Gamestop prices Vita Memory Cards and Accessories

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony.. Obviously. Take a look at how they price everything else.... lol

Like that ridiculous $250 for the Vita itself? I mean c'mon, they're competition would never price something that high.

OH WAIT. The same people who call the Vita "outrageously overpriced" are the same people who bought their competitor's product for an identical price.

Even if they aren't selling at a loss, just make you wonder how much profit they are getting for each psv. :unsure:

Probably not a terrible large amount. Kindle Fires, I heard, cost almost as much to make as they sell for. Like something like $198 to make and they sell for $200. I forget where I saw this though, I'd suggest looking it up and not taking my word for it. But they'll bank on game sales and accessory sales like this to make up a majority of the profit, the Vita just won't dig them a hole they have to climb out of before they make a profit, unlike the PS3 Slim (even though that eventually turned a profit too).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That little game Sony is playing won't last long. They will drop the price of memory cards faster than the 3DS dropped in price.

Not only no one will buy it, but I assume 3rd party (like people mentionned Sandisk) will sell a same quality 32GB memory card for less than half the price.

The Vita was doomed to fail since Nintendo has dropped their prices and released some worthy first party, but now they just keep adding more nails in the coffin.

A lot of people won't get it now for seeing those prices.

Hell, I hope it get hacked very soon, doesn't seems it's gonna be worth getting otherwise, just like a PSP at first.

Shut up. Seriously? The Vita will do better than the 3DS and that's coming from a Nintendo fanboy. Do you seriously think just because of the price of the Mem cards that the Vita itself won't sell? Shut up.

The Vita is doomed to struggle against the 3DS price point at launch, however if they put out a consistent number of quality games over it's life span, it will succeed well enough. But with the 3DS at it's current price and an inevitable price drop next year when more games are out and the owner base has expanded, Sony will be in tough to compete against Nintendo. I don't think the Vita will fail, it will probably due marginally better then the PSP since it will no doubt have a plethora of hardcore titles, but even Nintendo is off the casual bandwagon and getting some pretty serious titles for the hardcore gamer.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like that ridiculous $250 for the Vita itself? I mean c'mon, they're competition would never price something that high.

OH WAIT. The same people who call the Vita "outrageously overpriced" are the same people who bought their competitor's product for an identical price.

1 step forward, 2 steps back. As amazing as it is that the vita is $250, if you make the required accessories overpriced, you're still ripping off the customer.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Even if they aren't selling at a loss, just make you wonder how much profit they are getting for each psv. :unsure:

Probably not a terrible large amount. Kindle Fires, I heard, cost almost as much to make as they sell for. Like something like $198 to make and they sell for $200. I forget where I saw this though, I'd suggest looking it up and not taking my word for it. But they'll bank on game sales and accessory sales like this to make up a majority of the profit, the Vita just won't dig them a hole they have to climb out of before they make a profit, unlike the PS3 Slim (even though that eventually turned a profit too).

I didn't really mind the 3DS price point at launch, I paid it and have been extremely satisfied with the system so far. I will gladly pay 250 for the PS Vita providing there is at least one game of reasonable length available at launch. But of course the accessories need to be fairly valued as well in order for Sony to move more products.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the games are a luxury. Not to everyone. It is people outlet, their entertainment. I believe entertainment to a point is a need.
Plus why do we need to pay so much to have/play quality games? :/

Not everything entertain everyone...

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
About the games are a luxury. Not to everyone. It is people outlet, their entertainment. I believe entertainment to a point is a need.

Nope, entertainment is not a need it's a luxury. If you can't afford a PSV here are a couple of sticks for you to play with bro. Now go fetch.

Reactions: 2 people

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Way too much, no thank you. Ill wait until they prices go way down.

You'll be waiting about 3 years, or longer.

I'm still amazed people haven't noticed they're nearly the same price as the memory stick duos, which took like half the PSPs life just to drop in price.
The price worked for the PSP, why would they change it?

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It actually isn't that much to buy games as most of the time there are only 1 or 2 good games that come out each month, if that. It only costs $30-$60 per game depending on the console it's released for, which really isn't that much out of a monthly budget. Games have always been around the $40-$50 price range even since the NES days, and back then $40-$50 was a lot more than it is now. I can understand if a person doesn't have a job how it could be quite expensive, but for someone who has a regular income putting aside a little each month shouldn't be much of a problem.

Reactions: 1 person

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
And.. the Vita doesn't use SD cards because..?

..because Sony likes to rip people off, so they mass produce memory cards that their hardware engineers took 2 months to copy and redevelop the tech from other memory cards..

..Sony, that's way too expensive, really.

This just looks like a rebranded Memory Stick Micro..

Memory_Stick_Micro.JPG

vs
gallery_177066_262_44397.png

It looks awfully similar... The only difference is a bit of plastic on the edges..

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To be honest, 250 for the Vita to me isn't outrageously overpriced.

But their memory storage IS really overpriced. Doesn't really matter anyway if reliable third party ones are out.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get your s*it together Sony, you're shooting yourself in the foot with prices like that.
They have got their shit together, this is where most of the profit comes from. Memory cards and accessories.

Have you seen Microsofts trap with the 360?
Buy the 4GB 360 console and you're fucked, you can't use other hard drives since they limit you to 8GB per drive and you're forced to buy the over priced hard drive.
And the controllers, they have two different packaging for the same controller (360 and Windows) Windows one is cheaper than the 360 one.

It's the standard now.

I could deal with the extremely overpricing if it was optional, but to play original Xbox games, to save replays & play several game modes in Halo Reach, they made it so it "requires" an HDD. I'm sure there's more, I don't play anything besides Halo. It's complete bull****.

Velotix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Woah. Never mind. I was going to buy a Vita a month or two after it came out but the price for these memory cards! Yeah, Unless I can use my army of memory cards on it I'm out until I can. Or until the memory card price drops. What ever comes first I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free