Gateway 3DS, News and Information

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this ends up creating a homebrew scene and perhaps a way to install a homebrew channel one day.
Not too interested in running game backups too much, least until I can backup my games and saves then run them on one cart with fancy features.

Overall its a start, I hope a homebrew scene evolves from this like the old days would.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope this ends up creating a homebrew scene and perhaps a way to install a homebrew channel one day.
Not too interested in running game backups too much, least until I can backup my games and saves then run them on one cart with fancy features.

Overall its a start, I hope a homebrew scene evolves from this like the old days would.
But there's no 3DS-mode homebrew we've been shown.

Reactions: Skelletonike

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I owned a major electronic dealer, like a Best Buy, I would cut the price of the XL units by 15 dollars. You've gotta think that Gateway will lead to the sale of thousands of units within a short period of time. And if a retail chain gives a solid ten or fifteen dollar discount for the XL's I could see them getting the majority of these purchases (you could do the same for standard size 3DS units too).

Anyways does anyone think an XL discount will come before Thanksgiving season hits?
That's why you don't own a major electronics dealer. You can't capitalize on hardware sales catalysed by piracy and abandon software profit margins when that's where your majority profit comes from in the video game market.

It would be a more financially stable decision to entice people to buy as much software as they can push before the imminent piracy with buy-2-get-1-free, 25% discounts, etc. When people commit to buying software, opting to piracy that would make their purchased library unnecessary and possibly unusable is less likely.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

This purely copies a game and immitates a retail game, this isn't anything like a DS flashcart where you have a firmware that lets you navigate and choose a game or whatever, it only lets you play games that already exist so I find it highly unlikely to enable any sort of homebrew, it's purely for piracy, nothing else.

THE_DBX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you know how it's possible to update my 3ds xl v4.2 to 4.5 without internet???
Tk's :bow:
...i
I want prepare it for the future gateway linker :grog:

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But there's no 3DS-mode homebrew we've been shown.
This purely copies a game and immitates a retail game, this isn't anything like a DS flashcart where you have a firmware that lets you navigate and choose a game or whatever, it only lets you play games that already exist so I find it highly unlikely to enable any sort of homebrew, it's purely for piracy, nothing else.

To answer both, I'm simply being hopeful.
If one can run a game copy then there should be a way to add in code.
Homebrew wise there hasn't been any yet of course but once there is a proper way to get custom code on there hopefully it'll explode.
Though interest in the 3DS vs the DS might be rather large a gap.

Either way, I'm just being hopeful something good will come of it.
It is only the first cart after all.
The first GBA and DS carts could just run one game then later on homebrew popped up and carts started having menus.
So ya, pretty much saying I'm hopeful of the future.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because a lot of what we were originally told indicated it worked on 5.x

As soon as the 6.0 update came out, Gateway said, and I quote:

"Currently it is not compatible with firmware v6.x but we are working on making it compatible as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, do NOT update your console until we say it is ok to do so."

To me, and to many people, they insinuated that it was therefore compatible with any firmware before 6.x. Was something lost in translation from their part? Or did they not want to divulge information that would hint at what exploit they're running?

idleft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
As soon as the 6.0 update came out, Gateway said, and I quote:

"Currently it is not compatible with firmware v6.x but we are working on making it compatible as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, do NOT update your console until we say it is ok to do so."

To me, and to many people, they insinuated that it was therefore compatible with any firmware before 6.x. Was something lost in translation from their part? Or did they not want to divulge information that would hint at what exploit they're running?

Don't you guys notice this?

We currently have a very convenient and user friendly way to enter into our Gateway mode, while this entry point has been tested up to 6.0 we expect it to be shut off shortly after we release. We can not stress enough the importance of staying away from any further updates! ( 6.0 compatibility is only valid for our initial entry point, as stated in point (1) we currently only support firmware version 4.5 )

I thinks they indicates the entry point is valid which means it is possible to boot into their "system", but the game may not be loaded. I think this is a good news since pass the validation should be the biggest problem.

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, my problem is how all this time we, or atleast I, was lead to believe that 6.xx was the only firmware to avoid. Public exploits or not, the "FAQs" and Q&A's released by the Gateway Team, mentioned that 6.xx blocked Gateway, but didn't say anything about 5.xx. The Gateway videos and information released at a time when nearly 2 months or more, 5.xx has been out, didn't say anything about 5 being blocked, and only made an announcement that 6 blocked gateway, re-affirming the belief that 5.xx was safe. I already had been on 5.xx for months before Gateway started acting up in the news and I was lead to believe I'd have no issues if I didn't update my 3DS again and buy a Gateway.

Even if Gateway is real, I'm calling it a scam because I pre-ordered it thinking I was good to go.

You can't deny how confusing it is that the news and details about the newer 6.xx firmware came nearly a month before any hint of news about older 5.xx firmware. I canceled my order. I guess if I wanna play project diva, i still have to buy an entire different system I don't need.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, my problem is how all this time we, or atleast I, was lead to believe that 6.xx was the only firmware to avoid. Public exploits or not, the "FAQs" and Q&A's released by the Gateway Team, mentioned that 6.xx blocked Gateway, but didn't say anything about 5.xx. The Gateway videos and information released at a time when nearly 2 months or more, 5.xx has been out, didn't say anything about 5 being blocked, and only made an announcement that 6 blocked gateway, re-affirming the belief that 5.xx was safe. I already had been on 5.xx for months before Gateway started acting up in the news and I was lead to believe I'd have no issues if I didn't update my 3DS again and buy a Gateway.

Even if Gateway is real, I'm calling it a scam because I pre-ordered it thinking I was good to go.

You can't deny how confusing it is that the news and details about the newer 6.xx firmware came nearly a month before any hint of news about older 5.xx firmware. I canceled my order. I guess if I wanna play project diva, i still have to buy an entire different system I don't need.
Sure, it was confusing and/or misleading. But you said you were on 5.x before Gateway was even announced, so Gateway not working on 5.x at the moment shouldn't be relevant, because you're already at it.

You can't just call something a scam because you were mis/uninformed about a product. Just because they said it doesn't work on 6.x, that doesn't mean it works on 5.x. Also, they're working on getting it working on 5.x, so until they say "Well, we can't get it work past 4.5 ever" just be patient.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Might have some lidelle fanart as later profile pictures