Hacking Gateway Brick on b2 caught on camera finally :D

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, your test results are in, andddd, you will still be bricked even with a valid date, i set it to christmas day 2013 and bricked on the 4th try running diagnostics

BUTTTTT i think we can officially say it appears to be confined to diagnostics

That scares me. Before I knew about the brick code I did the diagnostic test about 5 times....

Cybore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set both clocks to make sure both set to christmas, launcher file has timestamp 23/12/2013

it just looks like the bug is in the diagnostics and you have pretty much a 1 in 5 chance of it getting you

im guessing the reason all the clones got hit was due to the fact that their firmware had save bug so clone users where more likely to go running diagnostics

If the bricking chance is anywhere close to this, then it is pretty unbelievable gateway would leave such a dangerous firmware available for download for such a long time. I've personally only have ran the diagnostic test once, but it's scary to think that that one test could've bricked my 3ds.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If the bricking chance is anywhere close to this, then it is pretty unbelievable gateway would leave such a dangerous firmware available for download for such a long time. I've personally only have ran the diagnostic test once, but it's scary to think that that one test could've bricked my 3ds.
well the first brick i had only run diagnostics about 5 times
second brick was just 2 times
and third brick was 4 times

so the odds are definitely not good

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're a true champion gamesquest1, great find man.

I'm running b2 now, and I'm gonna continue but I definitely will not be checking out the diagnostics check, heh.

All I can think about this is how much longer it's now going to be before the 2.0 final is released.. :sad:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You're a true champion gamesquest1, great find man.

I'm running b2 now, and I'm gonna continue but I definitely will not be checking out the diagnostics check, heh.

All I can think about this is how much longer it's now going to be before the 2.0 final is released.. :sad:
well now that i have done their bug testing for them soon hopefully :P

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well the first brick i had only run diagnostics about 5 times
second brick was just 2 times
and third brick was 4 times

so the odds are definitely not good
I haven't read the complete thread but how are the odds without touching the diagnostic test? Did it even brick without touching diagnostics at all?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I haven't read the complete thread but how are the odds without touching the diagnostic test? Did it even brick without touching diagnostics at all?
nope i booted about 70 times at first but only 5 of those times i did the diagnostics...on the 5th one it bricked
aftrwards i was testing just with trying diagnostics only and the second brick was after doing diagnostics, just twice,
the third time was bricked using diagnostics 4 times. so im pretty sure the bug is actually in the diagnostics mode specifically

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nope i booted about 70 times at first but only 5 of those times i did the diagnostics...on the 5th one it bricked
aftrwards i was testing just with trying diagnostics only and the second brick was after doing diagnostics, just twice,
the third time was bricked using diagnostics 4 times. so im pretty sure the bug is actually in the diagnostics mode specifically
So that makes sense. I remember one person who launched b2 for the first time. The first he did was the diagnostic test and got bricked.

Reactions: qUaK3R

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Gamesquest1 thank you for doing these tests and documenting it. Is it the diagnostics in the Gateway firmware that causes the brick? Or is it some 3DS diagnostics in emunand?

Edit: Just watched the second video and realized it is Gateways own diagnostic test.

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
So that makes sense. I remember one person who launched b2 for the first time. The first he did was the diagnostic test and got bricked.

That'll be Retrofan_k... So legit GW users bricked for running diagnostics mode, I thought it was down to SD card corruption :/ When I set up 2.0b2 I skipped the diagnostics test, figured it useless to the installation process.

Reactions: Queno138

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
That'll be Retrofan_k... So legit GW users bricked for running diagnostics mode, I thought it was down to SD card corruption :/ When I set up 2.0b2 I skipped the diagnostics test, figured it useless to the installation process.

Like you, I'm grateful I didn't run diagnostics test, as I was confident that everything was running well, including my SD card.

It's ironic that a step to prevent corruption, ends up bricking the device ><

D

Deleted User

Nice effort you put in there! With that video proof Gateway finally can start telling the truth :P

Anyway: I'm nowhere near good at soldering. Can anyone from Germany maybe help me out a little bit with installing the NAND thing? (No I don't have a bricked Unit - I just want to have the NAND Setup^^)

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just curious have you tried 2.0b1 diagnosis 10 or so times and see if it bricks? a lot of the gateway users have been around before 2.0x so im guessing many never ran diagnosis again since the early days.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow ... I ran it a couple of times when I was on 2.0b2 and I had fail one time since my laucher.dat got corupted :S nothing happened but still!! What about people that got their 3ds bricked while playing a game? I saw a couple of people that just had a game freeze and when they rebooted it was bricked or left it in sleep mode for a while and next reboot it was bricked. That might be a different problem, but all of this is scary.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Wow ... I ran it a couple of times when I was on 2.0b2 and I had fail one time since my laucher.dat got corupted :S nothing happened but still!! What about people that got their 3ds bricked while playing a game? I saw a couple of people that just had a game freeze and when they rebooted it was bricked or left it in sleep mode for a while and next reboot it was bricked. That might be a different problem, but all of this is scary.

see the thing is you can still enter gateway mode after running diagnostics....but just once, when you reboot, bam your bricked. i would imagine its possible that some people actually ran diagnostics then entered gateway mode and possibly stayed there for days even, they wouldn't know they where bricked till they reset.

this would tie in with people being bricked after exiting system settings, as exiting system settings boots you out of emunand, and would also tie in with resetting after any crashes

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
see the thing is you can still enter gateway mode after running diagnostics....but just once, when you reboot, bam your bricked. i would imagine its possible that some people actually ran diagnostics then entered gateway mode and possibly stayed there for days even, they wouldn't know they where bricked till they reset

That's a good point! It would be nice to hear from them to see if that's the case.

bigusheadus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread has probably put more people onto b2 than putting them off.

Mega Ta Gamersquest, stuff like this is much appreciated by everyone or at least I hope everyone appreciates it...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
truth is its actually possible that the same rules apply to clone launchers....i.e they might safe as long as you don't run diagnostics :O imagine lol

* no promises, if i ever feel like killing my 3ds again i might give it a go lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome