WIP Freebird - Switch Clock Speed Control Sysmodule

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by JK_, Feb 5, 2019.

Front-page WIP
    This is a sysmodule/service for Atmosphere and ReiNX that uses IPC's to communicate with its companion NRO, Freeset. This allows you to use any clock speed I've found on the Switch. The only restriction I have put in place is that you must be plugged into an official charger or docked if you are crazy enough to want to use the highest two GPU clock speeds. I am leaving it completely up to you to choose what clock speeds you want to use. Be careful.

2019070911351400-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.

Intructions:
    • Atmosphere: Copy over the contents of the zip and reboot your system to load the module. Open Freeset and use that to send over the clock speeds you want.
    • ReiNX: Create a folder in your ReiNX folder named titles if there isn't one. Copy the titles folder from the atmosphere folder to ReiNX/titles. Open "010000000000C235" and move the boot2.flag to the same directory as the exefs.nsp file. Reboot and freebird should now be working on ReiNX.

X turns freebird's clock setting feature on and off. Remember to turn this off before putting your system to sleep. I'm working on it™, but it will cause and require you to fully shutdown and restart your Switch if accidentally left on. When on, freebird will check and set the clocks if they don't match what you choose. When turned off, your clock speeds will be reset and no longer forced.

A sends over the clock speeds shown/chosen from the menu. Up and down change the currently selected option, left and right change speed.

If I missed anything, don't be afraid to ask. I'm open to suggestions too.

I'd like to thank @taggen86, @nabelo, @mathew77, @vanraz86, and @Kirby567fan for taking the chances and testing it. Thanks guys!

Download link: https://gbatemp.net/download/freebird.35566/

Discussion (221 replies)
  1. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    Cool, though I don't plan on overclocking the system atm since there wouldn't be any drastic differences for the majority of games.

Perhaps if it was needed to keep a constant framerate for a game like how it was with BOTW on the Wii U, but even then I doubt Nintendo will ever release something like that again with those issues.

Kubez likes this.
  2. JK_
    OP

JK_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    It's not just for overclocking, it can downclock too. I've found a few games that actually run fine with a slight downclock, saving some battery life. There are also quite a few games where the bump in speed makes a decent impact on dynamic resolution. Doom for example. Everything is much sharper. Tales of Vesperia also seemed to stutter less to me, but I don't want to say for sure. It could've just been my imagination.

TeddyBearYoshi, Zukov and isoisoiso like this.
  3. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    One of the heavyrender games that you can test, its Firewatch. "Spoiler Alert?"....

When reaching for the first time the lake where the drunk girls are, the bushes that you need to cross lag the system every time like hell. due the massive render i guess of the details.

4. taggen86

taggen86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2018
    Sweden
    As long as the game is GPU bound, I would not be surprised if GPU overclocking would give you a solid 30 fps in firewatch (unlike the 20ish frame rate we have now). The lower the frame rate and the lower the resolution (if dynamic res scaling is used), the higher the benefit from overclocking. I am still mind blown by the high resolution in Wolfenstein that GPU overclocking provides.

Last edited by taggen86, Feb 6, 2019
    Amost likes this.
  5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Looks pretty cool :). But would it be possible to put up the source code?

Sciguy429 likes this.
  6. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    You always speak about atmo, is this usable on reinx ?

tangotnt likes this.
  7. MeteK

MeteK GBAtemp Fan

Dec 31, 2012
    France
    Or ?

8. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    it wont wake from sleep and you’ll have to completely turn the system off and back on

9. JK_
    OP

JK_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    Your Switch won't be able to wake up and you'll need to hold the power button down and reboot. It was the one thing holding me back from releasing sooner. I'm not going to pretend it's not a problem, and I want everyone to be aware of it. That's why I consider this more of a WIP.

@Mat37 Atmosphere only at the moment.

Last edited by JK_, Feb 5, 2019
    Mat37 and CallmeBerto like this.
  10. oBluEx

oBluEx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2013
    United States
    Sylvania, Ohio
    Very cool! Will grab this now and test out the Doom 3 NSP. Only game atm I use that needs an Overclock, so I'm hoping this will keep a steady 30 fps.

11. Sumandora

Sumandora GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2018
    Germany
    cool, I really want that but im a SX OS user and SX OS dont allow sysmodules

12. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    FAN.
    PSA: You have also to install this before u overclock ur switch.

Karones, 98otiss, ShonenJump and 3 others like this.
  13. Cubuss

Cubuss GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter
    inb4 help my switch wont turn on threads,

Girtana1 and Kubez like this.
  14. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Oh, I habitually use the sleep function and would get into a mess with this, so will wait for a finalised solution, good work so far tho.

15. kevandkkim

kevandkkim Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2016
    United States
    There are other solutions in the works also.

16. chuck67

chuck67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Thanks for the great app JK, but i wonder why sometimes games wont boot after changing speeds? mario odyssey, and fighterz both give me black screens when booting, but i didnt have this problem with just the plugin version. im on 5.1.0 using nsp method to launch the hbmenu using full ram. thanks again the difference is pretty big, even just browsing menus. :D thanks!

Kubez likes this.
  17. bytar

bytar Holy Knight

Jan 5, 2016
    Japan
    are you eager to solve this problem? it's the biggest throwback of your hard work.

18. grabman

grabman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2018
    United States
    Wonder if this will help banjo tooie in mupen

19. JK_
    OP

JK_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    Are you overclocking the CPU too? That's probably why. CPU overclocking doesn't play nice with much at all, really. Launching games with it almost always fails like that. I guess a solution would be to have a list of title id's and only have it kick on when they're running.

chuck67 likes this.