Hacking Flashing emunand to sysnand, pls make sure I don't fuck up

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive the new thread, but the info is kinda scattered and I just want to make sure I get it right.

- Old3ds, EUR, 4.5 sysnand, 9.2 emunand (still rocking gateway 2.6 as it happens)
- I want to flash the 9.2 emunand to sysnand, so that I can then use the hacks to system transfer to my 9.0 new3ds (sysnand).
- (I gather 9.2 -> 9.0 system transfer works, right? If not I can update the new3ds to 9.2)

...so, is this procedure right? (This bit is all about the old3ds)

1) Dump 9.2 emunand to file
2) Dump nand xorpad (nands are still linked, woop!)
3) Decrypt 9.2 emunand file
4) Inject clean firm0.bin/firm1.bin for 9.2 EUR into decrypted 9.2 emunand file (it sounds like firm0/1.bin files are region-specific, but might be the same as 9.0 version?)
5) Re-encrypt modified 9.2 emunand file
6) Flash it as NAND.BIN to sysnand using gateway launcher

Have I missed much? Have I got anything horribly wrong? Cheers B-)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
NATIVE_FIRM is the same for all regions so you don't need to reinstall/replace it and firm0/firm1 partition should be the same for all regions as well. If you're region changing a 9.2 system, you don't need to do anything to TWL_FIRM, NATIVE_FIRM. or SAFE_MODE_FIRM. There may be others that are the same across regions, but I certainly can't name them all without looking them up.

Refer to this for differences among regions for 9.2:

http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=10-29-14_08-05-02&sys=ctr&soap=1

Unless you have a NAND mod, I do not recommend you region change sysnand. It works just fine as emunand. There's too high a risk of something going wrong especially if this is the first time you region changed a console. Stick to emunand. ;)

But if you absolutely must, make sure the firm0/firm1 files you are injecting into emunand are from a valid 9.2 system that was updated through system settings (preferably outside of Gateway mode, but I hear System Settings will update correctly unlike game roms/cias).

After that, if it boots as emunand after region changing (and after removing duplicate system titles), it should boot as sysnand. But as I said earlier, if you must do this, get a NAND mod first as you only need to ***k up once to get a brick you can't fix. At least a NAND mod will give you the opportunity to correct and learn from mistakes. ;)

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NATIVE_FIRM is the same for all regions so you don't need to reinstall/replace it and firm0/firm1 partition should be the same for all regions as well. If you're region changing a 9.2 system, you don't need to do anything to TWL_FIRM, NATIVE_FIRM. or SAFE_MODE_FIRM. There may be others that are the same across regions, but I certainly can't name them all without looking them up.

Refer to this for differences among regions for 9.2:

http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=10-29-14_08-05-02&sys=ctr&soap=1

Unless you have a NAND mod, I do not recommend you region change sysnand. It works just fine as emunand. There's too high a risk of something going wrong especially if this is the first time you region changed a console. Stick to emunand. ;)

But if you absolutely must, make sure the firm0/firm1 files you are injecting into emunand are from a valid 9.2 system that was updated through system settings (preferably outside of Gateway mode, but I hear System Settings will update correctly unlike game roms/cias).

After that, if it boots as emunand after region changing (and after removing duplicate system titles), it should boot as sysnand. But as I said earlier, if you must do this, get a NAND mod first as you only need to ***k up once to get a brick you can't fix. At least a NAND mod will give you the opportunity to correct and learn from mistakes. ;)

i dont believe he was changing regions... seems loike he was moving the emuNAND from his sd card to the internall NAND chip using the restore nand feature in the gateway menu.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, that. Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to do anything involving region changing, I only mentioned regions to make sure I got the right files.

All I want to do is flash my emunand to sysnand. I gather this is a problem because gateway fucks with the firm files, hence the need for clean ones? Or have I got that wrong? My emunand was updated in gateway mode from system settings, when 9.2 was current.

Anyway if I do need the firm files, the ones grabbed from NUS are encrypted so I don't think they're ready to go in. My pm box is always open for, um, advice about acquiring them.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All I want to do is flash my emunand to sysnand. I gather this is a problem because gateway fucks with the firm files, hence the need for clean ones? Or have I got that wrong?
Please guys? Until I can get this done and system transfer, my shiny New3DS is basically sat there unused :(

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, all your legal eShop content you buyed is inside emuNAND from old3DS?

I would use rxTOOLS with emuNAND 9.7.0 and new3DS with NTR CFW+Debugger to allow Systemtransfer.

It only can transfer legaly eShop(+account) buys and their savegames.

Everything beyond that, won't work!

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, but apparently you can't transfer from 9.7 to 9.0 even with the hack on the New3DS end (different transfer protocols), so I'm going to need to do it from 9.2 to 9.0 with hacks on both ends, which means the old3DS needs to be sysnand.

Yeah I want to transfer my nnid and my couple of legit eshop purchases etc. All the not-so-legit stuff I can sort out for myself :)

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
You can only system transffer 9.7 to 9.7 (Emunand 9.7 to emunand 9.7 / emunand 9.7 to sysnand 9.7 / sysnand 9.7 to emunand 9.7 / sysnand 9.7 to sysnand 9.7)
You come from a FW4.5 system, all your saves need to be fixed using savedatafiller (even if your emunand is 9.0 or higher (else you all get corrupt saves))
And keep in mind, once transffered to a N3DS (XL) you can't go back to O3DS (XL)

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can transfer from 9.0 to 9.2 with hacks, see the eshop spoof thread. I don't use carts and the only two I own are old encryption, so no problem with the saves, but I'll be using SDF for some of my shonky CIAs.

I appreciate the input guys, but I really just need confirmation about the firm0/1 thing for flashing emunand to sysnand, from the few who've tried it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah no comment from me on this, i tied it a good while back (round about the first time 7.x encryption was supported, and it didn't work out, but there have been people who have since then and claimed it went fine.....so idk, prepare for the worst, hope for the best? :huh:

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, preparing for the worst just means I'll be hitting you up for a nand mod if I manage to brick it :) but could do without the hassle at the moment.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I've just re-read this bit... I only ever updated emunand online through system settings, so maybe I'm fine. I did see at least one person saying they had no trouble flashing 9.2 emunand to sysnand anyway, so maybe that's the secret.

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've just re-read this bit... I only ever updated emunand online through system settings, so maybe I'm fine. I did see at least one person saying they had no trouble flashing 9.2 emunand to sysnand anyway, so maybe that's the secret.

There shouldn't be an issue with flashing 9.2 emunand to sysnand. I did it (after a region change), using the gateway launcher. Worked fine. As long as your emunand matches the sys version of your sysNand it should be good. Although I do recommend prayers and a good amount of worrying while the nand is being written to.

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks! But when you say:

Do you mean the firmware version matches? Because my sysnand is 4.5
Right, so you might be in trouble. Wait for confirmation from someone better informed than me. But I'm pretty sure there is a native firm mismatch in that case and your might never boot.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, since 2.4 gateway block the native_firm update (that's why updating sysnand in gw mody= brick) , so flashing an EmuNAND updated from 4.X will result in a brick.

What you can do is to use the 2.2 launcher.dat to update your sysnand with a rom, then manually update the browser.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah no comment from me on this, i tied it a good while back (round about the first time 7.x encryption was supported, and it didn't work out, but there have been people who have since then and claimed it went fine.....so idk, prepare for the worst, hope for the best? :huh:

Nope, just plain simple: get a hardmod and backup the sysnand before dicking with your console.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, since 2.4 gateway block the native_firm update (that's why updating sysnand in gw mody= brick) , so flashing an EmuNAND updated from 4.X will result in a brick.

What you can do is to use the 2.2 launcher.dat to update your sysnand with a rom, then manually update the browser.

Thanks, good info! So, native_firm is firm0.bin, right?

So I could...
- make a new 4.5 emunand
- update it to 9.2 using a rom and gateway 2.2
- extract the firm0/1 from it using rxtools
- inject the above back into my existing 9.2 emunand
- ...which would then be safe/legit to flash to sysnand?

Or I could hope someone can send me the clean firm0/1, or I could try getting them from NUS (last night I finally figured out decrypting one I downloaded, so I can see the FIRM header etc, and it definitely doesn't match the one I extracted from my emunand, but I can't remember which tool I downloaded it with and whether I definitely got the right version...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: