Gamestop prices Vita Memory Cards and Accessories

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I wonder just how much space each game will require for their personal use. If they end up using a lot, then getting the lower capacity cards would be bad from the get-go, meaning you'd either have to buy another low capacity card, or start with a higher capacity card, both of which will end up costing quite a bit.

Reactions: 2 people

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
very strange, after announcing such a low price of the console, suddenly these prices? i cant tell bcz we already have such prices here. if there (US) its these prices, then i dont know wht could the price become here
there must be a reason bcz i cant see sony doing this on purpose.

vita portable charge, $50... first it wasnt so now it will become

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That be HDD, we be talkin' SD adaptah. 4Gb ain't much, pardner', but I must say, I've nevah seen such a contraption in me life.
Well technically we were talking large-card-to-small-card-slot adapter. The adapter had a 4GB Microdrive, but it could be replaced with a Compact Flash card so it's technically a card-to-card adapter :ha: This thing cost $100 when it came out, and at the time it was cheaper than getting a 4GB Memory Stick Duo.

Oh I remember that! It was seen quite often in the first days of the PSP homebrew scene (1.5 FTW). Good times, good times.

I'll be grabbing the Vita soon as I hope to be able to exploit it as an emulating powerhouse :creep:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That be HDD, we be talkin' SD adaptah. 4Gb ain't much, pardner', but I must say, I've nevah seen such a contraption in me life.
Well technically we were talking large-card-to-small-card-slot adapter. The adapter had a 4GB Microdrive, but it could be replaced with a Compact Flash card so it's technically a card-to-card adapter :ha: This thing cost $100 when it came out, and at the time it was cheaper than getting a 4GB Memory Stick Duo.

Oh I remember that! It was seen quite often in the first days of the PSP homebrew scene (1.5 FTW). Good times, good times.

I'll be grabbing the Vita soon as I hope to be able to exploit it as an emulating powerhouse :creep:

Tru dat. I demand portable Saturn emulation, right Nao. I don't think any portable does it as of today.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i dont get is that they are pushing digital downloads. They say every game will be avalible day 1 online (and i think i saw a JP game being cheaper if you bought it online) How do you expect people to even bother with it when you make them spend over 100$ for a damn good size memory card? Everyones going to say screw it and buy the cards and continue to trade them in and buy them used. I know i will.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what i dont get is that they are pushing digital downloads. They say every game will be avalible day 1 online (and i think i saw a JP game being cheaper if you bought it online) How do you expect people to even bother with it when you make them spend over 100$ for a damn good size memory card? Everyones going to say screw it and buy the cards and continue to trade them in and buy them used. I know i will.

One could reason that for anybody who purchases a large amount of games, if the online prices are significantly cheaper, that the 32GB card will pay for itself over time.

Everyone says a good gaming computer is super expensive but eventually the deals you'll get on Steam and, let's face it, the ease of piracy will probably pay for the extra costs over time. It's kinda the same reasoning you could make for a 32GB/$120 card.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So the memory cards costs cost almost exactly the same as a PSP memory stick duos of the same size (except +$5)

um

are people actually surprised?

Doesn't it have internal memory anyway? I thought I heard that.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One could reason that for anybody who purchases a large amount of games, if the online prices are significantly cheaper, that the 32GB card will pay for itself over time.

Everyone says a good gaming computer is super expensive but eventually the deals you'll get on Steam and, let's face it, the ease of piracy will probably pay for the extra costs over time. It's kinda the same reasoning you could make for a 32GB/$120 card.

the problem is that, especially with how people are today (instant gratification and all) will not go "well it will be worth it later down the line". most of the common consumers wont even think twice after seeing those prices, regardless of how good it might be worth it. It really seems like a plain old stupid move by sony yet again. If they were launching a more expensive version with a big HD build in, i would tottaly get it, but they dont, so i cant understand it. They really need to learn that jacking prices =/= more money for them, this was a big problem for them on the ps3 launch, so i thought they learned (heck same for the psp)

So the memory cards costs cost almost exactly the same as a PSP memory stick duos of the same size (except +$5)

um

are people actually surprised?

Doesn't it have internal memory anyway? I thought I heard that.

nada, they actually require you buy a memory stick to even save for certain games (uncharted 3 being the first to be reported on about it)

D

Deleted User

Time for some guys from China and around there to make £1 Vita gamecards to sell online.
:/

edit: I mean, Memory Cards. :(

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 32GB is the best deal even at a cost of $119.99. If you were to buy 8 of the 4GB memory cards at $29.99 each you would be paying $240, which is the same cost as 2 of the 32GB cards. I've already preordered the 32GB card because I have quite a bit of PSP games that I would like to take with me on the go.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Nintendo, if you really want to make some money, you should follow Sony and make the 3ds only accept you cards with about double the price of regular sd cards.
Oh and make sure to make a first party dark color COD-like game that can only be play with the cards. You can even cover it up with a story and lacking combat.
Copy some of the other guys and just sell 1/2 the game and nicely give us the rest in pay dlc. Make such you slip in some online passes as well.

^_^

Seriously tho, can't wait for 3rd party alternative for this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Nintendo, if you really want to make some money, you should follow Sony and make the 3ds only accept you cards with about double the price of regular sd cards.
Oh and make sure to make a first party dark color COD-like game that can only be play with the cards. You can even cover it up with a story and lacking combat.
Copy some of the other guys and just sell 1/2 the game and nicely give us the rest in pay dlc. Make such you slip in some online passes as well.

You know what, you got off my ignore list for a while due to being courteous, but I think that grace period has since expired.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country

the problem is that, especially with how people are today (instant gratification and all) will not go "well it will be worth it later down the line". most of the common consumers wont even think twice after seeing those prices, regardless of how good it might be worth it. It really seems like a plain old stupid move by sony yet again. If they were launching a more expensive version with a big HD build in, i would tottaly get it, but they dont, so i cant understand it. They really need to learn that jacking prices =/= more money for them, this was a big problem for them on the ps3 launch, so i thought they learned (heck same for the psp)

Those are all very different situations. The PS3 was extremely expensive because it was using the newest technology. Blu-ray players were expensive as hell when the PS3 released, and it has one built in. On top of the other price upping bits of the PS3, and the need to profit, the price got a bit out of hand. In recent years, prices have dropped pretty drastically on the technology used in the PS3. The price has dropped, sales have gone up. Sony acknowledged their mistake using technology that new and have said they don't plan to try that again. It was a bad move.

The PSP suffered a marketing set back as a system, since Sony was trying so hard with the PS3 in the west. If it had been as popular as it was supposed to be, the memory card prices wouldn't have mattered. People would have purchased them anyways. It got a little worse when Sandisk marketed pro-duo cards, since they were a new entry into the market offering cheaper cards. Sony didn't drop prices though, oddly enough. I guess they were hoping for the brand to sell the card. They screwed up there, since in recent years, people have started to care a lot more about the money they spend. Sandisk is a well known brand too, so at that point, it's either preference or price driving you.

For the Vita, the memory card prices make perfect sense. You need a memory card to enjoy the Vita. The Vita comes with no built in memory. If you buy a Vita, that memory card's price is inelastic. You would still buy it even if it cost more because you need it to enjoy the Vita, and there are no alternatives. In the end, it's all a luxury, so the price will prove elastic in time with the introduction of alternatives. For now though, their memory cards will sell fine for those that don't want to wait. It's a rip off, but economically, it's one that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.