Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

lemonmeister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've finally got autosaving working. I needed to call a function from libfat which isn't supposed to be visible, this isn't exactly elegant, but it's the only way I could get it to work. I'm happy with the result. It's disabled by default. You can try it out with the latest build.

Yes this question was answered on this very page... either use the latest build link in the first post or wait for the next release.

fatInitDefault initializes libfat with a cache size optimized for the host, in the case of the NDS is 8 fat sectors, this causes cache retention. By using fatInit instead of fatInitDefault and setting the cacheSize param to 0 should solve the issue without exposing the opaque bits of libfat.

Reactions: Rydian

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
fatInitDefault initializes libfat with a cache size optimized for the host, in the case of the NDS is 8 fat sectors, this causes cache retention. By using fatInit instead of fatInitDefault and setting the cacheSize param to 0 should solve the issue without exposing the opaque bits of libfat.

I tried this before, and it worked in most games, but it ended up corrupting pokemon saves. I think this is the reason:

Code:
if (numberOfPages < 2) {
numberOfPages = 2;
}
By default there are 16 pages. I suppose most of the file was saved, but whatever was left in the last 2 pages wasn't saved. Then the save file is screwed up if the ds is turned off.

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if someone has already discussed this, but I was wondering how (if possible, which seems plausible) to transfer my Pokemon Yellow save file from lameboy to gameyob?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if someone has already discussed this, but I was wondering how (if possible, which seems plausible) to transfer my Pokemon Yellow save file from lameboy to gameyob?

Save states are non-transferable, but regular save files share the same format. There is actually no conversion process, just start it up and it will load the save file.

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Save states are non-transferable, but regular save files share the same format. There is actually no conversion process, just start it up and it will load the save file.

That is weird? I started up gameyob, and tried to play Pokemon Yellow and it tried to make me create a new game? I tapped the bottom screen and selected the same gamestate number as I had on Lameboy, but it said something like "state does not exist" or something. Lol I feel like I am annoying you with all of these problems/questions. Sorry. :/

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That is weird? I started up gameyob, and tried to play Pokemon Yellow and it tried to make me create a new game? I tapped the bottom screen and selected the same gamestate number as I had on Lameboy, but it said something like "state does not exist" or something. Lol I feel like I am annoying you with all of these problems/questions. Sorry. :/

Like I said, save states are not compatible, only regular save files. You need to save in Pokemon Yellow, then press X in lameboy. This creates a save file which will work in any emulator.

Ausjor97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, save states are not compatible, only regular save files. You need to save in Pokemon Yellow, then press X in lameboy. This creates a save file which will work in any emulator.

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. I understand now though, thanks a lot! :D Again, sorry if I was a bother.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found something that doesn't seem to work...

My favorite Game Boy game when I was little was "Super Mario Land". I was looking around Romhacking.net and found a hack where they had colored it, and it looked fairly nice from the screenshots. I downloaded it and set it up, but it won't play on GameYob.

I know that hacks shouldn't be expected to work on all emulators, but the description said that it was tested on real hardware, so I'm thinking that it might be possible that the issue is on this end. Could you take a look at it? If it helps, I used the link for the latest unstable build, and actually downloaded it earlier today. This was actually the first game I tried on it.

Here's a link to the hack in general. (Patch format, not a ROM)

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1187/

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I found something that doesn't seem to work...

My favorite Game Boy game when I was little was "Super Mario Land". I was looking around Romhacking.net and found a hack where they had colored it, and it looked fairly nice from the screenshots. I downloaded it and set it up, but it won't play on GameYob.

I can report that it works normally on the unstable build that I'm using now (maybe it's not the last one though) ...be sure to apply the patch on a clean rom and try again..

tomorrow I can see on my ds which version I'm using if needed too

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I can confirm what Walker D says - it actually works on both gameYob and lameBoy (if you patch it right).

You might be interessted to know that I actually managed to combine the color patch and the new gfx patch.
I had to manually edit back the filled question-boxes (since I liked those better) though.

Below are some screens:
Screen_1.png
Screen_2.png

If anybody would like to try this patch out - let me know and I will perhaps upload it to fileTrip...

Keep up the good work Drenn!

/dACE

Reactions: Walker D

Gand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I can confirm what Walker D says - it actually works on both gameYob and lameBoy (if you patch it right).

You might be interessted to know that I actually managed to combine the color patch and the new gfx patch.
I had to manually edit back the filled question-boxes (since I liked those better) though.

Below are some screens:
View attachment 2819View attachment 2820

If anybody would like to try this patch out - let me know and I will perhaps upload it to fileTrip...

Keep up the good work Drenn!

/dACE
Hi nitendo, I'minterested in your patch! Tha's a game I have always with me and play it every now and then. Thanks!

I've a problem with the game Mole Mania, every time you press start and click on any option, the colors got corrupted and go green or red.. something very strange. Can anyone look at it? Maybe is my ROM...

Thanks!

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I found a pre-patched version of the hack I was trying to use, and it seems to work fine. The only problems are that the status bar up on the top moves with the environment, and all of the music seems to play at double speed. Is that an issue for you guys too, or should I keep looking for one that works better?

Also, with the version you're playing, did you have to rename it from a .gb file to a .gbc? I used Lunar IPS on my first one, and it stayed as a .gb, but the "working" version I found was a .gbc file.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The speedup in sound is most likely due to you using the wrong version of the SML rom. You need a v1.1 (or revision A) rom to apply the patch to.
Check out my patch for directions to obtain the correct rom.

Also, please notice that NO colorization patch for GB is 100% percent flawless. There is always some glitches or miscoloring - at least in the ones I tried: SML 1, SML 2 and Metroid 2.

/dACE

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Cool, but ...what's the difference from your patch to this one and the "Super Mario Land (W) (V1.1) (New Color GFX 3.0 Hack) [C]" one? (not linking this one since I only found the rom file..)

Seems the same patch to me..

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool, but ...what's the difference from your patch to this one and the "Super Mario Land (W) (V1.1) (New Color GFX 3.0 Hack) [C]" one? (not linking this one since I only found the rom file..)

Seems the same patch to me..
Trust me - it isn't.

Shouldn't divert to long from the main subject of this thread...
- so try the patches out and decide for yourself which one you prefer.

/dACE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.