Gaming is Dead, and Here's Why

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You pretty much summed up what I have been saying for the past who knows how long.
But it's the Gaming Conventions that really upset me. I miss the old E3 so much! Watching the latest E3's have just been painful. It's become, M$ failing at being "hip," Sony failing at being entertaining, and Nintendo being like, "So here's some games, watch the rest on our Nintendo Direct!" Like it's become un-watchable at this point.
I remember enjoying games, not just buying a system and waiting months to years on end for games only to have them be meh.

Also Yoshi's New Island happened and I am still bitter about how bad that ended up being.

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lack of innovation i don''t really know what would have made the next gen consoles more innovative but Sony is still working on Project Morpheus.
And for the X1 having access to the X1 system while watching tv is nice too.

I bought my PS4 a week ago with watchdogs. Now i am looking for games that really attract me and i can't find them Only Infamous second son made me feel kinda happy.
So i was checking release dates for the upcoming games for the ps4 and than i saw that there are a few High quality games dropping this year.
This gen(PS4 X1) is still in development things will get better for sure.

About those shitty sequels there will be always shitty games among the good ones right every gen had them.

The thing about the gaming conventions is simple why would i go to one if i can stream it to my home. Why would i try the games there if they release demo's in the virtual stores of our consoles?

There's a big movement towards mobile gaming because there's a bigger audience i am sure that more people own a smartphone than a console. But the thing is mobile games will never ever give that quality feeling that the consoles or pc's give it just isn't same. Flappy Bird was a big hype getting a lot of media attention and that's why people tried the game. Also people liked it because they could brag about who could tap better on their screens. I didn't install Flappy Bird and i didn't play it. Why? It didn't feel like a game to me it wasn't something i liked and i knew that the hype would fly away.

I understand your feeling games don't attract you anymore like they used to people say your getting older but that's not it. It's because you have seen it before and have done it before the sequels seen it and done it before... a new game well that's a copy or ripoff or upgrade off that game. There isn't any new thing to experiment with. While others who started gaming after you have things to explore they have to see things they didn't experience before.

Things will get better because the Gaming industries is still one of the biggest/fastest growing industries some companies will fuckup and other will learn of their fuckup.
Things will get better for sure.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this article gets more views. I've heard these arguments before many times, so there must be some truth behind them. I also believe indie developers make games that aren't sequels or ports, but nobody really cares about them; they care about big budget games like a certain shooting title, Just Dance, Mario, blah, blah, blah. I haven't been gaming too much lately either, but it's because I'm busy with Chrono Trigger and school. Now here's an example of a great game: the animations were simple to make, letting them focus on the story. And the entire plot was carried by written dialogue and music. And I feel an amazing sense of accomplishment when I defeat the pink Nu. But anyway, I've come to the assumption that when a game is released, it is carried by journalists who give rave reviews about it and that makes thousands of people buy it, letting the game company make its millions.

Is the MacBook Pro the equivalent of a Windows laptop? Or notebook or whatever the hell they call them nowadays? I want one of those Apple laptops, but I'm another broke college student. :( Frankly, the idea that people will shit on you because you have a certain electronic device is really stupid. I have a toaster oven in my kitchen, but people don't shit on me because it's a different brand from their own (or they don't have one because they're inferior to other kitchen appliances). And I might remind people that PC stands for Personal Computer, NOT Windows. And just because your personal computer can play games doesn't give you the right to sneer at people who can't play games on their personal computer.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PC gaming has not killed the industry in the slightest, in fact it has helped sometimes.

Mobile

West: It hasn't made a huge dent but if it continues, it could destroy the industry here. Unlike in Japan, there are mobile games that aren't pay to win and/or money pits.

East: We're at the point of no return, mobile has pretty put the industry there on life support and it's mostly due to the business models, currently there are no mobile titles that aren't a huge money pit or aren't pay to win. The worst thing is that the business models used aren't even legal under Japanese law, so players are basically putting money in lawbreaking CEO's and shareholders' pockets. So how do the developers get away with this? The issue here are the users, a lot of Japanese users don't think things through, most mobile games have tons of cute mascots, moe, and lolis and people buy into the games not knowing it's a huge obvious money pit that requires hundreds to be spent by each user and since the consumers aren't thinking straight they get their money fast and it doesn't help that almost all Japanese mobile games are cheaper than meth to produce and many can be more addictive than meth. The developers take advantage of the ignorance and churn these games out every week.

There is a second problem with mobile in Japan, oversaturation, the mobile market in Japan is primed for a crash due to severe oversaturation, since many devs are hopping on the mobile bandwagon and there is very little regulation on the quality and such so you can make absolute garbage and get away with it in Japan and it could still make some money. Once the masses start thinking straight again and realize what they are contributing to, it's not going to end well for mobile developers. The only downside is if mobile goes under this way, the East is done when it comes to gaming for good.

The third problem is predatory advertising and mobile's affect on the quality of other media, mobile by design is predatory, but the content of said games makes it 10x worse because you'll have people opening their hearts and wallets by the millions just to see more of that content. When it comes to mobile affecting other media it's a double edged sword, you have your Idolm@ster titles (Cinderella Girls and Million Live) helping promote and create new anime, manga, and even helping the console titles a little however you get shit like Fantasista Doll and most likely Girlfriend (Kari) which the mobile game resulted in the anime degrading in quality because the production staff decided that the viewer needs to play the game to enjoy the series.

Japan is on borrowed time when it comes to gaming, while there are good games coming out this gen, I believe this is the last generation for them.

Reactions: Mario92

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this article gets more views. I've heard these arguments before many times, so there must be some truth behind them. I also believe indie developers make games that aren't sequels or ports, but nobody really cares about them; they care about big budget games like a certain shooting title, Just Dance, Mario, blah, blah, blah. I haven't been gaming too much lately either, but it's because I'm busy with Chrono Trigger and school. Now here's an example of a great game: the animations were simple to make, letting them focus on the story. And the entire plot was carried by written dialogue and music. And I feel an amazing sense of accomplishment when I defeat the pink Nu. But anyway, I've come to the assumption that when a game is released, it is carried by journalists who give rave reviews about it and that makes thousands of people buy it, letting the game company make its millions.

Is the MacBook Pro the equivalent of a Windows laptop? Or notebook or whatever the hell they call them nowadays? I want one of those Apple laptops, but I'm another broke college student. :( Frankly, the idea that people will shit on you because you have a certain electronic device is really stupid. I have a toaster oven in my kitchen, but people don't shit on me because it's a different brand from their own (or they don't have one because they're inferior to other kitchen appliances). And I might remind people that PC stands for Personal Computer, NOT Windows. And just because your personal computer can play games doesn't give you the right to sneer at people who can't play games on their personal computer.

Here's the funny thing about the Macbook, it's just a laptop with a different OS on it, that's it. Apple will charge a premium for it because you're buying the brand itself, kinda like Nike shoes. The laptop/notebook isn't much different than one with a Windows OS on it :P That's where the whole argument between PC and Mac gets skewed, people think that they're different when Macs are still PCs, the difference is in the OS, too bad most people will never see it that way ;) :P

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Older Final Fantasy games > Those ones :creep:

Although after playing FFX I really dunno. It too has these streamlined corridors everyone hates in FF13 yet somehow FFX is praised and FF13 hated to death for it. And the Remaster is really a joke since its just a re-release without fixing any of the problems to make the game appealing to newer audience.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Let me start by saying that innovation is overrated. A game doesn't need to be innovative in order to be good, as long as it is well made and not a regression from previous good games.

The problem with modern gaming is that today decisions about games are made by people who don't really like games, and don't play them.

These people view video games as a commodity. Their only goal is to maximize profits in order to get their bonuses. If they could sell literally sh1t to gamers for 100$, they would in an instant. They don't care about their customers.

Actually, most big game publishers today deliberately make their games not-fun, because if a game is genuinely good it will last long, and the victim.... sorry the gamer won't need his next "fix" immediately, thus reducing potential income... They want you to buy into the hype, go pay 60$ for crap, get your 5-6 hour fix, then go buy the next one... They are like drug dealers...

If you think about it, it makes sense. They don't need to spend money and time to make a good game, all they need is good graphics and some bribes to "journalists" to hype their products.

That is why gaming is dying a slow death. Since i am a gamer for 25 years, i have actually experienced the decline because i was already mature enough when it began and i noticed it.

Take any genre, ANY, ignore the graphics and the technical limitations and focus on gameplay, content, and actual effort/polish or "soul" of a game. You will find that current games are worse than their predecessors...

The only big company still somewhat decent is Nintendo. And the only good console out there right now is the 3DS. This is not because Nintendo improved over the years, it didn't, but because it didn't decline much, since they have a traditional mindset... All others produce sh1t and only sh1t, with fancy graphics...

We may see a repeat of the Video game crush in the not so distant future, and it may be Nintendo that will save gaming again...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The main problem about them is that they're generally way too expensive for what they offer. They're not bad, just overpriced - just like he complains the new consoles are :P
(honestly though the new consoles aren't even THAT expensive for the hardware they have IMO, and it's not really that different from last gen prices either.)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Contemporary consoles are not expensive and games are cheaper than they ever were (not accounting for cheap-ass budget games for Speccys or other 8-bit computers which were mostly unplayable garbage coded by one teen programmer in a dark basement). If you look back at previous generations and account for inflation you'll quickly realize that gaming has never been as cheap as it is now. Back in the NES days getting a video game for $20 was a pipe dream and getting a playable one was a success in and out of itself, having all the coding diarrhea released for the system in mind. $399 is not much to ask for, we've seen prices far higher than that.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the funny thing about the Macbook, it's just a laptop with a different OS on it, that's it. Apple will charge a premium for it because you're buying the brand itself, kinda like Nike shoes. The laptop/notebook isn't much different than one with a Windows OS on it :P That's where the whole argument between PC and Mac gets skewed, people think that they're different when Macs are still PCs, the difference is in the OS, too bad most people will never see it that way ;) :P

That's what I thought. I've always wanted one because I prefer laptops to desktops. But just what OS runs on those?

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC gaming has not killed the industry in the slightest, in fact it has helped sometimes.

Mobile

West: It hasn't made a huge dent but if it continues, it could destroy the industry here. Unlike in Japan, there are mobile games that aren't pay to win and/or money pits.

East: We're at the point of no return, mobile has pretty put the industry there on life support and it's mostly due to the business models, currently there are no mobile titles that aren't a huge money pit or aren't pay to win. The worst thing is that the business models used aren't even legal under Japanese law, so players are basically putting money in lawbreaking CEO's and shareholders' pockets. So how do the developers get away with this? The issue here are the users, a lot of Japanese users don't think things through, most mobile games have tons of cute mascots, moe, and lolis and people buy into the games not knowing it's a huge obvious money pit that requires hundreds to be spent by each user and since the consumers aren't thinking straight they get their money fast and it doesn't help that almost all Japanese mobile games are cheaper than meth to produce and many can be more addictive than meth. The developers take advantage of the ignorance and churn these games out every week.

There is a second problem with mobile in Japan, oversaturation, the mobile market in Japan is primed for a crash due to severe oversaturation, since many devs are hopping on the mobile bandwagon and there is very little regulation on the quality and such so you can make absolute garbage and get away with it in Japan and it could still make some money. Once the masses start thinking straight again and realize what they are contributing to, it's not going to end well for mobile developers. The only downside is if mobile goes under this way, the East is done when it comes to gaming for good.

The third problem is predatory advertising and mobile's affect on the quality of other media, mobile by design is predatory, but the content of said games makes it 10x worse because you'll have people opening their hearts and wallets by the millions just to see more of that content. When it comes to mobile affecting other media it's a double edged sword, you have your Idolm@ster titles (Cinderella Girls and Million Live) helping promote and create new anime, manga, and even helping the console titles a little however you get shit like Fantasista Doll and most likely Girlfriend (Kari) which the mobile game resulted in the anime degrading in quality because the production staff decided that the viewer needs to play the game to enjoy the series.

Japan is on borrowed time when it comes to gaming, while there are good games coming out this gen, I believe this is the last generation for them.

The Japanese gaming industry didn't used to be this messed up but boy in recent years, I've seen the downward spiral. In fact, about the whole gambling thing, the laws were changed somewhat due to the gacha system that was in place with a lot of mobile games but it didn't curb some developers from doing it anyway. Also, I'm tired of seeing the same types of games come out of Japan as well like these hunting games such as Monster Hunter and Freedom Wars. They all just are reskins of the same BS and in fact it's debatable whether that genre of games will even survive in the long run because of the number of them. Also the JRPGs are getting pretty bad as well. I'm sick of seeing girls and more girls as well as these games that seem to blend in too many elements of various other genres and the end result is a hot mess.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Only problem I have with this article is that WHY are you putting PC and Mobile on same sentence? From selection standpoint they differ completely and if game is released on both platforms PC is usually the one getting version of the game without microtransactions.

Otherwise I mostly agree on points and that maybe why PC popularity is still rising and steam is breaking user records time after time. This gen is just minor upgrade to last gen without backwards compatibility which isn't that exciting. Because developers need to make this gen consoles look good they are downgrading PC version to look almost the same, best example is Watch_Dogs but also other games like Murdered and Wolfenstein look almost identical and even have FPS locks in place.

Why does rise of PC gaming make overall gaming head in the wrong direction? PC does give best versions of the games, cheaper and with most options and makes them look and play even better with cheaper upgrade. Or did you perhaps mean the shitty Early Access and Greenlight programs on Steam?

People hate Early Access and Greenlight because they are missused and there's minimal competition to Steam so they don't have to do anything about it. That's why we get games that are buggy and unplayable. However it's again PC we are talking so we can use e.g. Enhanced Steam to look up metacritic user score, total count of positive/negative steam reviews, users playing now/peaks, direct link to PCGW for information how buggy the game actually is, big warning if game has extra DRM, etc. and also ability to completely disable Early Access titles on store! It also removes old games from new releases.
So even if there are decent amount of shitty games on PC and Steam, we have means to fight back at them!

Let's hope PC gains popularity and that Nintendo is still around making new fun ways to play the games.

Reactions: Nightwish

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thanks for the ridiculous, 'hard hitting', quirky head line that really wants me to find out WHY 'gaming is dead'.
now, back to the real world.

Reactions: CathyRina

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)