Gateway 3DS, News and Information

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP too, for years having a later model or later firmware (on non-pandora ones) meant you couldn't do much, until the HBL came along, but that was user-mode homebrew only (and still is).

Yep! I remember making a Pandora battery for my phat a few years ago. I thought it was pretty cool that you could put the device in Service Mode with a sharp knife and a steady hand.

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if on release date it only supports 4.5 does that mean later on they MIGHT make an update for the SAME card to work on later versions or you will have to buy a completely new card that will work on later versions?

-_-"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So if on release date it only supports 4.5 does that mean later on they MIGHT make an update for the SAME card to work on later versions or you will have to buy a completely new card that will work on later versions?

-_-"

From what we were told so far one could gather that the cart is updatable. If a new exploit surfaces, the Gateway team may choose to update their product. Everything depends on how profitable the business will be and whether Nintendo finds a way to block the Gateway on a hardware level or not.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The kernel-mode exploit that existed in 4.5.x was patched in 5.x, a new one will need to be found/used. If it was that simple it would have been done. Since it's complex, it might very well require new hardware, not the model that people are considering ordering (and not even due to a design change, the FPGA might not have enough storage (see the AK2i as an example) or the areas required to be edited might be read-only in the released units).
It is very unlikely that a new kernel-mode exploit need new hardware. As a new kernel-mode exploit would only need some small edits on the save file.
the 3DS has 3 privilege mods or more
the first is the mode where the game runs in this mode doesn't allow direct access to most of the hardware (the game uses the svc for example to talk to this parts of the hardware) there may are exceptions but not really worth explaining as you won't see them on any published game. There are even flags to prevent the game from using some svcs.
The other modes have more rights --> some are allowed to speak to the hardware directly other have the permission the allocate a executable area or write to executable arrears <-- this is what you need to lunch homebrew or a backup
sorry I don't know more about the other mods

Add: sorry for my bad English

Reactions: Rydian

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
For now it is hard to predict future... If they stared that game dumps from internet may force you to update to higher fw versions - so if they have ability to run backup - probably dldi way as on ds... they should work at some kind of dump app that could trim "update" from backup. If there is no proper app to do that Nintendo could release new games with 5.X-6.X update and booting gateway with that backup may force you to update to 5.X-6.X...

If Gateway use known kernel exploit from Yelow8 it is also strange that he/they stated to not support piracy but Gateway is piracy only device... I am not interested on that kind of stuff...

Exiron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
They sent me this:

"We are now accepting payments for Gateway 3ds,which will be released in 10
days.Please send the payment for your preorders(You should receive the
proforma from us in the previous mail) and forward the TT copy to us,we will
update you when payment was received.Order will be sent according to the time
payment was received.Stock from first batch is limited,make sure to get your
order from the first batch,please send payment as early as you can.

If you can not found the proforma we sent or not
get the proforma from us,please contact us soon,we will send the proforma to
you soon."

I've applied to become a reseller here in argentina, but it's just too much money, they sell each card for $50 and you have to buy at least 50 cards

Reactions: f0rCe

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok maybe someone can explain what Gateway meant by "For save game, we are transferring and saving the save game onto the 3DS big SD card. So it is ok to swap titles using the same microSD card." Does that mean that the save files is stored on the flashcard while the rom is stored on the microSD card? Meaning that you could have multiply saves on the 3ds flashcard or is it only one? The descriptions that are given are really vague.

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Strange is why they did not show this "save" ability on new youtube video... This "Gateway's" version of customer info service is way way from word "good".

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok maybe someone can explain what Gateway meant by "For save game, we are transferring and saving the save game onto the 3DS big SD card. So it is ok to swap titles using the same microSD card." Does that mean that the save files is stored on the flashcard while the rom is stored on the microSD card? Meaning that you could have multiply saves on the 3ds flashcard or is it only one? The descriptions that are given are really vague.

The big sd card is the default one,
011.jpg

Reactions: mkdms14

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for clarifying it did not know saves were stored on the SD card in the system.

They aren't normally, but since they are using an exploit, they are able to read/write saves from/to the sd card ;) Like on wii, where Dios mios is able to save game cube games to an sd card ;)

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Mementos please show me info about exploit and what "they" could do over it.... After reading your post it could be possible that you're from "Gateway" or you just trying to impress someone... Info without source is not real info but just speculation.

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mementos please show me info about exploit and what "they" could do over it.... After reading your post it could be possible that you're from "Gateway" or you just trying to impress someone... Info without source is not real info but just speculation.

I never claimed that i have acknowledged about any new kernel exploit :P I just said, the fact that neimod/yellows8 didn't find another one till now, doesn't mean another team hasn't found one. That was related to those people, wo said, that Gateway is blocked on 5.x/6.x due the kernel exploit, which yellow and neimod used/found. Cause no one knows which exploit they are using, if its really the neimod/yellow one or their own. (The fact that they are using an ds card especially, makes me thinking that its may another one but thats just imho and speculating). So, all I wanted to say, people should be patient, I think after it gets released, some people find out which exploit got used ;)

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gah! All the arguing about speculations... Does anyone have any news from Gateway since the last news update?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It is very unlikely that a new kernel-mode exploit need new hardware. As a new kernel-mode exploit would only need some small edits on the save file.
the 3DS has 3 privilege mods or more
the first is the mode where the game runs in this mode doesn't allow direct access to most of the hardware (the game uses the svc for example to talk to this parts of the hardware) there may are exceptions but not really worth explaining as you won't see them on any published game. There are even flags to prevent the game from using some svcs.
The other modes have more rights --> some are allowed to speak to the hardware directly other have the permission the allocate a executable area or write to executable arrears <-- this is what you need to lunch homebrew or a backup
sorry I don't know more about the other mods

Add: sorry for my bad English
Things often fall apart in implementation though.

After all, in theory it should be simplistic for a flash cart to update the presented header to get past a whitelist check, but we see tons of carts that don't for various reasons (like I said the AK2i is a prime example, according to AKAIO devs it ran out of internal space for the data required to be presented).

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
OK, but here most of users trying to tell the story about Gateway stuff and how it will work... I am confused - very confused of lack of info from them... So if it was from begining based on exploit 4.5-5.X that was fixed by Nintendo why they lied from begining. But if it is based on exploit - question is what kind of exploit - kernel or user mode. They're acting like team that did not know what they have and what to deal with that...

SaintTsubasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
They sent me this:

"We are now accepting payments for Gateway 3ds,which will be released in 10
days.Please send the payment for your preorders(You should receive the
proforma from us in the previous mail) and forward the TT copy to us,we will
update you when payment was received.Order will be sent according to the time
payment was received.Stock from first batch is limited,make sure to get your
order from the first batch,please send payment as early as you can.

If you can not found the proforma we sent or not
get the proforma from us,please contact us soon,we will send the proforma to
you soon."

I've applied to become a reseller here in argentina, but it's just too much money, they sell each card for $50 and you have to buy at least 50 cards

Where will you be ordering from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.