Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-188346

How can you say with such assurance that a SINGLE physical game hasn't been packaged with 9.0 and is currently ready to ship out, though?
Because Nintendo were willing to pull Cubic Ninja off the e-store to try and control the situation. They aren't afraid of pulling games in the name of halting piracy. Also, they aren't full blown retarded. I'm sure they'd rather reprint a game than give us a method to update ANY pre-9.0 3DS to 9.0-9.2.

Reactions: Arithmatics

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
how can you say that, well i can tell ya that is not correct, it seems the firmware is put in the cartridge in the moment they are coding the game, for example how can it be that pokemon ORAS has 7.1 and smash bros 8.1 even though smash was released before pokemon, i think that the newest japanese games will have 9.0-9.2 because of that time lapse, i could be wrong but i hope not

Nah I think it's put in at manufacture.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you say with such assurance that a SINGLE physical game hasn't been packaged with 9.0 and is currently ready to ship out, though?

Because if there were a point for developers to do so, it would have been done by now. The only reason to put an update on a cart is due to minute changes to the system that make the SDK easier to use or to introducenew features on the code-side of the game. For example, in the case of Smash Bros, specifically, recall that the system reboots in order to load in a higher CPU mode. This is almost undoubtedly an 8.1 feature, which is why this version ships with the cart. With the 3DS being more mature now, it's not likely that developers will need to package their games with updates, much less developers that aren't first party (as the first party developers will have a much better understanding of such things).

Aside from themes, I doubt 9.0-9.2 added anything extremely valuable to developers to use in their games. Moving forward, if there were a feature that required a version higher than 8.1 in order to work, the game would be packaged with 9.3.

This is why you are required to update to use the eShop. With the plethora of different version requirements across games, it's just easier to make everyone update to the latest version.

Reactions: mvmiranda and Chary

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also does anyone have a gateway with their SD card sticking out slighty. It seems the new one I got a few weeks ago uses a different micro SD slot than the one I got a year ago.

GW come flat packed and w/o stickers attached to vendors... Your vendor just did a shitty job applying the sticker on the cart you find suspect.

dplaktos

^ tri force heroes REALLY needs this emote
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you work for nintendo? do you know how they act? because patching ninjhax instead of sky3ds was a marvelous move, piracy over homebrew, the thing nintendo cannot stop are the games that are about to release, if there is a game that comes with 9.x ill quote your post just for fun
Maybe... just maybe... did you consider that Ninjhax may be easier to patch than Sky3DS because it is entirely software-based, as opposed to the latter? I don't think it was feasible for Nintendo to block Sky3DS at this time. (Edit: Puppy_Washer ninja'd me half an hour ago:hateit: )

Because if there were a point for developers to do so, it would have been done by now. The only reason to put an update on a cart is due to minute changes to the system that make the SDK easier to use or to introduce new features on the code-side of the game. For example, in the case of Smash Bros, specifically, recall that the system reboots in order to load in a higher CPU mode. This is almost undoubtedly an 8.1 feature, which is why this version ships with the cart. With the 3DS being more mature now, it's not likely that developers will need to package their games with updates, much less developers that aren't first party (as the first party developers will have a much better understanding of such things).
Not to try and undermine your otherwise valid argument, but AFAIK Monster Hunter 4 in Japan also does this (soft reboots console into a "more available resources" environment) and this comes with firmware 5.1.0J. So I don't think it's an 8.1 feature.

Nevertheless, there would be features that are employed in the game that are present in the respective SDK of the later firmwares, thus warranting them being bundled with the game, as you were saying.

yunneg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good. You do that.
But just for the record, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Absolute zero.
I also don't need to work for Nintendo (worst argument ever, by the way) to make an educated guess. Do you really think that Nintendo, a multi-billion dollar company, is unaware that 9.0-9.2 is exploitable? Do you think they'd offer the 9.0-9.2 firmwares on a silver platter to people? Of course not. Use your brain.

Finally, Nintendo doesn't have to make a choice about whether to block homebrew "instead" of piracy. They can block both, but for whatever reason did not block SKY3DS, likely because it is a hardware based solution that Nintendo may have difficulty in blocking.

I don't get it, what you said is conflicted, they can block both but they dont do it because they have difficulty in blocking? So can they block sky3ds or not? if not, it's conflicted too because they are a multi-billion dollar company while sky3ds is just a small team.

HEX1GON

YEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSS
Trophies
XP
Country
Because Nintendo were willing to pull Cubic Ninja off the e-store to try and control the situation. They aren't afraid of pulling games in the name of halting piracy. Also, they aren't full blown retarded. I'm sure they'd rather reprint a game than give us a method to update ANY pre-9.0 3DS to 9.0-9.2.

I may support your quote with the word "recall" too.

dplaktos

^ tri force heroes REALLY needs this emote
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get it, what you said is conflicted, they can block both but they dont do it because they have difficulty in blocking? So can they block sky3ds or not? if not, it's conflicted too because they are a multi-billion dollar company while sky3ds is just a small team.

Money is not the issue here. If a flashcard is sophisticated enough to look like a genuine cart, how can Nintendo patch it effectively without blocking genuine retail carts in the process? They need time to figure this out.

They can block it because there is almost always a solution to block unofficial hardware. It has just not occurred to them yet.

Reactions: mvmiranda

yunneg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Money is not the issue here. If a flashcard is sophisticated enough to look like a genuine cart, how can Nintendo patch it effectively without blocking genuine retail carts in the process? They need time to figure this out.

They can block it because there is almost always a solution to block unofficial hardware. It has just not occurred to them yet.

so basically they cannot atm, right? it's just that they want to block it. Because if you talk about furture, I could say sky3ds can release a patch that help their FC work on next FW 9.4.

D

Deleted-188346

I don't get it, what you said is conflicted
Nothing I said conflicted. I said that they can block piracy and homebrew in an update. The original post was implying that Nintendo has to make a choice between the two, which they don't.

they can block both but they dont do it because they have difficulty in blocking?
Exactly. They can't block the SKY3DS (yet), because they obviously haven't totally figured it out yet.

So can they block sky3ds or not?
Obviously not yet.

if not, it's conflicted too because they are a multi-billion dollar company while sky3ds is just a small team.
The size of the SKY3DS team is completely irrelevant. Hackers don't need to be billionaires to find exploits in the products of a billion-dollar company. I don't even.

yunneg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing I said conflicted. I said that they can block piracy and homebrew in an update. The original post was implying that Nintendo has to make a choice between the two, which they don't.

Exactly. They can't block the SKY3DS (yet), because they obviously haven't totally figured it out yet.

Obviously not.

The size of the SKY3DS team is completely irrelevant. Hackers don't need to be billionaires to create exploits in the products of a billion-dollar company. I don't even.

Ok, now I understand what you said, thanks for the explain but I dont think hackers create exploits, as far as i know, they have to find them.

Dualin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GW come flat packed and w/o stickers attached to vendors... Your vendor just did a shitty job applying the sticker on the cart you find suspect.

The stickers don't effect it at all. Even if I remove them the SD card still sticks out slightly.

I removed the stickers from both of my gateways and found out they do use different brand micro SD slots. Old one is branded "saber" and the newer one is made by "OTAX".

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, now I understand what you said, thanks for the explain but I dont think hackers create exploits, as far as i know, they have to find them.

In a very large and complex multi-year plan, Smea created a fake game studio and hired hundreds of people to make a horrible game called Cubic Ninja. The game was designed to be exploitable, in order to enable homebrew on the 3DS, but the release had to be significantly delayed to ensure the value of the game was very low and that it became common enough.

yunneg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In a very large and complex multi-year plan, Smea created a fake game studio and hired hundreds of people to make a horrible game called Cubic Ninja. The game was designed to be exploitable, in order to enable homebrew on the 3DS, but the release had to be significantly delayed to ensure the value of the game was very low and that it became common enough.

:bow: that's funny man! haha!

Reactions: mvmiranda
D

Deleted-188346

I didn't mean to use the word "create". You're right, I meant find.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Good. You do that.
But just for the record, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Absolute zero.
I also don't need to work for Nintendo (worst argument ever, by the way) to make an educated guess. Do you really think that Nintendo, a multi-billion dollar company, is unaware that 9.0-9.2 is exploitable? Do you think they'd offer the 9.0-9.2 firmwares on a silver platter to people? Of course not. Use your brain.

Finally, Nintendo doesn't have to make a choice about whether to block homebrew "instead" of piracy. They can block both, but for whatever reason did not block SKY3DS, likely because it is a hardware based solution that Nintendo may have difficulty in blocking.
TBH Nintendo has always been pretty hands-off when it comes to piracy. These days I think they mostly consider pirates an additional community of people who at least buy consoles where they wouldn't be buying any Nintendo products otherwise. You know, rather than viewing them as lost game sales.

That doesn't mean they don't actively attempt to block third-party software/exploits, but it's never felt like that was a huge part of what they do as a company. And that's part of the reason Nintendo continues to be a top-quality developer.

s-arash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friendly Advice:
maybe some of you wants to order New 3DS / New 3DS XL from Play-asia

DO NOT ORDER NINTENDO N3DS / N3DS XL FROM PLAY-ASIA.com
their customer service is next to shit
orderd mine on Dec 03 , 3 days later my order status changed to "Hold",i checked paypal and my payment is ok
sent 4 emails to them , posted a message on their facebook page , still got no response
they dont say anything to me , just took my money and 3 Days later , changed my order status to "Hold' , which i dont know what it means and they dont answer me
4 emails + facebook post, got no answer for 4 days , and i'm still waiting cause i cant do anything more
The World Worst customer service award winner is: Play Asia

Reactions: Arithmatics

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All these folks saying GW definitely doesn't work on 9.3, what's your source? A few misguided posts on the temp don't cut it

Anyway to the people wondering if Ninjahax is Gateway's entry point, no it is not since GW have stated that the new exploit doesn't need a retail game or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk