G6 users can now use the newest Moonshell!

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Firon, Dec 29, 2006.

Dec 29, 2006
  1. Firon
    OP

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    G6 users can now use Moonshell 1.6b4.
    Original thread: http://gbatmw.net/index.php?topic=2491.msg30915#msg30915

2. MajinGohan

Member MajinGohan GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Pretty neat, but I´m happy with the MediaExtend version. Or is this vastly superior to it?

3. Firon
    OP

United States
    Vastly superior.
    Among other things, DPGs play WAY faster now. Namely, 24fps playback is possible now (with 256x144 videos anyway). And the audio is better quality with DPGs too, for new encodes.

There's a lot of other fixes and improvements as well. [​IMG]

4. MajinGohan

Member MajinGohan GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Alright, I´ll try it out [​IMG] .

5. Solver

Newcomer Solver Member

United States
    So how does one install this? It asked for a drive, should that be the drive for the G6? I said my C: drive which created a bunch of files in the root and then also a "shell" subdir. I noticed that I had a "shell" dir on the root of my G6. So I guess I should specify the G6 drive, and de-select all of the other versions (M3, etc) and then manually copy _BOOT_MP.nds there. Should it go on the root? Or in the directory where the other NDS files are? Should I delete the existing "shell" directory contents first? How can I put this on the menu (like MediaExtend is)? Sorry for so many questions, but it seems very unclear what needs to be done. Thanks a lot!

6. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    This sounds pretty rad, I'll try to get it going later on. Thanks for the update.

7. Firon
    OP

United States
    Solver: you can install it to any drive, it doesn't really matter in the end. Just copy the shell folder that's created to your G6 (it must be placed in the root), and copy the patched _BOOT_MP_DLDI.nds to the root of your G6.
    You can delete the existing shell folder if you want, I'm not really sure it matters.
    It's not possible to put it in the menu, you have to launch it like a game. So, you can rename the NDS in such a way that it shows on the top of the games list. The NDS name doesn't matter at all.

8. js18

Newcomer js18 Member

Anyone get this to work?

9. Deaddy

Canada
    What's the recommended tool for encoding DPGs? I've been using BatchDPG v1.0. Advice on ideal configuration settings would be great also.

10. Firon
    OP

United States
    The newest BatchDPG has problems right now, so use dpgenc and set it to the high quality profile.

11. Deaddy

Canada
  12. sambobuk

Newcomer sambobuk Member

New Zealand
    Hmm...well I did all of this, and I copied the NDS file to the ROOT of my G6, with the shell folder also in the ROOT of my G6. Of course, the NDS file is not showing up on the game selection screen because it's not in the NDS folder, but is that right or have I done something wrong...:S because I often do things wrong with this kind of thing...

Or am I supposed to boot it from MyCard?

Also, I selected that I had an M3 SD on the installation program...so is that gonna screw it up? sorry, it's just I often do things wrong lol!

EDIT: Tried all of these and IT WORKS!!! WOOT!!!! So try all of those things and you should be good to go!

EDIT EDIT: The download link is wrong, just go to the directory of the download link and there's a whole list of files there

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I'm going to try this now: http://dl.qj.net/MPEG-4-AAC-plugin-for-Moo...11828/catid/220 VERY EXCITING!!!

13. Deaddy

Canada
    Well when I used another moonshell for g6 you had to boot it from the mycard section, so give that a try.

14. Deaddy

Canada
    Okay well I ran the setup.exe that comes with the moonshell and it generated 14 different nds files on my harddrive. What I'm wondering is how these come into play if the other 3 files (g6fl.dldi, dlditool.exe, and _BOOT_MP_DLDI.nds) are used to make the new moonshell. What do I do with the nds files that setup.exe generated? Thanks. I could use your premade version but I wanted to try making my own.

EDIT: Ah stupid me, the point of the setup.exe is to get the shell folder, right? I missed that.

EDIT 2: I used to use Moonshell 1.3 for G6 and it worked fine, now when I run it it goes to 2 white screens. I just tried the pre-made one linked to in the first post and it does the same thing, 2 white screens. So then I tried my newly encoded 24fps 256kbit dpg in mediaplay extend and it played flawlessly. I guess that framerate issue is not an advantage moonshell has over mediaplay extend afterall. Update I just realized I was using the old mediaplay extend to do that, not the 4.6C version of mediaplay extend, I'll test that right now. Result: 4.6c media extend plays 24fps 256kbit just fine.

I'm using loader 4.6A maybe that's causing problems launching moonshell. I'll update to 4.6C and try again. Update I tried it with 4.6C, neither moonshells worked (again).

15. Deaddy

Canada
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I downloaded the latest DPGEnc I could find, 1.1 beta 4, and I go to options and there are many settings. The way you referred to high quality profile I was wondering if I'm missing some kind of preset that takes care of everything or if I just have to figure out each setting. thanks for your help.

16. manlyputter

Newcomer manlyputter Newbie

Canada
    To everyone thats having trouble, try running the nds file with the "add header" option in the file menu. You can't just straight select the "Run" option.

17. js18

Newcomer js18 Member

Thank you! [​IMG] Now it works!

18. Deaddy

Canada
    Whoa, worked right away. Thanks man, never thought of trying that. [​IMG]

by the way, my 24fps 320kbit dpg does play back better in this moonshell 1.6 than the latest mediaplay extend, rad.

19. Solver

Newcomer Solver Member

United States
    Thanks, Firon! And thanks to everyone else. I'll give it a try. The only part I'm unclear about is why _BOOT_MP_DLDI.nds needs to be in the root. It seems it should go in the NDS directory. If not, then I guess I run it via MyCard. I don't know anything about this "add header" function, is that something I do when I move the file onto the G6 or when I run it (via MyCard)?

20. Deaddy

Canada
    Solver, you choose add header when you launch the file from My Card.

Hey I think I've noticed that Moonshell won't boot if you have no game card in slot 1, anyone else noticed this or am I wrong?