ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The designs are perfect save for the dollar sign (it can be easily confused with the already used letter S) and the star (it definitely could be better, but I understand where you're coming from since the space is too small).

About the letters I know Xseed were the ones who replaced those with ABCD..QRST letters in that order, but that's an area that could use improvement have we figured out the hidden message behind that specific (definitively not random) letter sequence and a way to transcribe it in English without repeating letters somehow.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
What about that sequence of kana? (イロハニホヘトチリスルウヲウカヨタレンシ... I know, I fail at katakana)
Does it hold any significance? Any meaning?
Because replacing it with ABCDE... bugs me for some unfathomable reason.
That's how it was in Retro Game Challenge, though.

It does hold significance. If you go into the doors in a specific order, certain things happen. For example, your health could be restored or you could get a power-up.

The order in Japanese is the order of Kana (which, as far as I understand, is kind of like "KA KI KU KE KO" and all that)...which, for the localization, was changed to the order of the alphabet so people who don't speak Japanese would understand the order easier.

In other news, I have had a glorious graphical catastrophe with the Triotos DX title image. I'm actually not sure how to fix this. There isn't any OAM table for the color overlay to work with. I'm not sure how it is taking the B&W source and making the color magic happen. Anyone have any ideas? In any case, I wanted to share the "glory" before bed. It looks like that headache I had this morning.
Have you tried the .bin files with ARM in the name? Could be more than just pointers in there. I've heard of cases where people have found in-game text in ARM7.BIN.

Reactions: Pix3l

Pix3l

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How about a crown? (I made 2 versions)

9wV7FbG.png

Is a recurring image in this game, and also in the previous, like the challenges letter, Demon Arino's crown and the secret gold king bonus in the previous Haggleman games.

gs_room_soft_arino.NCER_0.png
lzHBTRNzqmrnxix2yzqmqT4lo1_400.jpg

AnotherGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
EDIT: I think reverse-alphabetical is the only special order. I can't find anything else with door orders on Google, and instant power-up is triggered by a cheat code.

Entering them in the alphabetical order will change all the doors in the level to the same color, allowing you to flip all of them at the same time by entering any one of them until they become desynchronized: this also allows you to reveal the level boss early, although I'm not sure if he needs to be hidden behind one of the doors visible on the screen for it to work.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Entering them in the alphabetical order will change all the doors in the level to the same color, allowing you to flip all of them at the same time by entering any one of them until they become desynchronized: this also allows you to reveal the level boss early, although I'm not sure if he needs to be hidden behind one of the doors visible on the screen for it to work.
:O New speedrun strats! :O
Yes, the door containing the boss has to be at least 1 pixel onscreen. But back on topic now.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I've just replayed the haggleman challenges yesterday, its just all doors on screen that will turn the same color, but otherwise, you're right.
I'm also somewhat unsure if any not onscreen doors even move when you enter a door.

i'm getting excited since this project is slowly nearing its end stage

Reactions: Nightwish and Pix3l

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I'm dropping in to say I'm still testing the game from beginning to end, trying to pick up all of the dialogue in the game that runs over the border or has spelling errors or missing punctuation (lots of that last case) but everything is falling into place.

Also, I fixed the initial name entry screen to default to English (Roman) characters.

I did keep a few copies of the ROM image because I will need to test the Adventure Game(s) with the new background images...that reminds me, I missed one of the BG files:

The tiny blue text on the white tag on the table says "Reception" and the background on the wall is... a bug splat at that size. "CX Industries" should be fine given the context.

km_bg_scene01.cnscr.png

Oh, by the way I took a sneak peek at that "TV Game Exam" I threatened to translate after all of this. Well, I found where the text was stored but the whole game is just a series of overlay files and everything is embedded in them; I can't extract graphics at all unless I'm missing something. There isn't nearly as much text to do as I thought but without being able to get at the graphics for titles and menus I don't know how useful doing the rest of the text would be.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I found where the text was stored but the whole game is just a series of overlay files and everything is embedded in them; I can't extract graphics at all unless I'm missing something. There isn't nearly as much text to do as I thought but without being able to get at the graphics for titles and menus I don't know how useful doing the rest of the text would be.

See if there is an alternate font somewhere
See if editing the text with 1-byte half-width katakana characters does display katakana in-game indeed (but it could also cause it to crash or not behave: a risky experiment in a nutshell so do it on a backup)

If the game does both of the above, you could do the "MTE trick" (aka Multi-tile encoding or whatever it's called):
You draw popular letter combinations to replace a single katakana character in the font (if there's enough space in the tile to draw more than one letter), say (ll) / ('s) / ('t) ... instead of (ア) / (イ) / (ウ) ...
Then you could just use those characters or their corresponding hex code.. to type those two-letter English combinations as one.

I feel this would, besides saving you valuable text space, give a more authentic feel to the game. It was used in Crystalis (NES) and some 8-bit Megaman games, among other things. But somehow I think you are already using this trick :P

Pix3l

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here the new one:
km_bg_scene01.cnscr.png

I'm dropping in to say I'm still testing the game from beginning to end, trying to pick up all of the dialogue in the game that runs over the border or has spelling errors or missing punctuation (lots of that last case) but everything is falling into place.

Also, I fixed the initial name entry screen to default to English (Roman) characters.

I did keep a few copies of the ROM image because I will need to test the Adventure Game(s) with the new background images...that reminds me, I missed one of the BG files:

The tiny blue text on the white tag on the table says "Reception" and the background on the wall is... a bug splat at that size. "CX Industries" should be fine given the context.

km_bg_scene01.cnscr.png

Oh, by the way I took a sneak peek at that "TV Game Exam" I threatened to translate after all of this. Well, I found where the text was stored but the whole game is just a series of overlay files and everything is embedded in them; I can't extract graphics at all unless I'm missing something. There isn't nearly as much text to do as I thought but without being able to get at the graphics for titles and menus I don't know how useful doing the rest of the text would be.

Reactions: richterw

richterw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hehe ive been refreshing this thread constantly during the past week, following the progress, i hope we can see a patch soon!! i just finished retro game challenge 1 on NDS for the second time too, it was fun!

Same here, friend. GameCenterCX / RetroGameChallenge have infinite replay value.

Taik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Been following this thread since the beginning, checking everyday and it's really great to see the progress so often.
Retro Game Challenge was a huge surprise for me when I tried it years ago since I expected the usual shovelware collection of old games and instead got one of my favorite game ever (didn't know it was based on GameCenterCX, didn't even know that existed)

Anyway it's awesome so see this project so close to completion and I'm really dying to go play the sequel, thanks a lot everyone involved ! :wub:

Reactions: Nightwish and Pix3l

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I'm testing it, hold on. I found a guide for the Koume version for all the codes:

EDIT> Okay, the life code works, though イロハ is "ABC" with the new tiles, so recovery is "CBA". Was is DBC in the first one? I don't actually mind if it is CBA because why not, this is a different version (special edition) of the game but I'd need to make sure any references to a code don't specifically say "D C B" (I don't recall seeing anything about the specific door titles in the magazines or conversation files...)

Oh, for everyone's reference, the bunch of us working on graphics, testing and other hackery fun have our own little private discussion area where we discuss the nitty gritty.

Most of the Adventure game background graphics are in the game now, I believe.

The Magazine and Manual artwork is still in progress and I'm testing the game from beginning to end to iron out the text translations since there were many spots that ran over the borders, etc.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, that makes sense.

All right, I didn't expect to blast through most of the game in one day fixing text errors but that is going fine. I'm up to the Triotos challenges now and may actually finish the rest of the whole game by the end of the day. I'm up to the Super Demon Returns challenges now. Who knows, I might finish the whole game today. I'm at the Extra Challenges beyond the Super Demon Returns challenges. I finished the main game.

I did notice parts that still need translated graphics along the way and other things that were fine but I wanted to share them since I overload this thread with the same game sometimes, like the one I was working on at the moment.

GunDuel is fine in itself; nothing else to do, but there is a general "Now Playing" image on the bottom screen that sometimes appears. That happens with all the games, though.
gunduel.png

Mutekiken Kung Fu doesn't have a translated title yet, but I think any random background chinese characters may be fine as is since it lends itself to the feel of the game anyway:
kungfutitle.png

The secret Mutekiken arts may require translation but much like Fist of the North Star, it is going to be a mess trying to put these bizarre titles in English:
mutekikenart.png

And even though most of the Adventure game backgrounds are in the game now (hooray!), I did notice a few small ones that still need to be done:
not done yet.png

That's it for now. Once I get through the main dialogue I need to go back and pick apart the alignment, spelling, etc. of the Adventure games (and then the RPG later; some of the last parts still have not been properly tested)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==