Gamestop prices Vita Memory Cards and Accessories

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are all very different situations. The PS3 was extremely expensive because it was using the newest technology. Blu-ray players were expensive as hell when the PS3 released, and it has one built in. On top of the other price upping bits of the PS3, and the need to profit, the price got a bit out of hand. In recent years, prices have dropped pretty drastically on the technology used in the PS3. The price has dropped, sales have gone up. Sony acknowledged their mistake using technology that new and have said they don't plan to try that again. It was a bad move.

The PSP suffered a marketing set back as a system, since Sony was trying so hard with the PS3 in the west. If it had been as popular as it was supposed to be, the memory card prices wouldn't have mattered. People would have purchased them anyways. It got a little worse when Sandisk marketed pro-duo cards, since they were a new entry into the market offering cheaper cards. Sony didn't drop prices though, oddly enough. I guess they were hoping for the brand to sell the card. They screwed up there, since in recent years, people have started to care a lot more about the money they spend. Sandisk is a well known brand too, so at that point, it's either preference or price driving you.

For the Vita, the memory card prices make perfect sense. You need a memory card to enjoy the Vita. The Vita comes with no built in memory. If you buy a Vita, that memory card's price is inelastic. You would still buy it even if it cost more because you need it to enjoy the Vita, and there are no alternatives. In the end, it's all a luxury, so the price will prove elastic in time with the introduction of alternatives. For now though, their memory cards will sell fine for those that don't want to wait. It's a rip off, but economically, it's one that makes sense.

Great post, although you technically don't need a memory card. Not all titles requirement. In fact, I think only a minority of Japanese launch titles (I think like 6 of the games) require it, everything else can save to the game card and what not.

Although I can definitely see the memory cards becoming required more as the system ages a bit more. Memory cards will be wider spread, prices will probably drop a bit, and the games will probably be a bit more advanced and require the memory card for a bit more room and such. Like a bunch of later PSP titles had data installs available.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose you don't absolutely need a memory card, but you won't be doing much except playing games if you don't buy one. A big appeal of systems these days is their online capabilities that generally require you to download to reach the full potential of the features available. If you aren't one for those types of things and can stick to the games that save directly to the game cart, you'll be fine. The majority are going to want a memory card though. I'm sure some little tricks, like, say, something like the big name titles requiring saving to the memory card, will come along too. Just those little things that will push you to purchasing a memory card, even if you figured yourself to be someone who wouldn't need one.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That little game Sony is playing won't last long. They will drop the price of memory cards faster than the 3DS dropped in price.

Not only no one will buy it, but I assume 3rd party (like people mentionned Sandisk) will sell a same quality 32GB memory card for less than half the price.

The Vita was doomed to fail since Nintendo has dropped their prices and released some worthy first party, but now they just keep adding more nails in the coffin.

A lot of people won't get it now for seeing those prices.

Hell, I hope it get hacked very soon, doesn't seems it's gonna be worth getting otherwise, just like a PSP at first.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the odds the prices go down in 1/2/3 years from now? Will they drop like the microSD prices keep dropping, or will Sony just keep ripping us off?

It's a Sony product, specialized memory cards by them take forever to come down in prices, even after two years the Memory Stick Micro cards are still insanely overpriced.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you don't absolutely need a memory card, but you won't be doing much except playing games if you don't buy one. A big appeal of systems these days is their online capabilities that generally require you to download to reach the full potential of the features available. If you aren't one for those types of things and can stick to the games that save directly to the game cart, you'll be fine. The majority are going to want a memory card though. I'm sure some little tricks, like, say, something like the big name titles requiring saving to the memory card, will come along too. Just those little things that will push you to purchasing a memory card, even if you figured yourself to be someone who wouldn't need one.

Oops, I completely forgot about the multimedia stuff. So yeah, you're basically correct.

I would just say to every future Vita buyer to just get a 4GB card. You probably won't need another one for the rest of your Vita' lifespan unless you really want to purchase downloadable titles. Even then, if/by the time you need a new one, there'll probably be third party alternatives or the price will have gone down.

It's still a shit situation but you deal with what you got. In the end the Vita's upsides outweigh this for me.

It's a Sony product, specialized memory cards by them take forever to come down in prices, even after two years the Memory Stick Micro cards are still insanely overpriced.

Memory Stick Micros are like roughly the same price as SD cards for the same storage sizes.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That little game Sony is playing won't last long. They will drop the price of memory cards faster than the 3DS dropped in price.

Not only no one will buy it, but I assume 3rd party (like people mentionned Sandisk) will sell a same quality 32GB memory card for less than half the price.

The Vita was doomed to fail since Nintendo has dropped their prices and released some worthy first party, but now they just keep adding more nails in the coffin.

Hell, I hope it get hacked very soon, doesn't seems it's gonna be worth getting otherwise, just like a PSP at first.

Shut up. Seriously? The Vita will do better than the 3DS and that's coming from a Nintendo fanboy. Do you seriously think just because of the price of the Mem cards that the Vita itself won't sell? Shut up.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Shut up. Seriously? The Vita will do better than the 3DS and that's coming from a Nintendo fanboy. Do you seriously think just because of the price of the Mem cards that the Vita itself won't sell? Shut up.
Normally I won't say it but:

Both systems will do well okay? Just shut up, the both of you.

On topic: It would actually be nice to include a little on-board memory and charge the console at a slightly higher price say, $259 - 269, instead of selling these mems. In a few months Sony might not lower the prices but at least there might be reliable third party mem storage.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On topic: It would actually be nice to include a little on-board memory and charge the console at a slightly higher price say, $279, instead of selling these mems. In a few months Sony might not lower the prices but at least there might be reliable third party mem storage.

For $280 you can just buy a PS Vita WiFi model and a 4GB memory card.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, you got off my ignore list for a while due to being courteous, but I think that grace period has since expired.
All things you say when a opinion doesn't fit yours such as "You are a moron if you don't....., You don't know ****" etc, and I'm
somehow less courteous 'cause I rarely change up my words (with little tries for lol's) to try to get my point across. Really? Seriously?

If all companies are greedy, you can clearly tell some are more greedy than others.(You are a moron if you don't see that. :tpi:)

For record I'm getting the psv when some ripoffs and overall prices go down. (No, not for $100 or lower used. :tpi:)

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On topic: It would actually be nice to include a little on-board memory and charge the console at a slightly higher price say, $279, instead of selling these mems. In a few months Sony might not lower the prices but at least there might be reliable third party mem storage.

And no games, thus the memory card is pretty useless if you're only willing to spend $280. You're looking at at least $320 for a Vita, memory card, and a reason to have a memory card (a $40 game).

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Oops my bad, changed the price.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
obviously, they're trying to get back some of the money they lose with that 250$ battle price...
obviously too, this will cost them a few sales, maybe even a lot.

all of this price madness is making me look forward to the actual release.
wouldnt be surprised if sales were only high for the first week and then really just stagnating with everyone waiting for price drops

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all these prices.... I'm kinda wondering if this is part of Sony's plan to help alleviate the pre-order crisis that happened with the PS3. Minimum $320 for the low end Vita model, memory card, and 1 game. That's pretty high for a portable.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oops, I completely forgot about the multimedia stuff. So yeah, you're basically correct.

I would just say to every future Vita buyer to just get a 4GB card. You probably won't need another one for the rest of your Vita' lifespan unless you really want to purchase downloadable titles. Even then, if/by the time you need a new one, there'll probably be third party alternatives or the price will have gone down.

It's still a shit situation but you deal with what you got. In the end the Vita's upsides outweigh this for me.

Memory Stick Micros are like roughly the same price as SD cards for the same storage sizes.

The draw back and one of the big failings of the PSP Go was the Memory Stick Micro, the price at release was incredibly high compared to MicroSD cards which were already on a land slide down in price and now cost next to nothing for a 16 or 32GB card, while the Memory Stick Micro is at least double the price even now.

I have heard Sony is going with a new format for the PS Vita, however I don't see why they wouldn't stick with the Memory Stick Micro since it's not an old format.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The draw back and one of the big failings of the PSP Go was the Memory Stick Micro, the price at release was incredibly high compared to MicroSD cards which were already on a land slide down in price and now cost next to nothing for a 16 or 32GB card, while the Memory Stick Micro is at least double the price even now.

I have heard Sony is going with a new format for the PS Vita, however I don't see why they wouldn't stick with the Memory Stick Micro since it's not an old format.

Maybe at launch, but checking Amazon right now shows that the prices of Memory Stick Micros and SD cards and basically the same. And the PSP Go failed for a lot of reasons but I don't think memory cards were one of them. You already had 16GB internal storage from the get go, I've fit quite a few games on there myself and I couldn't see myself expanding my storage outside of getting something to play music with.

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Their nickname is $ony. That says why right there, they want more $ on launch. After they've gotten decent revenue from the launch, they'll lower the prices to around SD level, I'm sure.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sony has said (I do believe) that they're not making a loss on the Vita.

im almost certain they didnt. i thought it was pretty much 100% certain that the vite would be subsidized to reach a low price.
if they ever said that, it could only be true if you look at just the price for the parts alone.
but if you add in assembly costs, packing, advertising, shipping, and most importantly developing costs, it should be impossible to not make a loss

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: