ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
If you're brave you can try the experimental 1.0.4 patch

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qyghh1108mq180m/rgc2eng_v104.rar

EDIT> It may not be so *experimental* but I only just got the 1.0.3 patch out earlier today. The ellipses don't bother me so much no matter where or what they are but I have a ton of mail from others that are really, *really* bothered by it so I converted what I could. I think it should all work but if you have any problems, stick with 1.0.3.

Version 1.0.4 - Fixes ellipses in the main dialogue, story, and extra chats.
- Fixed grammatical issues with some of the magazines and manuals.
- Fixed more of the inconsistent descriptions in the RPG

Reactions: Gaming4Ever

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I should probably upload the other older patches to mediafire just to be safe. FileTrip was acting weird for me earlier today and just now. Lots of "Bad Gateway" errors.

Okay, I put the previous one as well in case there is any problem with 1.0.4

1.0.4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qyghh1108mq180m/rgc2eng_v104.rar
1.0.3 is also here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmd463tv2108wcm/rgc2eng_v103.rar

The RPG is shaping up nicely but I really need to sit down and spend quite a few hours/days realigning the text in the Adventure. It's really slow and painful to do that, though.

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Hello! 1st I'd like to congratulate you on your amazing work and say thank you :D Now, I have a problem running the game. I got a hold of all, the patcher, the patch and a clean ROM. I also renamed the file extension of the patch to .xdelta . But when I click on the "Apply Patch" button, simply nothing happens :/ Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

Autism Gamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what happens if you use a old save file.
HNI_0005.JPG

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Mylink5> I actually didn't need to rename any files nor did many I talked to, but regardless, all you should have to do is load up XDelta GUI (1.1.3; the ones I linked. Other versions do not work it seems). Choose the patch for the patch file, select the original rom and POOF, click create or patch or whatever it says and you'll have a net rom image. That's the patches game.

Autism Gamer>Yep. That's what happens. The characters are already named. There is nothing I can do if you use an old file where you named your characters in Japanese. You could try hex editing your save file I suppose. The game still supports Japanese even if I try to block you from creating new names in Japanese (or dissuade by having the default in English)

So, does the 1.0.4 patch work? I haven't tested it deeply yet... If it messes up, let me know.

Reactions: Mylink5

AnotherGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Seems to work OK to me, but it seems that some of the triple perioids in main script are still centered, the prompt for "are you sure you want to play with young Arino" seems to be one such case although I'm not completely sure. Will notify if I see any others, currently beating the games.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Seems to work OK to me, but it seems that some of the triple perioids in main script are still centered, the prompt for "are you sure you want to play with young Arino" seems to be one such case although I'm not completely sure. Will notify if I see any others, currently beating the games.

I changed all the … to ... And that should be okay but there are some parts that do things like ・・・, and that is slightly different in meaning (more of a long pause to gather thoughts) If that is what you mean, what do you think looks good as a replacement? Some windows are full of just that character. Should it just replace it all with a simple ...?

Mylink5> other than what was suggested, this is going to be a silly question but are you extracting the patch from the RaR archive first? There is the patch and a text reader in there. I only mention it because I have had 3 people wrote in the past 2 days where it turned out that was the problem.

XDelta GUI gives me warnings when I run it about security but I just let it blast through and run and...wait a minute, could 3rd party virus checkers and the like stop XDelta GUI from running?

In any case there is also the command line route if you want to do that.

I'd love to simply put up an image of the rom and be done with it but legally I can't do that. Please understand. Good luck.

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, I understand. Thanks for your help everyone. I think what Anothergamer suggested might solve my issue, will try it as soon as I go on my computer. Thanks again!
EDIT: Tried the solution, but still not luck :/ So, can you provide me with a guide on how to patch with command line if you please ? Thank you !
EDIT 1: It's patched :D I just transfered all the files into the Desktop instead of a folder, in a last depserate try and it patched :D Thanks everyone!!!!

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I understand. Thanks for your help everyone. I think what Anothergamer suggested might solve my issue, will try it as soon as I go on my computer. Thanks again!
EDIT: Tried the solution, but still not luck :/ So, can you provide me with a guide on how to patch with command line if you please ? Thank you !
EDIT 1: It's patched :D I just transfered all the files into the Desktop instead of a folder, in a last depserate try and it patched :D Thanks everyone!!!!

Run a find for the file. For whatever reason my patch got placed two folder levels up.

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed all the … to ... And that should be okay but there are some parts that do things like ・・・, and that is slightly different in meaning (more of a long pause to gather thoughts) If that is what you mean, what do you think looks good as a replacement? Some windows are full of just that character. Should it just replace it all with a simple ...?

A simply... probably would be just fine, especially if it's easy for you to do. I don't think that the majority would have issue with it.

And for those people giving you a hard time about this one, tell them to settle down and enjoy the hard work you've done. :)

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work! I am amazed at the overall quality of the translation and the amount of hard work that went into it. Just a few minor issues I found.

At the top, it says "Wizman Manual", while elsewhere, the game's name is written as "Wiz-Man".
dPvZ5Te.jpg

Not sure why these are happening.
pgGa8OC.jpg
YtiwTNN.jpg

Is this just a different way of spelling "What?" or is it a typo?
A9FmutM.jpg

Missing a space before the "2000".
X7gR7dc.jpg

Also, I noticed that Mitekiken Kung Fu is rather inconsistent. I have seen "Kung Fu", "Kung-Fu" and "KungFu" in various places.

EDIT: Regarding the second issue, it seems that different characters are shown every time it happens. Very strange.
UG4vdoo.jpg

Reactions: AndrewRoks1998

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why these are happening.

EDIT: Regarding the second issue, it seems that different characters are shown every time it happens. Very strange.
That means it's very likely a string terminator character is missing, so it's reading the RAM as letters.
A simple fix for a potentially nasty problem.

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That means it's very likely a string terminator character is missing, so it's reading the RAM as letters.
A simple fix for a potentially nasty problem.

That would make sense. I'll have to pay attention to see if I notice it in any other places in addition to those two.

EDIT: Found two more typos in the Demon Returns manual, and another missing control character.

Ft1Mkv4.jpg

ASeiQlO.jpg

2fDwEDN.jpg

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
XDelta GUI gives me warnings when I run it about security but I just let it blast through and run and...wait a minute, could 3rd party virus checkers and the like stop XDelta GUI from running?
Yeah. Every time I go to run XDelta GUI on my laptop, my antivirus deletes it because it ran up a false positive. I have to use Xdelta GUI on my roommate's computer now.

But if you're talking something else...maybe. I dunno what else could stop it, though.

Well, at least that's better than what it used to be... Not perfect, but at least it's better.

And hey, it makes it look like your character's saying "Of course I did, G!"

Seriously? What's up with the letter G that it keeps showing up?

UG4vdoo.jpg
How weird! There used to be DIFFERENT issues there!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
bdr9> what cart are you using?

That odd character at the end of some of the choices is weird. It actually doesn't show up for me on my DSTwo but I've seen others users reporting something similar. I think it is an issue with the original conversion script but Nagato wrote that. I have the source code but is need to analyze it. What I did to get around some of the issues is add extra spaces at the end of the choice (which I think pushes the garbage characters out of the visible range). I'll see what I can do. I have seen this for other multiple choice selections. They are actually handled differently from the rest of the text in the conversation.

Way back at the beginning I remember XVirus had a converter but you had to do extra steps just to handle the conversation choices. One was encoded in sjis and the other in Unicode.

For any text issues, I can take a look at it. For graphics like the "Wizman" graphic at the top, I'll have to leave the gfx guys to do that as it is a lot harder to change and put back into the game.

Oh, and "Whoat!" Is intentional. "Whhhhooooaaaat?!?!!"

Kung Fu should be an easy fix but I'll have to see just how many cases of it are in the game first.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm aware that is the font used in the first game, but I am the only one that dislikes the fact the m looks like a n, and my brain always gets a headache? Even the M and W don't look that great.

Surely we could make those letters look better? Simply extend the the width of m by 1 pixel.

Anyway, off to patch the rom!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +1