Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Everything You Need to Know (Includes OTPHelper Now)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Followed the guide to the letter. SafeA9LHInstaller keeps spitting out an error that OTP.bin doesn't exist or is the wrong size. I've dumped it twice and it keeps coming up with that error. My PC says that the file is 256 bytes.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have a N3DS with A9LH successfully installed.

To my surprise, using an installed cia launcher from the home menu, HBL still hangs on a yellow screen maybe 1 out of 5 times. Is that normal? I would assume A9LH would take care of those problems.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DS with A9LH successfully installed.

To my surprise, using an installed cia launcher from the home menu, HBL still hangs on a yellow screen maybe 1 out of 5 times. Is that normal? I would assume A9LH would take care of those problems.
Sounds like bad luck. My boot rate is like 9/10. And yes it is normal. A9lh doesn't influence the boot rate of the homebrew launcher in any way.

WiteWulf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya, wanted to chime in and say thanks to plailect for a very clear and easy to follow guide.It certainly takes a long time to work through but it's worth it in the end.

Reactions: BloodRose

Magic Kaito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't get into emuNAND holding Y, @Plailect. Do you have any idea what I need to do or can I start over from minipasta or restore sysNAND? Arm9 installed successfully, I opened Decrypt9 pressing X, Cakes worked after I replaced the folder like you told me, and I was able able to restore emuNANd_original.bin, but now I can't proceed any further now which is troublesome. I've tried replacing the emuNAND files but it didn't work.

Last edited by Magic Kaito,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The guide says if you have a CFW go to part 4, but part 4 only mention redNAND.
Do I must have a redNAND to follow the guide or does it work with emuNAND?

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
@Plailect Hey there. I used your guide to successfully downgrade an O3DS and a N3DS XL before you updated it to use RedNAND and I checked Part 5 to check one thing regarding AuReinand payloads and I saw that there is a new slot file, slot0x1BKeyX.bin that wasn't there before.

What is that one for? Just wanted to know if I should add it to the three others I have or if it is related to RedNAND. BTW, my nand backups are 1.24 GB, so rednand doesn't seem to be of use to me if I already have emunand, unless its different reading algorithm helps in any discernable way.

Thanks for the guide! Great work!

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a9lh up and running on 2/5 O3DSes in my house thanks to this guide. However, there are a few things that came to mind that could make the guide better.

1. Where does the Unbrick FW 2.1 EmuNAND feature of OTPHelper come into play? I know that it's a part of the process that is specific to the N3DS, but I see no mention of it anywhere in the guide. That omission is part of what's preventing me from attempting to install on the 2 N3DSes in the house.

2. There should be lists of which files must be kept and which can be safely deleted after completing Part 5. Also, the Homebrew Starter Kit comes with a lot of superfluous apps that aren't vital to the a9lh installation. Perhaps you could limit the files in the zip to only include those necessary for the purposes of the guide? An idea that could take it a step further would be to used ZIP23DSFX to create 2 self-extracting archives with only the needed files. The first archive would contain the needed files for parts 1-3 and also contain the second archive with the files for parts 3-5 as the starter.bin for EmuNAND9.

Last edited by zhdarkstar,

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a9lh up and running on 2/5 O3DSes in my house thanks to this guide. However, there are a few things that came to mind that could make the guide better.

1. Where does the Unbrick FW 2.1 EmuNAND feature of OTPHelper come into play? I know that it's a part of the process that is specific to the N3DS, but I see no mention of it anywhere in the guide. That omission is part of what's preventing me from attempting to install on the 2 N3DSes in the house.

2. There should be lists of which files must be kept and which can be safely deleted after completing Part 5. Also, the Homebrew Starter Kit comes with a lot of superfluous apps that aren't vital to the a9lh installation. Perhaps you could limit the files in the zip to only include those necessary for the purposes of the guide? An idea that could take it a step further would be to used ZIP23DSFX to create 2 self-extracting archives with only the needed files. The first archive would contain the needed files for parts 1-3 and also contain the second archive with the files for parts 3-5 as the starter.bin for EmuNAND9.
1. One Click Setup does it for you.
2. There isn't a definite list of files that should or shouldn't be kept, but there is a picture right at the end of part 5 that shows everything you need in your sd card and everything else can be removed. I don't see a part in limiting the amount of apps to only the ones you need. It seems like a waste of time for @Plailect and while they aren't vital to the a9lh installation, they may be nice to have later on.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. One Click Setup does it for you.
2. There isn't a definite list of files that should or shouldn't be kept, but there is a picture right at the end of part 5 that shows everything you need in your sd card and everything else can be removed. I don't see a part in limiting the amount of apps to only the ones you need. It seems like a waste of time for @Plailect and while they aren't vital to the a9lh installation, they may be nice to have later on.

1. Didn't know that.
2. If you're going to make the case that it'd be nice to have them anyways, then the guide should instruct us to include the starter.bin that comes with EmuNAND9. It includes a far better UI than the standard HBL and has even more potentially useful apps.

I only made the argument for keeping the copied over files to a minimum for the sake of confusion prevention. A smaller amount of files means less chance that the user gets confused about what an unmentioned file does, which lessens the likelihood of that confusion leading to user error and irreparable damage to the 3ds.

I'm all for the proliferation of homebrew and such. I just would rather only have the tools and parts needed for the job be included in the guide. It's like when you buy a piece of DIY furniture. If you receive more pieces than what are needed, then you'll second guess yourself about whether or not you put everything together properly. While the tools have come a long way in reducing the risk involved with the installation, we're still doing things that have the potential for bricking. A little focus on refining the toolset given out will go a long way to keeping the attention on the task at hand and following it to the letter. But that's just my opinion.

Side note, I think that a little more information should be given about how to remove TWL modification in the guide and when exactly they should be removed. The three main types that have existed during the 3DS lifecycle are Sudokuhax as DS Connection Settings, DS whitelist, and patched TWL_FIRM.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Didn't know that.
2. If you're going to make the case that it'd be nice to have them anyways, then the guide should instruct us to include the starter.bin that comes with EmuNAND9. It includes a far better UI than the standard HBL and has even more potentially useful apps.

I only made the argument for keeping the copied over files to a minimum for the sake of confusion prevention. A smaller amount of files means less chance that the user gets confused about what an unmentioned file does, which lessens the likelihood of that confusion leading to user error and irreparable damage to the 3ds.

I'm all for the proliferation of homebrew and such. I just would rather only have the tools and parts needed for the job be included in the guide. It's like when you buy a piece of DIY furniture. If you receive more pieces than what are needed, then you'll second guess yourself about whether or not you put everything together properly. While the tools have come a long way in reducing the risk involved with the installation, we're still doing things that have the potential for bricking. A little focus on refining the toolset given out will go a long way to keeping the attention on the task at hand and following it to the letter. But that's just my opinion.

Side note, I think that a little more information should be given about how to remove TWL modification in the guide and when exactly they should be removed. The three main types that have existed during the 3DS lifecycle are Sudokuhax as DS Connection Settings, DS whitelist, and patched TWL_FIRM.
I actually prefer Smea's homebrew menu layout better, but to each his own. Also all the homebrew apps would never actually cause a brick because it's all in userland. Even the ones getting arm9 access check for certain things before attempting something dangerous (and smea's starter pack contains nothing dangerous). So at most, user error would cause a crash if you're just looking at the starter pack side of things. Not trying to fight though :P;)

vengfulr3ap3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I wanted to stop by and show my appreciation for your guide. Very clean, very concise and easy to follow. I was a bit daunted at first since I was already on emunand and such, but after reading through the guide and then going back to start the process it was incredibly easy. So thank you!

I do have a question for you though, if you don't mind my asking in this picture https://camo.githubusercontent.com/...92e696d6775722e636f6d2f4566565630704d2e706e67 What theme are you using and how did you get the storage space pie thing beside the bar in nautilus (files)?

Magic Kaito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to give up on CakesFW for arms, format everything and start over for AuReiNAND. Everything worked on the first try this time with no hiccups. I still don't know what I did wrong with CakesFW but whatever, I'm happy everything is working now. Thank you for the excellent guide, @Plailect.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually prefer Smea's homebrew menu layout better, but to each his own. Also all the homebrew apps would never actually cause a brick because it's all in userland. Even the ones getting arm9 access check for certain things before attempting something dangerous (and smea's starter pack contains nothing dangerous). So at most, user error would cause a crash if you're just looking at the starter pack side of things. Not trying to fight though :P;)

It's all good. I was just thinking of ways to minimize the cleanup process.

However, I do think that the step about TWL modification removal could be expounded upon for the sake of error prevention. Nothing too expansive, just a set of substeps that go "If you have X installed, do Y to remove it" for each of the three major TWL mods (Sudokuhax/Whitelist/TWL_FIRM) that have been around.

Reactions: Just Passing By

kkolat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes..i know...but from decrypt9 launched from aureinand Arm9loaderhax.bin? If aureinand blocks firm update could not be a problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    HUB
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    And the switch 3 Router
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (every one of those fitting after network-, and all play part in the OSI networking layer model)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Google switch nsp and you will see,it, that site
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Aww how cool that site is Nintendo switch to me :D
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (de-URLing the URL 🤣)
    Switch 2 U
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (or do we call them URIs now?)
  • Quincy @ Quincy: