Homebrew FretFury

kusohead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
penguindefender said:
In a way, we sort-of are bound to 8-bit pictures. I've noticed that the sprites I have drawn thus far have a poorer quality on the DS than what they look like on my PC. The DS just can't support the number of colors that I use. I also want you to know that paint is not a bad program at all. I have drawn every single sprite so far in paint and paint alone (excluding the multiplier. I used paint.net to do some of the shading
smile.gif
) . It is simple to use and perfect for small artwork. Please stop giving it a bad name. It is not bad at all if you know how to use it.

oh no no no,u ve mis-understood me. I never meant paint is a bad program at all, it is indeed a pretty simple yet convinience program for little art work like spriting etc. I used to use it alot when I used to do works that associates subtle pixel art etc.

Though you got to admitt that paint in this case (box art, big stuffs that requires representable appearance) is not the best program to use, anyway who cares about the box

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
penguindefender said:
@kusohead
In a way, we sort-of are bound to 8-bit pictures. I've noticed that the sprites I have drawn thus far have a poorer quality on the DS than what they look like on my PC. The DS just can't support the number of colors that I use. I also want you to know that paint is not a bad program at all. I have drawn every single sprite so far in paint and paint alone (excluding the multiplier. I used paint.net to do some of the shading
smile.gif
) . It is simple to use and perfect for small artwork. Please stop giving it a bad name. It is not bad at all if you know how to use it.

@wazmo
The demo is looking great! I don't mind telling me, how did you get the notes to flow? Are they random, is there a chart hidden somewhere, or do they just repeat a certain pattern? I would really like to know. Thanks.

@lostsoul5673
I guess a credit screen would be best. That way we won't have to cram everyone's name on the title screen
laugh.gif
. I will make a revised title screen and the other menu components now. I will also make a fretboard background.

EDIT: It is hard to believe that no one has posted since I last did, but here goes. I didn't work on any of the menu yet (besides the already drawn title screen), but what I did do is pretty cool.
smile.gif
I completely revamped all of the in-game topscreen graphics, and came up with a cool new idea. I made two different fretboards for the game (one is standard black, the other is my rabbit logo
smile.gif
). I also gave all the the top screen sprites (gems and all button sprites) neat new shading effects to match the fretboard. As always there is a fake screen shot to you all what it could look like in the game.

Now for my new idea for the game. I'm sure this won't be implemented until later, but I let you know what I'm thinking. In the folder where .txt charts stored, there could also be a .bmp stored there too. The game could look for that file when it starts up and load it as the fretboard. Cool huh? Anyway, if wazmo puts this in I'll will make a tutorial to show everyone how to shade the boards the way I did.

@wazmo
Man, I got cool fretboard, idea, it's like the rabbit thing is on it's side, it looks like a can it me so here's how it would look like a cool fretboard.
It would roll like a can. XD But that would be hard so don't worry about it.

@wazmo: I thought you said you got the string to move, I did I mishear?

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I stopped writing before I was done. My PC was being very slow, so I had to reboot.
laugh.gif

@wazmo
I will send you all of these sprites and a revised title screen without our names tomorrow. Right now I need to go to bed.
Oh, one last thing. I spaced the frets on the board apart 64 pixels each. That should make it easy for you to loop, so that it looks like it is moving. Also there should be a variable in the chart.txt file that determines how fast the gems move toward you. The same variable could determine the speed of the fretboard too. That way the gems look like they are stuck to the moving fretboard as opposed to just gliding over the stationary one.

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again! I really like that you all enjoy my work. I just want this game to look as good as it is going to play! Not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I have always wanted someone to use the bowing smiley on in regards to me. That would make me feel appreciated more.
wink.gif

Tomorrow will be the last day until Monday afternoon that I can really work on this (I have to go back to work for the weekend
frown.gif
)

I'll check in everyday though to see how things are moving. If I have time I will make some more sprites, too!

Dizwix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey guys,I was thinking.(Yes it's possible^^)
FretFury is almost a real game,so why not translate it in Many languages.I think I can do it for French.
Penguin Defender:I think,instead of take a picture,have different colors for the fretboard,like Red,Blue...

wazmo

Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I thought you said you got the string to move, I did I mishear?

i will do that i just sort of.........forgot
unsure.gif

QUOTEIf you don't mind telling me, how did you get the notes to flow?

well thats hard to explain. basicly its based on fps time. there are 60 frames per second and i tell the games to play a certain note after so many frames have passed. in the next demo i hope to use .txts and that the notes wont loop anymore and maybe (if were lucky) a demo song. the new fretboard and everything is excellent I can't wait to use them. the biggest problem im seeming to have right now is destroying the notes when there strummed. but i will be able to figurre it out.
yaynds.gif
nds.gif
yaynds.gif

oh and Penguin defender
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Mohammad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, if you guys have any (annoying) little task that you don't want to do, you got a new laky lol. Not sure how I can help but if I can I will
wink.gif

ninja_07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Could you allow us to use buttons for it like X=green?

Or could someone adapt the GH:OT code to let us do it here?
I'm sure Narin would put it into the cheat.dat

Moonlite

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how are we going to make HO/PO in txt files is there going to be a symbol we put after the letter or are we going to change the color of the letter?

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, wazmo, if you don't wish to make a button hack, you could always have someone else that is good at programming and have them make the button hack version. Just give the source out to that one trusted person.

Or just change the code like in three minute, your choice.

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wazmo
I know what you are talking about in regards to the note flow. You call them frames, but in GameMaker, they call them steps. Hopefully you can get txts to work, because stepping out every note in a song would take days.
laugh.gif
Also, will custom fretboards be possible? That would be really cool to have that level of customization in a homebrew game. Like I said before, you could just make the game look for the picture file on the root of the card or something like that. It should be possible.

As for destroying the notes, doesn't the code you are using have a basic command to destroy an object? It would only make sense that it would have one. You could just make it so that a note gets destroyed if the right fret is pressed, the note is touching the fret, and the guitar has been strummed. Otherwise the note could go right passed the fret and hit an invisible object. Upon hitting that object the game could destroy the note and register it as a miss.

Oh and you deserve some of these, too!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

@kusohead
Thank you, but I already have that font.
smile.gif
To do my letters, I type out what I want them to say, and then I draw all of the coloring and shading effects on each letter.

@mysterio123
As I have said many times before, we do not plan on using any ripped sprites at all. It is good that you are trying to help, but we don't want to gain any unwanted attention from the makers of GH. Using ripped sprites would most definitely gain us that attention. Don't give up though! I'm sure you could help us in some other way.

wazmo

Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
As for destroying the notes, doesn't the code you are using have a basic command to destroy an object? It would only make sense that it would have one. You could just make it so that a note gets destroyed if the right fret is pressed, the note is touching the fret, and the guitar has been strummed. Otherwise the note could go right passed the fret and hit an invisible object. Upon hitting that object the game could destroy the note and register it as a miss.

actually thats exactly what im doing but the problem that im having is getting the collision. but i think ive figured it out.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1