Hacking Gateway and Sky3ds+ Life

D

Deleted User

Both of them are gonna get discontinued pretty soon since everyone seems to be moving over to custom firmware.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to say which will be discontinued sooner. Gateway has already lasted longer than anyone thought it would, and Sky3DS+ doesn't need frequent updates. If you mean which will stop being made sooner, that depends entirely on when people stop buying them.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As much as I hate to say it, I think Gateway has the most chances of being discontinued.
Because as others said, Sky3DS+ (has less features and stuff but) doesn't need any firmware requirement. And the features Gateway has compared to Sky3DS are available in free CFWs for the most part (except .3ds rom loading (but I'm not sure a lot of people care) and convenient cheats (but even though NTR is less convenient, it's free so there is no reason to spend 50€ for just a bit of convenience)).

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciate if anyone can help. I use gateway. If I update my emunand to the latest fw is it only the select menu that is broken? I only use CIA files so if that were the case it wouldn't bother me but I'm worried that it would affect other stuff too. Cheers.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Appreciate if anyone can help. I use gateway. If I update my emunand to the latest fw is it only the select menu that is broken? I only use CIA files so if that were the case it wouldn't bother me but I'm worried that it would affect other stuff too. Cheers.
if you only ever use CIAs, you don't need the Gateway card. you can switch to a free custom firmware. unless you're using the cheats.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for replying, to be honest I'm pretty hopeless at tech stuff and the gateway has been working perfectly so would prefer just to keep using that. I noticed that there are other threads on here about people trying to cvhange their cfw and getting into problems so want to avoid that!

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Gateway and Sky3ds are basically 50/50 obsolete imo. However, Sky still only has the advantage of it still working on latest fw releases like the current 11.1 and usefull for entry points, instead of buying scapled prices for the likes of CN and Freaky, etc.

Whereas, GW need to drop a new launcher for the current 11.1 and their a9lh implementation is complete trash compared to the community version, plus the wait times are excessive to say the least when it comes to their updates.

Personally, I have used the red card like 4 times on a9lh/luma cfw with a few roms and sources I know, are not accepting anymore stock of GW once the current supply is sold, as there is not enough money to be made like it was before cfw became the norm.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for replying, to be honest I'm pretty hopeless at tech stuff and the gateway has been working perfectly so would prefer just to keep using that. I noticed that there are other threads on here about people trying to cvhange their cfw and getting into problems so want to avoid that!
it's pretty easy to switch over to a new custom firmware, really. and you really should do it if you don't even use roms on the red card. what's your sysnand version?

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
I have 4 3ds (for me and my kids) all on f/w between 4.1 and 4.5. I really don't have the heart to try to change all of them as I'm sure I'll mess up somewhere! To9 get back to my original question, do you know if it's just the selct menu that is broken with this update for gateway or does it affect installed cia games or anything else? cheers.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I noticed that there are other threads on here about people trying to cvhange their cfw and getting into problems so want to avoid that!

That's mostly people who don't have a clue on what their doing or expect support for using outdated buggy software like RxTools with latest updates and so forth.

Reactions: ihaveahax

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 4 3ds (for me and my kids) all on f/w between 4.1 and 4.5. I really don't have the heart to try to change all of them as I'm sure I'll mess up somewhere!
well, if you need someone to help you with that, I probably can on discord or whatever. I'm telling you this because it's a waste to use GW when you're not even using the card. so you should seriously consider switching, it would be much better in the long run.
do you know if it's just the selct menu that is broken with this update for gateway or does it affect installed cia games or anything else? cheers.
I'm pretty sure with every update, it would boot, but the rom selection menu doesn't work. I don't use GW though so I wouldn't know for sure.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the numbers are all overrated when people say 'everyone is moving to cfw'.
Using a flashcard is for Joe public the easiest way. Moving to cfw or even alh9 is not to be taken lightly and the average gbatemp.net reader is not the average 3ds user.
When I read the number of questions over here of users trying to hack their 3ds and getting stuck or even bricked....It is almost scarry.

As long as there is no simple clickandplay solution for hacking the 3ds (like psp) there will be a future for flashcards (IMHO)
I am still using a gateway on my trusted 3ds on 4.5 and play all the games I like.... Admit that I haven't really used the 3ds for almost a year now

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
well, if you need someone to help you with that, I probably can on discord or whatever. I'm telling you this because it's a waste to use GW when you're not even using the card. so you should seriously consider switching, it would be much better in the long run.

I'm pretty sure with every update, it would boot, but the rom selection menu doesn't work. I don't use GW though so I wouldn't know for sure.
Thanks for the offer to help! I'll see if gateway come up with a fix (soon!) before doing anything else. Cheers.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the numbers are all overrated when people say 'everyone is moving to cfw'.
Using a flashcard is for Joe public the easiest way. Moving to cfw or even alh9 is not to be taken lightly and the average gbatemp.net reader is not the average 3ds user.
When I read the number of questions over here of users trying to hack their 3ds and getting stuck or even bricked....It is almost scarry.

As long as there is no simple clickandplay solution for hacking the 3ds (like psp) there will be a future for flashcards (IMHO)
I am still using a gateway on my trusted 3ds on 4.5 and play all the games I like.... Admit that I haven't really used the 3ds for almost a year now
new users should not be buying flash carts. especially not Gateway - if you're on a system that can be hacked, you can do it for free and easy, and with many more benefits. and if you need to downgrade, then GW is useless, both before and after downgrading.

there is not a future for 3DS flash carts, guaranteed. not when we have easy downgrading and a9lh setup and soon more exploits for the latest version. it's insanely easy today, and almost impossible to screw up. I'm not taking it lightly, I've done this with various others (one-on-one assistance with a9lh, etc) and even tested the new method a few times.

only users who already have the flash cart should be the ones using them really.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have 4 3ds (for me and my kids) all on f/w between 4.1 and 4.5. I really don't have the heart to try to change all of them as I'm sure I'll mess up somewhere! To9 get back to my original question, do you know if it's just the selct menu that is broken with this update for gateway or does it affect installed cia games or anything else? cheers.
It's just the select menu, so you'll lose ROM loading from the red card and the cheats menu, other than that the CIAs and homebrews will work the same. And when GW launches an updated launcher.dat you just replace it to update you GW solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup