Gateway 3DS update 3.2 Ultra Public Beta

gateway3ds__30148_zoom.jpg
40 days after their last release, the Gateway team show us they are still alive and kicking! They are releasing an update that will please both old 3DS and new 3DS owners. Read the change log below:

Gateway Team said:
Today we are back with another update: GATEWAY 3.2 ULTRA!

So let’s see what’s new:
– Latest EMUNAND support for old 3DS (currently version 9.7)
– New 3DS 8.1 JAPAN region now fully supported (multirom menu and so on)
– System Settings 4.5 support for New 3DS!
– Built-in NVRAM installer in the Gateway menu (behaves same as the Blue Card Gateway installer)

From now on, New 3DS users can rejoice that they no longer need to constantly use Cubic Ninja or Zelda Ocarina of Time to boot up into Gateway mode!
With this firmware update, you will be able to boot into Gateway mode using just System Settings, just like on old 3DS! No more extra accessories required once you have done the setup!

Just follow these simple steps:
1) Copy the Gateway 3DS 3.2.0 ULTRA Launcher.dat to your New 3DS microSD card
2) Copy mset_<region>.cia to your New 3DS microSD card (where <region> is your console region)
3) Copy “DevMenu.3ds” to your Gateway 3DS microSD card.
4) Boot into the Gateway menu with your preferred entrypoint (Zelda or Cubic Ninja)
5) Select the new “NVRAM INSTALL” option from the menu, proceed with installation.
6) Once installed, boot into Gateway mode and launch DevMenu.3ds from the multirom menu (press SELECT)
7) Start DevMenu and import mset_<region>.cia from your SD card.
8) Reboot console and verify you can now boot into Gateway mode with the classic System Settings DS Profile method. (Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS profile)
9) Enjoy! No more cartridge swapping required to use Gateway 3DS on New 3DS! :-)

!! IMPORTANT !!
Please make sure to install the *CORRECT* mset cia for your region, we do not recommend this for new users with little experience !!

Please be aware that this downgrades the System Settings application on your SYSNAND, so be wise and
backup your SYSNAND (and setup EMUNAND) using the Gateway menu before you do this.
Note you can always manually install a newer CIA version back of System Settings, but using our Sysnand Restore option is the recommended option.

New 3DS users might also wonder why there is no EMUNAND update yet, and the answer is simply that while we are still making steady progress on this front, there is still alot of work to be done until we get to this point. So we hope our New 3DS users will understand that we cannot give an exact end date for this yet.
Rest assured we will be able to overcome this obstacle!

As always, we cannot provide a direct link to the update file as it is considered illegal.
But you will have no trouble finding the update as it is available on the official Gateway 3DS website.

:arrow: Link to ongoing discussion
:arrow: Source: Gateway Official Website

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But i guess this system profle downgrade is not comaptible with old 3DS ? they dont mention it...
Does the new method of installing the old System Menu CIA work on a Old 3DS FW9.2, thus enabling offline access to GW mode without requiring firmware downgrading, that in itself implies losing compatibility with save data on legitimate post FW6.X retail cards you have already been playing?
No, it doesn't work on old3ds. tried it myself, when trying to launch gateway via ds profile it just crashes the system to a black error screen "an error has occurred, power off etc etc".

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Because it is not compatible with FW above 9.2.
There are many things related to the GW3.2 update, but none will let you downgrade a 3DS with Sysnand above FW9.2.
First, there is Emunand support for FW9.7, but Emunand can only be run in systems with (Sysnand) FW9.2 (it will not run in a system with Sysnand FW9.7 at all).
Second, there is a tool and files intended to downgrade the system settings menu, this is not intended to downgrade the firmware, but just an application, and the tool you need to use in the first place to downgrade that application only works on Gateway mode, hence it needs Sysnand FW9.2 or below.

EDIT: Emunand and Sysnand are different things. A 3DS per-se only has Sysnand (the memory where the operating system and other things are stored). When you use GW you can create an emulated memory to store the OS in the SD card, this emulated memory is called Emunand and is kind of an unprotected hacked playground where you can do many things.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Finally, something public is making use of the "old mset on new firmware" trick.
This will probably not show any settings that are n3DS specific though, like the "super-stable" 3D and MicroSD management. Not a big issue since there's a MicroSD Management CIA and I don't think I'll need to change the super-stable 3D settings.
Certainly makes things easier, and it's an added bonus for people who own Cubic Ninja since they can install this and then use CN just for NINJHAX, no need to keep switching back and forth between the QR codes if they want to use both.

man they took too damn time but im happy they have done it for new3ds and 9.7 support:lol:
Read again. 9.7 support is only for old 3DS at the moment. :P

Reactions: Margen67

GeBeCluck23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no n3ds can aslo support 9.7 emunand you have to read again :teach:
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but I think you might to read again, because to be clear,
"New 3DS DOES NOT support EmuNAND 9.6+...yet."

...Also, this new "NVRAM Install" feature...what exactly is this doing to the guts of the New 3DS? Because I'm not too keen on messing with the SysNAND, but not having to use OoT or CN sure is a tempting offer for me...
More importantly, is the process reversible? I don't want to have to send my New 3DS into Nintendo in for repairs some day, only to have them discover THIS!!

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It installed fine with the correct mode. Use DevMenu v3.0.6.

...Also, this new "NVRAM Install" feature...what exactly is this doing to the guts of the New 3DS? Because I'm not too keen on messing with the SysNAND, but not having to use OoT or CN sure is a tempting offer for me...
More importantly, is the process reversible? I don't want to have to send my New 3DS into Nintendo in for repairs some day, only to have them discover THIS!!

It does the same thing as the GW ROP installer.

skebeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
im new to the whole flashcart thing for the 3ds and im a bit confused on how and where to start. will gateway run on my new 3ds with the latest firmware installed after this update? can someone point me to a thread that explains how to set it up please

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im new to the whole flashcart thing for the 3ds and im a bit confused on how and where to start. will gateway run on my new 3ds with the latest firmware installed after this update? can someone point me to a thread that explains how to set it up please

No, Gateway will not run there. You need a New 3DS with FW version below or equal to 9.2.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
just to get it right, the NVRAM installer is what? XD

Kind of an App in the GW menu that let's you install the NVRAM/MSET hack that can later be accessed through the DS Profile in System Configuration Menu.

EDIT: Just in case you don't know the MSET hack let's you boot GW mode without using the browser or any internet connection. For the moment this way of booting only works on New 3DS with FW below 9.2. Nevertheless the MSET hack was always accessible in the old 3DS with FW below 4.5.

Reactions: Margen67 and Sliter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh man don't get the snowflakes worked up +1