
    After waiting since Nov'14 for the Gateway release, i have finally taken the plunge and went for the QQ3DS (Sky3ds clone). The fact that Gateway doesn't support Emunand 9.5 for the N3DS made me move earlier for the QQ3DS

Even though i believe that Gateway will improve their support for the N3DS system eventually. But i'm not wasting my time waiting for it on my brand new hardware. There's not much features i will miss from Gateway other than their region free support.

6. tivanh
    OP

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009

I personally think gateway is great, the team though and pr skills, not so much.

From what i gather and have seen and heard there is no evidence anyone will see gateway working in a practical manner on the n3ds?

Vickyle likes this.
  7. tivanh
    OP

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009

The apparently isn't a huge amount of roms that aren't cross region and with the latest region free support (although others work and untested from my knowledge on 9.5) we have something working in the now, not future speculation....

8. dandymanz

dandymanz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Senegal

From what Gateway stated in their recent post. It does seem they will have Emunand support up till 9.4 on the N3DS.
    But since now you need to be on 9.5 to access eShop, it seems that all future updates can only be done via CIA. So you need to learn to be more "techy" to get things to work in the future.
    Also, we still don't know when this 9.4 Emunand limitation can be overcome. So if it takes too long and new games come out with ver 9.5 firmware requirements, then you'll have to start to learn how to patch your ROMS in order for them to work with Gateway.

Are you talking about the region free support released by smea? If it is, then it doesn't work on the N3DS. Only on the old 3DS models.

9. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    simple:

Sky3ds is working right now.
    Gateway3ds does not have support right now.

HOWEVER:
    Will sky3ds continue to work?
    (it is detectable and easily blocked, just wait for a major fw revision, like 10 or 11)

Will Gateway3DS eventually have support?
    (If I recall, they showed a video. It already can work, they're just ironing out the kinks)

I'll quote myself for impact:

Vickyle likes this.
  10. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    Well we do have the video showing it working. Although EU and US New 3DS units probably haven't been tested yet.

11. bennyhan1985

bennyhan1985 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2014
    Switzerland
    Right NOW only sky3ds can play roms on new 3ds

Multiboy2k, Vickyle and Thomas12345 like this.
  12. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    Huh? But didn't Gateway show us that Gateway can also play roms on New3DS a while back? So technically, Sky3DS is not the only one that can play roms on New3DS.

13. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    I'm sorry for how noob this question is going to be (haven't been in the scene since my Supercard)... but the gateway flashcart you can purchase right now will be updated to support the NN3DS, correct? They're not going to release a new flashcart just for the NN3DS, right?

14. bennyhan1985

bennyhan1985 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2014
    Switzerland
    My gateway card can't using on my new 3ds RIGHT NOW ,I'm telling the very truths ;) ;)

Thomas12345 likes this.
  15. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    LOL OK, I have on my desk a AUS N3ds and a gateway card. tell me sir, how exactly do i make my GW card work on said n3ds right now?

SLiV3R and Multiboy2k like this.
  16. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    There won't be a new Gateway flashcart. You can just purchase the Gateway right now, if you want to. (Your choice) If you do, purchase a Gateway, you will have to wait until they release the update that has support for the New3DS.
    Because the support update is not out publicly yet and the Gateway team is probably playing roms on their New3DS privately RIGHT NOW. ;):tpi:
    I never said that I know how to make it work. I'm just saying that Gateway showed us that the GW cart works on New3DS using EmuNAND and can play roms and other things.

17. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    oooo GW has a video showing they can make it work on n3ds..... do you think the OP gives one fuck about that? Until the OP himself can actually use his GW card on a n3ds, GW card is useless

god, even i don't try and trick ppl into buying sky3ds. If ur gonna recommend a flashcart at least be honest about what it can and cannot do, and the fact is the GW cart right now does not work on a n3ds.

Kugz, SLiV3R and Multiboy2k like this.
  18. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    I edited my post earlier before you posted, you know. I included that if he does buy a Gateway, he will have to start waiting for Gateway to release their new update that gives support to the New3DS. I wasn't even trying to trick anyone. I also did say it's their choice to purchase it or not.

19. bennyhan1985

bennyhan1985 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2014
    Switzerland
    The vid they should us is 2.5 months ago ,and full of "SOON AROUND THE CORNER AT THE END OF THE WEEK" ,how can you so sure for what you've said? Nobody dose.
    GW just fooling me, that's what I felt.

SLiV3R and Multiboy2k like this.
  20. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California

I actually just put in my order for a Gateway (thanks for clearing that up!), and was completely aware that by the time I got my NN3DS on release day, there would be no guarantee that Gateway would support it. I'm a patient and trusting person, and I do believe in the GW team.