Freebird - Switch Clock Speed Control Sysmodule

This is a sysmodule/service for Atmosphere and ReiNX that uses IPC's to communicate with its companion NRO, Freeset. This allows you to use any clock speed I've found on the Switch. The only restriction I have put in place is that you must be plugged into an official charger or docked if you are crazy enough to want to use the highest two GPU clock speeds. I am leaving it completely up to you to choose what clock speeds you want to use. Be careful.

2019070911351400-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

Intructions:
  • Atmosphere: Copy over the contents of the zip and reboot your system to load the module. Open Freeset and use that to send over the clock speeds you want.
  • ReiNX: Create a folder in your ReiNX folder named titles if there isn't one. Copy the titles folder from the atmosphere folder to ReiNX/titles. Open "010000000000C235" and move the boot2.flag to the same directory as the exefs.nsp file. Reboot and freebird should now be working on ReiNX.

X turns freebird's clock setting feature on and off. Remember to turn this off before putting your system to sleep. I'm working on it™, but it will cause and require you to fully shutdown and restart your Switch if accidentally left on. When on, freebird will check and set the clocks if they don't match what you choose. When turned off, your clock speeds will be reset and no longer forced.

A sends over the clock speeds shown/chosen from the menu. Up and down change the currently selected option, left and right change speed.

If I missed anything, don't be afraid to ask. I'm open to suggestions too.

I'd like to thank @taggen86, @nabelo, @mathew77, @vanraz86, and @Kirby567fan for taking the chances and testing it. Thanks guys!

Download link: https://gbatemp.net/download/freebird.35566/

Last edited by JK_,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, though I don't plan on overclocking the system atm since there wouldn't be any drastic differences for the majority of games.

Perhaps if it was needed to keep a constant framerate for a game like how it was with BOTW on the Wii U, but even then I doubt Nintendo will ever release something like that again with those issues.

Reactions: Kubez

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, though I don't plan on overclocking the system atm since there wouldn't be any drastic differences for the majority of games.

Perhaps if it was needed to keep a constant framerate for a game like how it was with BOTW on the Wii U, but even then I doubt Nintendo will ever release something like that again with those issues.
It's not just for overclocking, it can downclock too. I've found a few games that actually run fine with a slight downclock, saving some battery life. There are also quite a few games where the bump in speed makes a decent impact on dynamic resolution. Doom for example. Everything is much sharper. Tales of Vesperia also seemed to stutter less to me, but I don't want to say for sure. It could've just been my imagination.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the heavyrender games that you can test, its Firewatch. "Spoiler Alert?"....

When reaching for the first time the lake where the drunk girls are, the bushes that you need to cross lag the system every time like hell. due the massive render i guess of the details.

taggen86

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As long as the game is GPU bound, I would not be surprised if GPU overclocking would give you a solid 30 fps in firewatch (unlike the 20ish frame rate we have now). The lower the frame rate and the lower the resolution (if dynamic res scaling is used), the higher the benefit from overclocking. I am still mind blown by the high resolution in Wolfenstein that GPU overclocking provides.

One of the heavyrender games that you can test, its Firewatch. "Spoiler Alert?"....

When reaching for the first time the lake where the drunk girls are, the bushes that you need to cross lag the system every time like hell. due the massive render i guess of the details.

Last edited by taggen86,
Reactions: Amost

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Switch won't be able to wake up and you'll need to hold the power button down and reboot. It was the one thing holding me back from releasing sooner. I'm not going to pretend it's not a problem, and I want everyone to be aware of it. That's why I consider this more of a WIP.

@Mat37 Atmosphere only at the moment.

Last edited by JK_,

oBluEx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very cool! Will grab this now and test out the Doom 3 NSP. Only game atm I use that needs an Overclock, so I'm hoping this will keep a steady 30 fps.

D

Deleted User

cool, I really want that but im a SX OS user and SX OS dont allow sysmodules

chuck67

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the great app JK, but i wonder why sometimes games wont boot after changing speeds? mario odyssey, and fighterz both give me black screens when booting, but i didnt have this problem with just the plugin version. im on 5.1.0 using nsp method to launch the hbmenu using full ram. thanks again the difference is pretty big, even just browsing menus. :D thanks!

Reactions: Kubez

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Your Switch won't be able to wake up and you'll need to hold the power button down and reboot. It was the one thing holding me back from releasing sooner. I'm not going to pretend it's not a problem, and I want everyone to be aware of it. That's why I consider this more of a WIP.

@Mat37 Atmosphere only at the moment.

are you eager to solve this problem? it's the biggest throwback of your hard work.

JK_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the great app JK, but i wonder why sometimes games wont boot after changing speeds? mario odyssey, and fighterz both give me black screens when booting, but i didnt have this problem with just the plugin version. im on 5.1.0 using nsp method to launch the hbmenu using full ram. thanks again the difference is pretty big, even just browsing menus. :D thanks!
Are you overclocking the CPU too? That's probably why. CPU overclocking doesn't play nice with much at all, really. Launching games with it almost always fails like that. I guess a solution would be to have a list of title id's and only have it kick on when they're running.

Reactions: chuck67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over