Gamestop Review

techforumz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I know it's been awhile since I've posted here, but I feel that it's (somewhat) relevant to report my experience with ordering games from them both in-store and online.
Consoles I've purchased (in-store):
Sony PS2 Phat (Works good, came with aftermarket wireless controller, UBER short power cable, trouble reading a few games and especially DVDs.)
Sony PS2 Slim (DOA, turns on, but the discs rub on the lens [it protrudes too far], making it impossible to play anything whatsoever [it can't spin], possibly ruining the discs, came with OEM wired controller)
I won't mention the games I bought in store since they're WYSIWYG.
Number of Games I've ordered online: 7
Number that work: 5
Number that have original artwork: 2
Number that have a manual: 1
I have to say that those odds are HORRENDOUS!!!
1/2 consoles were DOA, the other failing slowly...
2/7 games non-functional
5/7 missing the original case (came with the stupid gamestop one)
6/7 missing the manual!!!
The only saving grace: good deals on used PS2 games, if you're ok with discs only.
My suggestion to gamestop: report the condition of the games before selling. Maybe lower / raise the price on games in bad / good condition.
My suggestion to gamers: if you really want a good condition game look elsewhere.
The only game that came with manual was Killzone
The only other game that came with cover art was Xenosaga Episode II.
I ordered TWO copies of Xenosaga Episode I, both were disc only, one didn't even work. Finally ordered off of ebay.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop sucks. They sell overpriced shit. Once saw Disgaea on PS2 for 29.99 USED.
Also, the game conditions are terrible. And they are STILL overpriced...

Reactions: 1 person

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and sometimes they have good price at least ebgames i got virtua fighter 4 for 99 cents. just the disc already had the box and i bought it since the that i had was scratched to the point that the music in game had to play so that the stage would load

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People still use Gamestop?!

I stopped going after I bought a "New" copy of Portal 2 that was already open when I got it (apparently to get out the Steam voucher) and when I tried to return it, cause it didn't work, they tole me they couldn't take it cause I opened it.

The hell?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My EBgames (gamestop) is fantastic, I always go there. The older games I find there cost the same if I count online price+ minimal shipping.

I've even gone to bought a game used, and they will go into the back to see if they have it sealed...and give me the SEALED copy for used price. That blew me away, and I am talking pristine condition, manual and perfect condition case. They don't do that for everyone mind you, just frequent customers they don't wanna lose.

I've never had them screw up a pre-order, or had them opened. You have a REALLY bad gamestop if you don't get pristine pre-orders.

Also buying refurbs is always sketchy, which is why for ANY reason at all, you can bring in a refurb and get another until you're satisfied, due to the nature of refurbs they have no way of knowing how good they work. Within 2 weeks or a month or something, of course. But I mean, if you buy it you're gonna know within hours if you want that refurb or not.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I stopped bothering with Gamestop after I saw them charging $5 more for new games than anyplace else, and then charge what other stores charge for a new game when selling you a used copy....sans a box or instructions. Meanwhile, they give you pennies on the dollar for trade-ins and don't punish people who attempt to trade in games without said box and instructions. In fact, many times the box and instructions WERE provided with the trade-in, but they throw those out and only keep the game to re-sell. Yeah, they toss the box and instructions on many occasions. The box I wouldn't worry about so much, especially if it was like a cheesy cardboard box like GBA games had, but the instructions? LAME!

I also find it pathetic that a store who's sole job is to sell games doesn't strive to have EVERY game currently available to the market, even if you had to order it and wait for it. If Gamestop doesn't consider a game popular enough, they won't even carry it, nor will they order it for you.

You know there is something evil and wrong with a company that buy's out other gaming stores that had better policies and deals for the consumer, just to further their rip-off methodology. How is it that game stores that had MUCH better deals for gamers, and were packed with customers all the time who praised that store's benefits fail and Gamestop continues to exist?

Anymore, Gamestop is an absolute LAST RESORT type of place for me. 9 times out of 10 I can find what I'm looking for somewhere else cheaper than Gamestop, when it comes to new product. As for used product, I don't find a lack of box or instructions (and a scratched up disk) any kind of deal when the NEW version is only $5 more.....and I can go anywhere else and pay the $5 less for a new copy. Granted, that $5 offset isn't a constant between new and used games there and sometimes a used version IS a lot cheaper, but that $5 scam does happen more frequently than you might think at Gamestop. Was saving a couple bucks really worth losing the box and instructions over? Did you feel you really got a deal buying that scratched up disk?

Did you know that Gamsetop let's their employees take home NEW games to try out, then re-seals them and sells them as new? THAT is why many times you buy something new at Gamestop and stuff is missing out of the box or the disk is scratched, not to mention other issues that may arise when trying to run a heavily DRM'd games that someone already ran once before.

It is a shame that there are so many people in the video gaming community who are sheep waiting to be fleeced without even realizing it. It's a shame that so many gamers think they have little other recourse than to use Gamestop as their source of games. It's a shame that gamers are often too impulsive to be concerned about how they are being scammed by Gamestop. It's shameful that Gamestop capitalizes on consumer's lack of knowledge, gullibility and impulsiveness when it comes to game purchases.

Shame on Gamestop and shame on the people who have been fooled into thinking Gamestop is worthy of your patronage and continue to go there first before exploring all other options.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol Rayder, it sounds like american gamestops are total shit.

I've personally never had a problem with them. Their prices are the same as anywhere else, no problems with new games, bunch of other crap. The only typical thing they suck at is trade-in values. Those are terrible. Though simple solution, don't trade in games.
My EBgames also gets at least a select amount of any game worth buying. It's only a small store though, so they can't bring in a ton. They don't bring in shit games like Imagine or crap like that, but it got plenty of copies of stuff like Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Symphonia 2, Nier, and other not-very-popular titles.
That's probably because the guy who runs our EBgames is awesome.

EDIT: and talking to Canadian friends and such, they never seem to have problems either. Might be a coincidence though, I guess.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I bet it's just America lol. Never ever bought a game from GameStop when i was in America. I bought Oblivion from a eletronic store that doesnt sell used games. Ive been on a vacation through half the Europe and have never ever seen a customer or me getting a game that is not working or missing manuals/cover. And if the CD didn't work i was free to change it out and get a new one. Heck i was even allowed to ask them to show all of their CDs for that game so i could pick the one that looks the cleanest one of them all. In Norway they are so nice that i even lied that a WoW gamecard didn't work and i got a competely new one unopened. Of course i saved the code on my phone so i actually got 120 days for the price of 1.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After working at a Gamestop for a few weeks during the holidays, i realized how bad they were. (Notice i said a few weeks, since i got fired since i refused to push pre-orders down peoples throats).

Either way, theres only 3 times i'll buy a game at Gamestop.

1. Its used, and comes with the case/manual, mostly during Buy 2 Get 1 sales.

2. Its a niche game, something that only Gamestop sells, or they are the only in-store retailer to sell a special version. (Like lots of NISA games like Atelier Rorona, and Disgaea 4)

3. Whenever i have a ton of store credit from flipping games

Other than that, 9 times out of 10 i'll be over at Best Buy price matching

RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok. I really have to clear the air here. I come here expecting a few negative remarks, but not outright LIES. I have to respond to this. I work at a Gamestop (Well, EB Games, but they are now the same thing), so I know exactly what goes on, and what we do, so I feel obligated to clear up these lies. I love my job, and the people I work with, and these statement just put EVERY employee of the company in a bad light. Note that I live in Canada, but I'd assume that crossing a border doesn't change company policy and the like.

Rayder said:
I stopped bothering with Gamestop after I saw them charging $5 more for new games than anyplace else, and then charge what other stores charge for a new game when selling you a used copy....sans a box or instructions. Meanwhile, they give you pennies on the dollar for trade-ins and don't punish people who attempt to trade in games without said box and instructions. In fact, many times the box and instructions WERE provided with the trade-in, but they throw those out and only keep the game to re-sell. Yeah, they toss the box and instructions on many occasions. The box I wouldn't worry about so much, especially if it was like a cheesy cardboard box like GBA games had, but the instructions? LAME!
We certainly do NOT throw out cases or instructions. My store still has 35 GBA games CIB used. As for prices, sure they are sometimes lacking, but with a discount card you save another 10%, making it about $10 less than retail for a used game near a games release. Would you expect a game to be ~$20 less if you buy a used copy a few weeks after it's released? Be realistic. Also, for about a month after a game comes out, trade value stays at $25-40. You also can't expect to get lots for a game that is ancient and we already have 40+ copies traded in. Take advantage of Trade Promos then, like Trade 2, get $50 toward COD:MW3.

Rayder said:
I also find it pathetic that a store who's sole job is to sell games doesn't strive to have EVERY game currently available to the market, even if you had to order it and wait for it. If Gamestop doesn't consider a game popular enough, they won't even carry it, nor will they order it for you.
I can only think of 4 games in the last 2 years that Gamestop didn't stock. "Puffin's Island Adventure", "HOP", "Smurfs Dance Party", and "Dementium II" (albeit this one was related to content, not popularity). The games speak for themselves. You can't expect to re-stock as soon as we run out of a given game. Also, we do transfer games from other stores if you aren't a jerk to us. All you have to do is ask us to call around. I've even got a game shipped from another province by calling the District Manager on behalf of a customer.

Rayder said:
Anymore, Gamestop is an absolute LAST RESORT type of place for me. 9 times out of 10 I can find what I'm looking for somewhere else cheaper than Gamestop, when it comes to new product. As for used product, I don't find a lack of box or instructions (and a scratched up disk) any kind of deal when the NEW version is only $5 more.....and I can go anywhere else and pay the $5 less for a new copy. Granted, that $5 offset isn't a constant between new and used games there and sometimes a used version IS a lot cheaper, but that $5 scam does happen more frequently than you might think at Gamestop. Was saving a couple bucks really worth losing the box and instructions over? Did you feel you really got a deal buying that scratched up disk?
9 times out of 10 in an extreme exaggeration. New games have set prices for the most part. Only game I can think of that started at a higher retail is NSMB Wii. Besides that, some stores may to SALES for a little while, but so do we. Crysis 2 went back on sale for 39.99 today NEW. And we charge people resurfacing charges when trading in scratched games and ship them away if they are scratched. We won't sell anything that we wouldn't personally buy (and I'm really fickle), And almost every game that has a $5 price difference between new and used is recent enough of a game that we have every case and manual for it. For instance, my store has 24 Dragon Age IIs, and 23 have a complete manual and case. We won't sell that other one until we sell all other 23 copies.

Rayder said:
Did you know that Gamsetop let's their employees take home NEW games to try out, then re-seals them and sells them as new? THAT is why many times you buy something new at Gamestop and stuff is missing out of the box or the disk is scratched, not to mention other issues that may arise when trying to run a heavily DRM'd games that someone already ran once before.
THIS statement is one of THE most false things I have EVER heard about Gamestop. I have to pre-order games just like everyone else. When a game comes out that I'm interested in but am not sure about it, I have to rent it at a place like Blockbuster. A NEW game is sold in NEW condition. The disc has never been played on a system before. Every code or promotional material is placed behind the counter if it contains any, to deter theft if we have to open a case. If we have to put a game in interactive displays, it gets re-sold as a USED game when we are finished with it. That is the only time a new game is ever "played". We have to gut games to display because game companies are too cheap to send us dummy sleeves that we can display instead of real product, not so we can play them or something ridiculous like that. Policy states that we wait 1 week before gutting a new game, meaning if you get it close to release, it will be SEALED without question.

QUOTE(Rayder @ Aug 29 2011, 09:27 AM)
It is a shame that there are so many people in the video gaming community who are sheep waiting to be fleeced without even realizing it. It's a shame that so many gamers think they have little other recourse than to use Gamestop as their source of games. It's a shame that gamers are often too impulsive to be concerned about how they are being scammed by Gamestop. It's shameful that Gamestop capitalizes on consumer's lack of knowledge, gullibility and impulsiveness when it comes to game purchases.
I am and have always been very knowledgeable about Video Games. I have been shopping at Gamestop for 6 years, and 4 of those years was before I was employed by them. They give a ton of promotional material and pre-order bonuses out, and prices are almost always reasonable (because no store has completely reasonable prices ($50 for a used PS2 Fatal Frame, Microplay? Seriously?)). Your accusations are baseless.

QUOTE(Rayder @ Aug 29 2011, 09:27 AM)
Shame on Gamestop and shame on the people who have been fooled into thinking Gamestop is worthy of your patronage and continue to go there first before exploring all other options.
My Gamestop has been worthy of my patronage since I was in the 8th Grade. I have, and always will, go there as my first source of games, just like dozens of my friends. You seem to be easily swayed by internet rumors a hearsay. To me, it doesn't even seem like you've BEEN in a Gamestop, or at least visited very few times. You can say what you will, but at least try to be truthful. Half of what you are saying is lies to make a company look bad when it isn't.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RanmaFreak said:
Rayder said:
THIS statement is one of THE most false things I have EVER heard about Gamestop. I have to pre-order games just like everyone else. When a game comes out that I'm interested in but am not sure about it, I have to rent it at a place like Blockbuster. A NEW game is sold in NEW condition. The disc has never been played on a system before. Every code or promotional material is placed behind the counter if it contains any, to deter theft if we have to open a case. If we have to put a game in interactive displays, it gets re-sold as a USED game when we are finished with it. That is the only time a new game is ever "played". We have to gut games to display because game companies are too cheap to send us dummy sleeves that we can display instead of real product, not so we can play them or something ridiculous like that. Policy states that we wait 1 week before gutting a new game, meaning if you get it close to release, it will be SEALED without question.

This was true, for me atleast (When i worked there last year, around this time). As long as they had more than 1 un-preordered copy for sale, you could check out any game for about 2-3 days. (And i did it quite a few times, like with Spiderman Shattered Dimensions, Enslaved, Medal of Honor, and a few others, all of which they literally would just hand you a new copy which you opened whenever you got home).

Though, before i left there they DID change the rule to that you couldnt check a game out until like a week after release. But before that, it was pretty much like a Blockbuster or something lol, i didnt buy so many games since i got to play them for free on launch day.

RanmaFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dgwillia said:
RanmaFreak said:
Rayder said:

This was true, for me atleast (When i worked there last year, around this time). As long as they had more than 1 un-preordered copy for sale, you could check out any game for about 2-3 days. (And i did it quite a few times, like with Spiderman Shattered Dimensions, Enslaved, Medal of Honor, and a few others, all of which they literally would just hand you a new copy which you opened whenever you got home).

Though, before i left there they DID change the rule to that you couldnt check a game out until like a week after release. But before that, it was pretty much like a Blockbuster or something lol, i didnt buy so many games since i got to play them for free on launch day.
Well, then policies are different in Canada. A lot different. We can't ever "check a game out". We aren't even allowed to play USED games (like DS games) on our breaks.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm in Canada, and the EB games here is awesome. Though they don't have much older/retro type games which sucks, but the staff are friendly, and they give deals and help all the time.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you knew me at all, you would know that lying is NOT my modus operandi. I don't appreciate being called a liar and I highly doubt GBAtemp would ever promote liars to staff positions.

I've worked at Gamestop, I KNOW how they operate. Or at least how they operated a few years back. My statements are true from my personal experience as a previous employee there. I will admit that it MAY be somewhat outdated as it was like 4 or 5 years ago. But they absolutely DID do the things I said in my previous reply at the one I worked at. That particular Gamestop is still in operation today, though I haven't stepped foot in it in over 2 years. Maybe they have changed some of their policies since then, but I highly doubt it. At least it doesn't seem so by the Gamestop I do go into occasionally at the local mall and complaints I've read online.

Maybe where you are at, Gamestop is a little more reputable (or maybe you've just been fleeced by them so long or are too big of a GS flag-waver to realize it), but in Cleveland and Parma, Ohio, they scam as hard as they can get away with. Probably comes down to area competition and management, though from what I can see, their "competitive pricing" is backwards. What I saw going on when I worked there is why I quit in the first place and why I won't patronize their stores in anything other than a last resort.

A store that specializes in video games should be able to order ANY game that is currently on the market. OK, so they don't carry it physically IN the store, but they SHOULD be able to order for you. Why don't they? They ARE a video game specialty store after all, aren't they?

There was a time when I actually bought my DS games and I would always shop around for the best price. Any highly anticipated DS game was almost always $5 more at Gamestop than they were at BestBuy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc. and they almost always would try to sell any used copies of those game at the price other stores were charging for them new, or just $5 less than what they sold it for new. Sure, maybe months later they would drop the used price, but not until they fleeced as many people as possible first. The most recent example I can remember is the Sonic Classic Collection.....GS wanted $29.99 for it new when EVERY other store had it for $19.99. Oh, but GS sold used copies for $19.99. Look online RIGHT NOW. They sell both the new AND used version for $19.99. How is that not a scam? Don't even tell me I'm lying, I SAW it with my own eyes and I bought that collection at $19.99 at Target when GS had it at $29.99.

A more common example was the DS Final Fantasy games. Just about every one of those was $5 MORE at Gamestop than anywhere else when they first released. And their used copies were priced at what other stores sold them for new. Don't tell me it didn't happen, I SAW it!

And don't give me that "discount card" baloney. That card is essentially useless unless you PAY for the more useful version of it, effectively negating most of what of the meager amounts you might save by having it. Why don't they try being fair in the first place instead of tracking your every purchase with a so-called discount card? Hmm? It just amazes me when people don't see scams for what they are. They blindly get led to the fleecing, and are HAPPY to have it done to them.

I'll bet you that if I went looking around and compared prices at retail stores and Gamestop right now, I could find CURRENT examples of that same kind of crap. Ever since Gamestop has existed in my area I have seen that kind of scam being run. Don't even tell they don't do it. I may have only one eye to see with, but I'm not blind.

The fact of the matter is, you can look around the net for many horror stories about Gamestop. Don't tell me the thousands of complaints found online are all lies.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm, at least in my hometown, that the Gamestop employees here get to take new games home at launch. I always go in and ask how the new games are. The guys working there will break the games down for me in detail (which is cool). They also tell me that they get to play the games from the time they arrive at the store until their street date (which is not cool).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY