Looking for a microphone (specific requirement)

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have very loud neighbour living above me (i live in an appartment complex). I'd really love to complain, but the landlord just doesn't care about what I'm asking (F*cking peace). So I need proof about all those noises coming from above.
I tried recording the noises when they occur, but they are not constant. Most of the time, I hear people running, stomping, sometime it sounds like they are moving their furniture, sometime it's like they are renovating.
The microphone of my cellphone is of very poor quality. Whenever I try recording, I have to hold it at arm's length, as near to my roof as possible, not move at all because if i do, the noise of the movement will be recorded as well, and stand still for as long as possible. And even then, most of the time, there will be "ambient sound" well over the actual noise I'm trying to record.

So, I have no choice but to buy a microphone of quality. I need a bluetooth microphone that I can stick on a wall. It would be the best way to record constantly in the direction I want.
Unfortunatly, I can't put a lot of money on it, especially since it will be its only use.
thanks

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about bluetooth, but for what you're trying to accomplish, I'd say you want a condenser mic. Now, something on the cheaper side, like a Shure SM57 might work, but I haven't used it for that type of situation. But either way, a dynamic mic isn't going to offer you enough gain to record distant noises well enough.

Do some shopping around. Again, though, SM57 is probably going to be the most affordable option. It will also require phantom power, so if you don't have a mixer, you'll require some type of audio interface and possibly (if the interface doesn't offer phantom power) a phantom-power supply.

Rolfie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know about bluetooth, but for what you're trying to accomplish, I'd say you want a condenser mic. Now, something on the cheaper side, like a Shure SM57 might work, but I haven't used it for that type of situation. But either way, a dynamic mic isn't going to offer you enough gain to record distant noises well enough.

Do some shopping around. Again, though, SM57 is probably going to be the most affordable option. It will also require phantom power, so if you don't have a mixer, you'll require some type of audio interface and possibly (if the interface doesn't offer phantom power) a phantom-power supply.
that is so overkill for this purpose lol. SM57 doesn't need phantom power either, it's a dynamic microphone, not a condenser.

edit: either way, you can probably just find a cheap wireless microphone on Amazon, because it will probably at least be better than a phone microphone. i dunno much about Bluetooth either, but there has to be something usable via that route

Last edited by Rolfie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4