Gateway 3DS update 3.2 Ultra Public Beta

gateway3ds__30148_zoom.jpg
40 days after their last release, the Gateway team show us they are still alive and kicking! They are releasing an update that will please both old 3DS and new 3DS owners. Read the change log below:

Gateway Team said:
Today we are back with another update: GATEWAY 3.2 ULTRA!

So let’s see what’s new:
– Latest EMUNAND support for old 3DS (currently version 9.7)
– New 3DS 8.1 JAPAN region now fully supported (multirom menu and so on)
– System Settings 4.5 support for New 3DS!
– Built-in NVRAM installer in the Gateway menu (behaves same as the Blue Card Gateway installer)

From now on, New 3DS users can rejoice that they no longer need to constantly use Cubic Ninja or Zelda Ocarina of Time to boot up into Gateway mode!
With this firmware update, you will be able to boot into Gateway mode using just System Settings, just like on old 3DS! No more extra accessories required once you have done the setup!

Just follow these simple steps:
1) Copy the Gateway 3DS 3.2.0 ULTRA Launcher.dat to your New 3DS microSD card
2) Copy mset_<region>.cia to your New 3DS microSD card (where <region> is your console region)
3) Copy “DevMenu.3ds” to your Gateway 3DS microSD card.
4) Boot into the Gateway menu with your preferred entrypoint (Zelda or Cubic Ninja)
5) Select the new “NVRAM INSTALL” option from the menu, proceed with installation.
6) Once installed, boot into Gateway mode and launch DevMenu.3ds from the multirom menu (press SELECT)
7) Start DevMenu and import mset_<region>.cia from your SD card.
8) Reboot console and verify you can now boot into Gateway mode with the classic System Settings DS Profile method. (Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS profile)
9) Enjoy! No more cartridge swapping required to use Gateway 3DS on New 3DS! :-)

!! IMPORTANT !!
Please make sure to install the *CORRECT* mset cia for your region, we do not recommend this for new users with little experience !!

Please be aware that this downgrades the System Settings application on your SYSNAND, so be wise and
backup your SYSNAND (and setup EMUNAND) using the Gateway menu before you do this.
Note you can always manually install a newer CIA version back of System Settings, but using our Sysnand Restore option is the recommended option.

New 3DS users might also wonder why there is no EMUNAND update yet, and the answer is simply that while we are still making steady progress on this front, there is still alot of work to be done until we get to this point. So we hope our New 3DS users will understand that we cannot give an exact end date for this yet.
Rest assured we will be able to overcome this obstacle!

As always, we cannot provide a direct link to the update file as it is considered illegal.
But you will have no trouble finding the update as it is available on the official Gateway 3DS website.

:arrow: Link to ongoing discussion
:arrow: Source: Gateway Official Website

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm new here, so forgive me if some of my ignorance reveals itself.

I recently purchased a New 3DS XL (US) secondhand complete with a Gateway card, 32GB microSD, and Cubic Ninja. The seller has already installed the exploit on the 3DS along with the DS Profile shortcut to Gateway mode. He has also left on there whatever games and saves that he had accumulated in his short time with it before selling it to me.

So I have a few questions for when it arrives tomorrow:

• First thing I'll want to do is make a SysNAND backup and save it to my computer. That part I think I'm pretty clear on already.
  • Second, I think I'll want to copy the ROMs of his that I'd like to keep onto my computer.
  • Then I'd like to possibly start fresh and wipe the slate clean for myself before restoring my desired ROMs back onto the microSD.
  • Should I do a Format EmuNAND to accomplish this? If I do and am downgraded to 4.5 (or whatever the EmuNAND defaults to these days when formatted), will I not be able to upgrade EmuNAND to the latest firmware due to my device being the "New" 3DS XL? From what I've read, it looks like it will be some time before 9.6+ is supported on the "new" devices.
  • If I can't upgrade to 9.6+, should I just keep EmuNAND running on whatever older firmware it defaults to and only play offline until Gateway patches in support? What would happen if I tried to update to 9.6 within the EmuNAND now?
What would you all do in my position, acquiring a New 3DS XL with Gateway already set up on it? If formatting the EmuNAND is not worth the hassle since I won't even be able to upgrade the firmware afterward, should I just leave it as is until 9.6 support arrives for my device?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I had plenty of experience with flash carts on the DS Lite, but the 3DS process takes a little more finesse it seems.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone. I'm new here, so forgive me if some of my ignorance reveals itself.

I recently purchased a New 3DS XL (US) secondhand complete with a Gateway card, 32GB microSD, and Cubic Ninja. The seller has already installed the exploit on the 3DS along with the DS Profile shortcut to Gateway mode. He has also left on there whatever games and saves that he had accumulated in his short time with it before selling it to me.

So I have a few questions for when it arrives tomorrow:

• First thing I'll want to do is make a SysNAND backup and save it to my computer. That part I think I'm pretty clear on already.
  • Second, I think I'll want to copy the ROMs of his that I'd like to keep onto my computer.
  • Then I'd like to possibly start fresh and wipe the slate clean for myself before restoring my desired ROMs back onto the microSD.
  • Should I do a Format EmuNAND to accomplish this? If I do and am downgraded to 4.5 (or whatever the EmuNAND defaults to these days when formatted), will I not be able to upgrade EmuNAND to the latest firmware due to my device being the "New" 3DS XL? From what I've read, it looks like it will be some time before 9.6+ is supported on the "new" devices.
  • If I can't upgrade to 9.6+, should I just keep EmuNAND running on whatever older firmware it defaults to and only play offline until Gateway patches in support? What would happen if I tried to update to 9.6 within the EmuNAND now?
What would you all do in my position, acquiring a New 3DS XL with Gateway already set up on it? If formatting the EmuNAND is not worth the hassle since I won't even be able to upgrade the firmware afterward, should I just leave it as is until 9.6 support arrives for my device?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I had plenty of experience with flash carts on the DS Lite, but the 3DS process takes a little more finesse it seems.

When you "Format EMUNAND" it creates a copy of your "SYSNAND", so your Emunand version will be 9.2 or whatever that n3ds has for Sysnand.
You will not be able to update the emunand online.
Nobody knows when GW will release emunand 9.6+ support on new 3ds, gateway literally pulled a please understand in this point.
If you try to update emunand to 9.7 (that is the current online fw) you will break emunand (black screen) and will require formatting it again.
I would say just leave emunand as it is, but if your sysnand is 9.2, your formatted emunand will not be so outdated and you can probably play almost anything.

Reactions: Margen67

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you "Format EMUNAND" it creates a copy of your "SYSNAND", so your Emunand version will be 9.2 or whatever that n3ds has for Sysnand.
You will not be able to update the emunand online.
Nobody knows when GW will release emunand 9.6+ support on new 3ds, gateway literally pulled a please understand in this point.
If you try to update emunand to 9.7 (that is the current online fw) you will break emunand (black screen) and will require formatting it again.
I would say just leave emunand as it is, but if your sysnand is 9.2, your formatted emunand will not be so outdated and you can probably play almost anything.

Ah, okay. Sounds like I'll have to settle for offline only for a while. I have faith that Gateway will eventually figure out 9.6+ on the n3DS.

As for Emunand, I think I'm still going to format it just to have a clean slate since the previous owner left all of his stuff on there.

Thanks very much for the quick and informative reply.

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I got my secondhand New 3DS XL today with Gateway already set up on it. I organized all my ROMs, applied a private header to them, loaded them back onto my microSD and was ready to start playing. But then I noticed when going into the system settings in Gateway mode that the previous owner had not set up EmuNAND on this device. I'd like to be running on EmuNAND in the future for when the most recent firmware is supported on New 3DS's, but first I have a couple of questions.

• If I format EmuNAND now, will it completely erase all the contents of the internal SD including things like launcher.dat and the .cia files necessary for the DS Profile shortcut?
  • If I wait to format EmuNAND until later, can I just backup the .sav files on the internal SD before doing so and then load them back on there after EmuNAND is formatted?
Right now I'm just leaving my DS offline at all time since EmuNAND isn't configured yet. Can't be too careful.

PS - My current sysNAND is 9.0.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, so I got my secondhand New 3DS XL today with Gateway already set up on it. I organized all my ROMs, applied a private header to them, loaded them back onto my microSD and was ready to start playing. But then I noticed when going into the system settings in Gateway mode that the previous owner had not set up EmuNAND on this device. I'd like to be running on EmuNAND in the future for when the most recent firmware is supported on New 3DS's, but first I have a couple of questions.

• If I format EmuNAND now, will it completely erase all the contents of the internal SD including things like launcher.dat and the .cia files necessary for the DS Profile shortcut?
  • If I wait to format EmuNAND until later, can I just backup the .sav files on the internal SD before doing so and then load them back on there after EmuNAND is formatted?
Right now I'm just leaving my DS offline at all time since EmuNAND isn't configured yet. Can't be too careful.
If you format Emunand (almost) everything is the SD card is wiped out.
Backup the SD contents to your PC, format the Emunand, and copy the contents back.
I suggest you create the Emunand ASAP, it is not a good idea to go around without Emunand.

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you format Emunand (almost) everything is the SD card is wiped out.
Backup the SD contents to your PC, format the Emunand, and copy the contents back.
I suggest you create the Emunand ASAP, it is not a good idea to go around without Emunand.
Okay. I'll create the emuNAND tomorrow then. Will I have to redo the steps for reinstating the DS Profile shortcut again after formatting?

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh oh. I somehow broke my DS Profile shortcut. Now whenever I press it in SysNAND I get a message saying that the system encountered a problem and needs to restart. Here are the last things I did before this happened.

- Did a fresh format EmuNAND last night.
- Played a few games throughout the day in EmuNAND
- Played a little Smash Bros. while in EmuNAND and closed the software to return to the EmuNAND home screen.
- Went into System Settings within EmuNAND and changed my profile name, birthday, and location.
- Exited System Settings, which kicked me back to SysNAND's home screen.
- Tried the DS Profile shortcut from SysNAND's System Settings and encountered the error message.

I've restarted several times, but I get the error message and restart every time. What exactly happened here? Was I not supposed to change any profile settings within SysNAND? I've seen mentions of linking and unlinking EmuNAND and SysNAND, but I've never looked further into it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went into System Settings within EmuNAND and changed my profile name, birthday, and location.
Dis right here is what broke it. Once you use the setup the ds exploit, if you change your name or bday or location, hell probably if you even look at that screen, it breaks the exploit.

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn
Dis right here is what broke it. Once you use the setup the ds exploit, if you change your name or bday or location, hell probably if you even look at that screen, it breaks the exploit.
. Wish I had known that. So if I just re-do the exploit to get back to the Gateway menu, can I just do the NVRAM thing from there to reinstate the DS Profile shortcut, or will I have to format EmuNAND all over again.

If I have to format, can I change the name and birthday in the sysNAND settings beforehand to have it carry over to the newly created EmuNAND?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Damn
. Wish I had known that. So if I just re-do the exploit to get back to the Gateway menu, can I just do the NVRAM thing from there to reinstate the DS Profile shortcut, or will I have to format EmuNAND all over again.

If I have to format, can I change the name and birthday in the sysNAND settings beforehand to have it carry over to the newly created EmuNAND?

You don't need to format.
The DS Profile hack going away is quite a common thing to happen, just playing a DS game makes it banish.
The only thing you need to do is reinstall the hack using either the NVRAM installer from the Gateway menu or the one for the BlueCard.
If you go with the Gateway menu way you must use the Cubic Ninja hack, etc.
Perhaps it is preferable to use the bluecard ds profile hack installer.
If you want to use that version, first install into SYSNAND! the bluecard enabler CIA from gateway and then use the GW_INSTALLER.nds from gateway.

ScOULaris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to format.
The DS Profile hack going away is quite a common thing to happen, just playing a DS game makes it banish.
The only thing you need to do is reinstall the hack using either the NVRAM installer from the Gateway menu or the one for the BlueCard.
If you go with the Gateway menu way you must use the Cubic Ninja hack, etc.
Perhaps it is preferable to use the bluecard ds profile hack installer.
If you want to use that version, first install into SYSNAND! the bluecard enabler CIA from gateway and then use the GW_INSTALLER.nds from gateway.

Yeah, just edit that info first before you install the nvram exploit and your good.

Thanks everyone. Just got back to the Gateway menu using Cubic Ninja and then reinstalled the NVRAM. I was able to boot back to EmuNAND using the DS Profile shortcut once again. All is well. :nds:

Reactions: Margen67

Oxyrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hey guys, I'm pretty new on this stuff so there is so much I don't understand.
My 3DS system is 9.6
And I heard this new Gateway 3.2 version can work on 9.6 (just to make sure that I read it right)
My question is, is it working smoothly or there are some issues so far?
Thanks in advance.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Hey guys, I'm pretty new on this stuff so there is so much I don't understand.
My 3DS system is 9.6
And I heard this new Gateway 3.2 version can work on 9.6 (just to make sure that I read it right)
My question is, is it working smoothly or there are some issues so far?
Thanks in advance.
No, it won't work for you. Your base firmware must be 9.2 or less, but the emulated NAND can be run from Gateway's software to use a newer firmware. Your only option is a Sky3DS right now, unless you can find an older system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: