Hardware Gamestop (US) Not holding Wii U Launch

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why have a midnight launch anyway? I'm pretty sure it was confirmed at this point Gamestop was only getting pre-order systems in, which likely means barely 10-15 per store. Doesnt seem like enough to really justify opening late.

And seriously, I would NOT want to go to a midnight WiiU release, especially at a place like Best Buy or Walmart. I'm lucky enough to live right around the corner from my Gamestop (And I worked there part-time, so I know my system is getting held for me anyway). People are gonna be going crazy

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why have a midnight launch anyway? I'm pretty sure it was confirmed at this point Gamestop was only getting pre-order systems in, which likely means barely 10-15 per store. Doesnt seem like enough to really justify opening late.

And seriously, I would NOT want to go to a midnight WiiU release, especially at a place like Best Buy or Walmart. I'm lucky enough to live right around the corner from my Gamestop (And I worked there part-time, so I know my system is getting held for me anyway). People are gonna be going crazy

Exactly. I don't want some desperate douche trying to steal something I own.

rizzod

Not a New Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i dont think its going to be a problem for me.. going to have a bunch of friends.... im 6'3" 130kg .... ill sit on someone... and i have friends roughly the same size coming with me...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get the appeal of midnight launches to begin with. So you're going to camp out of your store until midnight, buy a console, install it, play it until dawn and then fall asleep from exhaustion somewhere around noon on Sunday?

Honestly, I think it'll be easier to just get up early and (try to) be the first one in line for when the store opens. That way, you'll have your entire day without passing out and messing up your biorhythm.

I preordered mine. I'll simply pick it up after coming from work. "Luckily"* for us Europeans, the thing gets released on a friday, so we'll be playing it the whole weekend.

*it's between brackets for a reason: I know it's not fun having to wait while America is already wiiu-ing it up. But as for day of the week, it's a pretty decent pick.

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds smart to me, the only people mad about this are probably those who preordered one :P. As mentioned before, they're going to sell out regardless of when they open, and if you have a preorder you're going to get it regardless of when they open; so why bother with paying employees OT and worrying about safety issues just so a few nerds can get their game on a little earlier in the day.

Kind of odd but the Gamestops where I live are normally so small that people wouldn't even have space to trample each other for a Wii U even if they wanted to.
I think it's less about people getting trampled and more about people getting robbed after they get their Wii U.

They didn't open early or at midnight for the Wii or the various models of the Nintendo DS. So how is this any surprise to anyone?
Umm, my local GameStop did open at midnight for the Wii launch(not sure about the DS), I know because I was there picking mine up. I'm not tying to be a jerk but you might want to try and get your facts straight before posting wrong info.

Riddle me this. Why hold midnight launches for Halo etc but not the consoles themselves? More people buy the console than any one game.
Straight from the OP: "unlike a game, these things are expensive and it could be a safety/security risk with it being so late."

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds smart to me, the only people mad about this are probably those who preordered one :P. As mentioned before, they're going to sell out regardless of when they open, and if you have a preorder you're going to get it regardless of when they open; so why bother with paying employees OT and worrying about safety issues just so a few nerds can get their game on a little earlier in the day.

I think it's less about people getting trampled and more about people getting robbed after they get their Wii U.

Umm, my local GameStop did open at midnight for the Wii launch(not sure about the DS), I know because I was there picking mine up. I'm not tying to be a jerk but you might want to try and get your facts straight before posting wrong info.

Straight from the OP: "unlike a game, these things are expensive and it could be a safety/security risk with it being so late."

Maybe it was only your area. The gamestops within 50 miles of me didn't open for wii midnight. Or else your lying.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i almost went to the midnight release for SSBB but it was snowing like a mitch!! so i could not go... but yeah i don't think it's worth going...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turns out the Gamestop in my area is the only one around that will have a midnight launch, much to my surprise, but it's weird how it works. I pay the amount in full before they close on Saturday (I think) and I come at 11PM to a neighboring ice cream store (this is in a shopping mall and they had to get permission to have it open). We chill there (no pun intended) and they physically hand the consoles to us (they had limited no. of preorders available apparently). Yeah, I didn't expect the Gamestop agent to call me.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds smart to me, the only people mad about this are probably those who preordered one :P.

I pre-ordered mine in full, I'm not that bugged. If my store does have a midnight launch, then cool, I'll try and go so I can stay up all night and day sunday playing it. If not, oh well, I'll pick it up Sunday morning.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I asked a GAME (UK) employee if they were doing a midnight launch a while ago. His response was something along the lines of "I don't think so, because the Wii U isn't really a proper console like the PS3 or XBox 360". I remember walking briskly out of the shopping trying not to laugh.

is the wii u out? or is it this sunday it comes out?
18th for you Yankees.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
lol i love how these our dangerous in some places

i live in the countryside and we have a GAME store LOL
at midnight launches ive never seen more than 20 people (for the 3DS there was 9)
its always great because we normally all buy the console (abit before midnight anyway ;P) then we all sit around and chat as the store set up a console for everyone to play on and have a few drinks and all go home about 1-2am

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's better to be safe than sorry. It be funny though if I got my pre-ordered WiiU games before I actually get the console. Waiting a few more hours is no big deal. Plus, normal people do something called "sleep"

edit: the countdown on Gamestop's website is slated to reach zero on Sunday at 12 AM

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading about all the robberies at midnight launches for ps3 and the other current gen. Seems to be a good idea to keep people from getting shot over a stupid game console worth a few hundred bucks. Lord knows people will kill over nothing nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some...