Gamestop (US) Not holding Wii U Launch

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by rizzod, Nov 10, 2012.

Nov 10, 2012
  1. rizzod
    OP

Member rizzod Not a New Member

Australia
    Source: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=190139

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Good to hear some people out there believe in the importance of health and safety.

3. rizzod
    OP

Australia
    im hoping its not the case in australia.

4. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    Kind of odd but the Gamestops where I live are normally so small that people wouldn't even have space to trample each other for a Wii U even if they wanted to.

5. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    That is certainly good news.
    It'll cut down on accidents, stealing and even shooting (PS3 Wal-Mart launch anybody ? ).

6. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    Maybe their just lazy, they'll sell out regardless so why pay people to stay open all night?
    For the consumers convenience? HA fuck the consumer.

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Well i guess you could try day of release with Amazon...

8. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Not really surprising. They haven't done midnight launches for consoles since 2009.

9. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    I want to feel disappointed, but my local Gamestop is so friggin' tiny that they NEVER hold midnight launches or change their hours for anything. So I guess I'm not really missing out.

10. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I've seen the wildlife in Australia. There's nothing healthy or safe about it.

So... good news?

11. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I thought the GameStop launch was a day later than the official one, anyway.

12. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Meh, GameStop has gotten worse over the years. I haven't bought anything from them in months. The ones in my area are full of unhappy workers that seem to glare at customers. Oh well, at least they're taking safety measures.

13. Annieone23

Member Annieone23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's just depressing. Part of the fun of any console launch is the mad/deadly rush to pummel the daylights out of the minimum wage-slave behind the counter. I agree with Fear Zoa actually. They know they will sell their immediate stock, due to pre-orders, no matter if they are open at midnight or 2pm the next day. Why pay OT etc then? It still makes me sad though. It's an experience!

14. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, that's unfortunate, but I guess it was expected (and needed). I was planning on getting there early, and attempt to switch my pre-order to a Deluxe from possible cancellations (because cancellations do not become available units until launch, as explained to me by a GS employee). Guess I can still do that, but instead of staying up late, I'll just have to wake up early.

15. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    They didn't open early or at midnight for the Wii or the various models of the Nintendo DS. So how is this any surprise to anyone?

2ndApex likes this.
  16. Annieone23

Member Annieone23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As unsurprising as it may be, I was sad about the lack of midnight release for those consoles too. Consoles don't exactly come out every day. Why can't Gamestop, the only nationwide dedicated gaming shop in the US, be assed enough to hold a midnight launch?

Riddle me this. Why hold midnight launches for Halo etc but not the consoles themselves? More people buy the console than any one game.

17. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Honestly, I think this is a good thing. I mean, let's be honest, WiiU's pre-orders sold out fast, so that means there are people who want one. I'd rather be safe than sorry. As much as I like going to Midnight launches, I'd rather be alive the next day than get the console first.

18. Jan1tor

Member Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Only 4 Best Buy stores in Ohio will be opening at midnight. It just seems like after talking to a lot of stores if you didn't pre-order you are just going to be SOL, cause it seems like they only have enough stock to cover the pre-orders. Most stores said to call the day or night before to see if they will have any on hand the next day. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up before Xmas.

19. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    That might explain why I didn't get a callback from the Gamestop employee yesterday. To be honest, I'm actually relieved. Why? For starters, there's the potentiality of someone trying to steal and/or harm other people just to get a console (PS3 launch anyone?). Second, I don't want to wait in line, and where I live right now, it's getting bloody cold, and with snowstorms being in the forecast for next week...yeah, no thanks.

What I'll do instead is, before I go to work on Monday, go to Gamestop, pick the console up, drop it off in my apartment, go to work and come back and play to my heart's content. Waiting for that shift to end is going to kill me.

20. rizzod
    OP

Australia
    all good for me, checked in with my local eb games, and im all good to go. they said a definite midnight launch. even said would be dumb not to do it.