Gaming Gamespot gave Bayonetta 2 a 10

D

Deleted User

I'm sure that the website that gave Metroid: Other M an 8.5 and Xenoblade Chronicles a 9 isn't bias towards Nintendo at all.
Bayo 2 = 91 metacritic, and Xenoblade should of been at least a 9.5 best RPG last gen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm afraid that both of those games, and possibly also this one, suffer from the "It's a great game for a Wii (U) game" effect - there's just very little out there to compare them to. I'm not saying that Bayonetta 2 is bad, I'm yet to try it myself, but the original wasn't all that, so I more or less know what to expect. As for Xenoblade Yawnicles, that game felt like cutting your own wrists with the dull end of a rusty spoon. :rofl2: I quite enjoyed Other M though, despite the awful treatment of Samus. The gameplay was there, and that's what mattered to me.

EDIT: I especially like how you're playing the revisionist history game when pretty much all Metroid fans unanimously hate Other M and think it's an awful game despite all the critical acclaim. :P
Bayo 2 = 91 metacritic, and Xenoblade should of been at least a 9.5 best RPG last gen.
Nah, it was awful. Dozens of better JRPG's out there, even just last gen ones.

D

Deleted User

"I'm afraid that both of those games, and possibly also this one, suffer from the "It's a great game for a Wii (U) game" effect". "I'm not saying that Bayonetta 2 is bad, I'm yet to try it myself"
The game suffers from it's a great game for Wii (U) effect, yet has never played the game? makes sense.

God, what did Nintendo do to you people? piss in you're cheerios? i don't get it the hate here is SOO strong.

Xenoblade is boring? i feel ever so sorry for you, honestly, no hate.

Anyway enough nerdrage on the internet today, i don't even LOVE Nintendo like that i still prefer Sony but damn i feel like i gotta stick up for the kid that get's bullied for no reason.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No matter how amazing the game is, what matters is that there's a userbase to play it. The first game was a sleeper hit, which probably means that it'll be the same on Wii U. I'd like to see the game sell well, for the sake of the company to be urged to make more games. I don't see that happening, though.

Bayo1 sold like shit despite being a critical hit. PG were pretty open about their disappointment with the sales and when it came to Bayo2, no publisher wanted it.

I have no doubt Bayo2 will be awesome, I also have no doubt the gaem will sell like shit. Nichie gaem mixed with the Wii U audience having a tendency to not buy gaems, Bayo2 is gonna bomb.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The game suffers from it's a great game for Wii (U) effect, yet has never played the game? makes sense. God, what did Nintendo do to you people? piss in you're cheerios? i don't get it the hate here is SOO strong. Xenoblade is boring? i feel ever so sorry for you, honestly, no hate. Anyway enough nerdrage on the internet today, i don't even LOVE Nintendo like that i still prefer Sony but damn i feel like i gotta stick up for the kid that get's bullied for no reason.
I don't hate Nintendo, I just didn't like Xenoblade because it's a shitty game and I don't think Bayonetta 2 is 10/10 material because Bayonetta 1 wasn't all that, but I'm reserving my judgement until I play the game - nothing wrong with that.

D

Deleted User

Bayo1 sold like shit despite being a critical hit. PG were pretty open about their disappointment with the sales and when it came to Bayo2, no publisher wanted it.

I have no doubt Bayo2 will be awesome, I also have no doubt the gaem will sell like shit. Nichie gaem mixed with the Wii U audience having a tendency to not buy gaems, Bayo2 is gonna bomb.
Actually the Wii U has the highest attach rate of all next gen consoles so far, If you have Wii U you buy games for it apprently? CRAZY i know.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually the Wii U has the highest attach rate of all next gen consoles so far, If you have Wii U you buy games for it apprently? CRAZY i know.
That's interesting. Last time I checked, Ubisoft mentioned that the Wii U sales contributed *3%* to total AC IV sales and has since withdrawn from all Wii U development except family-oriented games and Just Dance. Crazy, I know. When you're posting such perpostrous facts, post a source please. :P

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The game suffers from it's a great game for Wii (U) effect, yet has never played the game? makes sense.

God, what did Nintendo do to you people? piss in you're cheerios? i don't get it the hate here is SOO strong.

Xenoblade is boring? i feel ever so sorry for you, honestly, no hate.

Anyway enough nerdrage on the internet today, i don't even LOVE Nintendo like that i still prefer Sony but damn i feel like i gotta stick up for the kid that get's bullied for no reason.
I'm not sure where you're seeing the strong hate. Most people here seem to think that Bayonetta 2 will be anything ranging from good to GOTY, but that it's going to sell like shit anyway - not because of hate, but because of three perfectly logical reasons.
A. this is a sequel to Bayonetta. Bayonetta was a niche game that sold like shit
B. this is on the WiiU, which is a Nintendo console. Nowadays, M rated games on Nintendo consoles sell like shit
C. the WiiU doesn't have all that many owners compared to the Xbox360 + PS3 that the original Bayonetta appeared on

so shit sales + shit sales + not a big potential market = shit sales.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm afraid that both of those games, and possibly also this one, suffer from the "It's a great game for a Wii (U) game" effect - there's just very little out there to compare them to. I'm not saying that Bayonetta 2 is bad, I'm yet to try it myself, but the original wasn't all that, so I more or less know what to expect. As for Xenoblade Yawnicles, that game felt like cutting your own wrists with the dull end of a rusty spoon. :rofl2: I quite enjoyed Other M though, despite the awful treatment of Samus. The gameplay was there, and that's what mattered to me.

EDIT: I especially like how you're playing the revisionist history game when pretty much all Metroid fans unanimously hate Other M and think it's an awful game despite all the critical acclaim. :P
Nah, it was awful. Dozens of better JRPG's out there, even just last gen ones.

That doesn't really make any sense Foxi. When reviewing a game, you don't review it based on how it compares to other games on a platform. You review based on its own merits and compared to where games are at as a whole. If this 'comparing it to what's currently available for the system' idea of reviewing things was in place, Ridge Racer Vita would have gotten stellar scores for being the only racing game for the Vita at launch and Red Steel would have thrived in terms of reviews for being the only pure action game for the Wii at launch. But they didn't, because reviewers don't do that.

Full disclosure attached, I don't really like Metroid Other M so this isn't some revisionist type thing going on. I'm just pointing out that the critics gave both those games decent scores because they liked it and not because of some so-called bias.

Is Bayonetta 2 getting a 91 on Metacritic a result of some sort of delusional fanboy dream Nintendo bias or simply the much more likely result of great critical reception thanks to Platinum releasing a great sequel to the well-liked original Bayonetta. A reasonable person would think the latter.

D

Deleted User

I'm not sure where you're seeing the strong hate. Most people here seem to think that Bayonetta 2 will be anything ranging from good to GOTY, but that it's going to sell like shit anyway - not because of hate, but because of three perfectly logical reasons.
A. this is a sequel to Bayonetta. Bayonetta was a niche game that sold like shit
B. this is on the WiiU, which is a Nintendo console. Nowadays, M rated games on Nintendo consoles sell like shit
C. the WiiU doesn't have all that many owners compared to the Xbox360 + PS3 that the original Bayonetta appeared on

so shit sales + shit sales + not a big potential market = shit sales.
I'm seeing the strong hate because you're preaching about shitty sales on a game that has gotten a 10/10 on multiple review sites, 10/10 do you know what that means? that it's a masterpiece, i will enjoy playing the shit out of it. I for one do not give a flying fuck as to how much this game sells, but i do believe it will do better than what haters say. Smash & Bayo 2 for Christmas? sounds amazing.
You seem to be unfamiliar with the circlejerk rules, let me brief you in. Either you agree with the crowd or you're a hater, that's how it works. :rolleyes:
Ahhhh the true self appears from the shadows, going against the grain gives you you're jolly's doesn't it? that's all that this is really about anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That doesn't really make any sense Foxi. When reviewing a game, you don't review it based on how it compares to other games on a platform. You review based on its own merits and compared to where games are at as a whole. If this 'comparing it to what's currently available for the system' idea of reviewing things was in place, Ridge Racer Vita would have gotten stellar scores for being the only racing game for the Vita at launch and Red Steel would have thrived in terms of reviews for being the only pure action game for the Wii at launch. But they didn't, because reviewers don't do that.
You are correct, the idea makes no sense at all, but I have a strong feeling that many reviewers fall into that trap and give games higher scores simply because owners of a given platform can't really count on getting anything better. I too believe that games should be reviewed based on their own merits, games should stand on their own two feet when faced with criticism, but I don't think every reviewer shares that opinion.
Full disclosure attached, I don't really like Metroid Other M so this isn't some revisionist type thing going on. I'm just pointing out that the critics gave both those games decent scores because they liked it and not because of some so-called bias.
That's the official story, sure, but user scores seem to differ. Just for the record, I quite enjoyed Other M - it wasn't perfect, but it was a fun game.
Is Bayonetta 2 getting a 91 on Metacritic a result of some sort of delusional fanboy dream Nintendo bias or simply the much more likely result of great critical reception thanks to Platinum releasing a great sequel to the well-liked original Bayonetta. A reasonable person would think the latter.
I think I'm being pretty reasonable if I say that 10/10 is a score reserved for groundbreaking, genre-defining games. In my mind, 9/10 signifies an ideal game wheras 10/10 signifies a game that goes beyond convention and sets new standards, sets the bar higher for future productions - a game that's perfect and then some.

There's a good few games I could name as 10/10's - Doom, Unreal, Fallout, Diablo, Street Fighter 2, Starcraft, Mario 64, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy etc. - those are games that either created a genre, popularized it or re-envisioned it in such a way that after playing them you couldn't look at other games the same way. Those are games that could be considered landmarks, games that made an everlasting impression on the gaming community and games that were emulated ever since. Is Bayonetta 2 really that kind of a game? Now, I won't judge before I play it, but I think that's a pretty tall order.
Ahhhh the true self appears from the shadows, going against the grain gives you you're jolly's doesn't it? that's all that this is really about anyway.
I just like having my own opinion. It's not about going against the grain, it's about expressing what I think.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm seeing the strong hate because you're preaching about shitty sales on a game that has gotten a 10/10 on multiple review sites, 10/10 do you know what that means? that it's a masterpiece, i will enjoy playing the shit out of it. I for one do not give a flying fuck as to how much this game sells, but i do believe it will do better than what haters say. Smash & Bayo 2 for Christmas? sounds amazing.

no, I don't think you understand how this works. Bayonetta 1, which also got extremely good reviews http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bayonetta sold like shit. While I agree that this is not a detriment to your personal enjoyment of the game, it will hinder any development of potential future sequels and/or other similar games from other developers for the WiiU. So basically you are indeed getting a great game, the problem is that you'll probably never get another one like this.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread is full of lolz. The game will bomb even if it's good. It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but people still aren't going to go out of their way to buy a Wii U if they don't have a taste for your average Nintendo game. Then you hit the next problem that has already been mentioned: the average Wii U owner does not play M rated games. Period. It doesn't matter if they're good, violent, have strong language, etc., they just don't touch them. The Wii pretty much alienated every Nintendo gamer who valued quality M rated titles on a Nintendo system and pushed them towards the more M rating friendly competition. Then you have the fact that Bayonetta sold like shit. It probably wasn't aided by the fact that the PS3 version of the game was pretty buggy compared to the other ports, but that is only one system. Despite releasing multiplatform, the game was still a commercial failure.

Sequels don't tend to magically ignore the reputation of the source material. Bayonetta failing will really hurt Bayonetta 2 with being a Wii U exclusive being the final nail in the coffin for the series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...