Orc Orc Orc
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Read the article here.
So?
What do we think?
I find it a bit compelling, I've read similar stuff before as well. I think that all that time inside nestled up with imaginary things is not healthy for people, making them depressed and nuts a bit.
M'yep.
It's difficult to know when gaming is more than just recreation, when it's a habit and when it's an addiction.
Sure sure, I love to game. I think games make the world go 'round.
But I also try to limit my game time to at most, 2 hours or so per day. I used to game ALL the time, but I started getting bad wrists and my vision got worse, I felt angry a lot of the time as well!
I gave up on all those hours of games in exchange for human interaction and I've improved in all of those areas.
Well, ok so maybe my vision didn't get any better but I do wear glasses more often now.
But let's hear it, what do you think?
Have links to other articles? Let's see!

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Haha, I think it depends.

Games don't make people depressed. People make themselves depressed.

Anything taken to the extreme is bad. In my opinion, if you're going to stay at home all day playing games or otherwise, you're going to be an anti-social, no matter what. It's not necessarily games that make people anti-social, but I would say it might affect someone to a certain extent.

Games could even be a way to socialize. You could invite some friends over and talk whilst versing in Tekken, or something like that.

It's not the games itself, but how you let it affect your personal life.

Anyways, these are just some personal opinions. I'm not basing them on anything other than my own experience.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Depression can be influenced my a variety of factors. I think gaming could have some influence on mood, however despite any correlation I don't believe that there is any serious reason to imply causation.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yet another example where they have the cause and effect the wrong way around. Gaming is an escapist activity. So is reading, for that matter, or movies, shows, music, internet, tons of stuff. Depressed people want to hide from what is making them depressed, tune it out and repress it while they can. So they engage in such activity. Find refuge from their problems. So the same survey results can be interpreted as "some depressed people play games obsessively to avoid having to face their problems" instead of "games make people depressed", but that doesn't make for quality panic-mongering sensationalism, and therefore that interpretation isn't as popular.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
35? depressed? still playing games? shouldn't you have like a job? or a family to raise? kidding
tongue.gif

one of the main things about depression depends on the environment. if you're playing games you're putting yourself in an antisocial environment(true most of the time). getting out of depression is either you come to your own conclusion by yourself or by taking advice from other people. So i guess gaming could fuel depression. but by no means would that make all gamers depressed.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm calling BS on the article because the fact is that gamers go though age regression and depression has nothing to do with gaming, it's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, however, tragic events, and extreme stress are a factor in depression. However I can prove that gaming did snap me out of depression after a betrayal of a lady friend. I played more competitively in gaming mainly for fun shortly afterward for 2 years, and that's what did the job and why I'm here today.

Nonuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
35? depressed? still playing games? shouldn't you have like a job? or a family to raise? kidding
tongue.gif

one of the main things about depression depends on the environment. if you're playing games you're putting yourself in an antisocial environment(true most of the time). getting out of depression is either you come to your own conclusion by yourself or by taking advice from other people. So i guess gaming could fuel depression. but by no means would that make all gamers depressed.

i agree

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I saw the article on Gamespot and it was interesting how many people they surveyed, and the location. They said they're aged 35, like someone here already mentioned, depressed like you mentioned, and obese. But the statistics are based on about 500 people, and they're all in Seattle. They can't just use a city, or even just one country for a study like this, that makes it inaccurate. It's pretty sad since they bothered publishing this as it isn't an accurate survey.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I laughed at the article. The average gamer is 35? Ha. Right. Average gamer is under 25. Sorry, come again.

PS: I am most certa- oh who am I kidding, I'm 65% of the time depressed. But it's NOT because of games. It's because life sucks ass.

mucus

Orc Orc Orc
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cablephish makes a very good point here.
For a decent survey like this, it needs to be over a very large area.
I think that a major town from each of the major countries would work.
But still, you're never going to get an accurate view. Ever.

I'm not surprised at gamers' ages though, I mean I suspect it's younger than that. But I don't think that the average gamer is under 20 either.

mucus

Orc Orc Orc
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yuyuyup said:
I wanna blow my brains out but I don't blame games except for Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
Ahhhhh!!! Ghouls 'N' Ghosts!
AHHHH!!!! Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts!
AHHH!!!! It's really a nightmare inducing game I'll give it that much.

Ok, again I gotta give props to Cablephish for pointing out the distraction thing.
I think he's right about this, people play games cuz they want to be distracted and think about something other that what's ACTUALLY happening.

The idea that games CAUSE depression though is not something can be easily lain to rest, but I think that it's a common misconception.
But kiddies, if you are feeling depressed maybe lay off games and go outside, it really did wonders for me and mine.
Furthermore, if you think you really are depressed talk to some real humes* about it. Your parents, friends, professionals, usually schools have counselors and whatnots as well, they are usually helpful with these issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu