Gaming Flash in next update? *speculation*

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that nintendo alienated flash so that flash based games couldn't be played on its browser? Not that the browser would really be capable of anything but you get my point.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can hope as flash is terrible.

The original post with the pic probably was some error or the handheld loaded up the full computer version site if they even designed it to go that way.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
3D youtube vids would be stellar. Will that happen ? We're talking about Nintendo here. So the answer is, of course, fuck no. Why on God's green earth would Nintendo be interested in providing an outlet for free 3d content ? It would only enhance the greatness of the 3DS a million fold. So count on Nintendo absolutely not doing it. I wager this is nothing but a fuckup, there will be no flash, and of course there will be no 3d youtube vids.

Yes I know you can put 3d vids on 3DS, but there is an unwatchable 20 fps limit. I still thank the people who figured out how to get them to run on the 3DS.

Also to preempt anyone saying "DURR why would they be any faster streaming from YOUTUBE ?" The 20 fps limit is imposed by the Nintendo Camera software.
Just so you know; a standard 3D video on YouTube would NOT be able to be played on the 3DS, even with flash etc. YouTube 3D just takes the 2 separate images and displays them with a variety of techniques (red-blue, interleaved, cross-eyed etc.) all of which is processed on the YouTube server end. The 3DS' 3D works in a completely different way (well, it uses cross-eyed technique), the 3DS would need it's own unique YouTube application that takes the 2 images and processes them into 3D compatible with the 3DS on-the-fly (similar to the camera/video application).

(If however, you're like me and find it easy to retain either a cross-eyed or parallel-eyed view of 2 side-by-side 2D images, you could watch it straight off of YouTube like that, however this would defeat the object of using a 3DS rather than your PC / mobile).

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys must know that in order for the 3DS to support Youtube, it would need to make deals with Adobe for Flash support, or make deals with Google to make a Youtube app.
Not at all. YouTube has a public API for almost anything you can do on the YouTube site, it's free even for many commercial purposes. Anyone can make a YouTube app, including Nintendo ― they could even charge for it, if they wanted to. Also, Flash isn't even required on the YouTube site any more, which is one more reason for *not* supporting it on the 3DS.

I would put money down that Flash isn't ever coming to the 3DS. Nintendo may eventually give into consumer demands ― assuming there are any ― to improve the browser so that it supports 3D and HTML video, but it would probably require closing the game currently being played first.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know; a standard 3D video on YouTube would NOT be able to be played on the 3DS, even with flash etc. YouTube 3D just takes the 2 separate images and displays them with a variety of techniques (red-blue, interleaved, cross-eyed etc.) all of which is processed on the YouTube server end.

That is completely false. If that were true, then you couldn't switch between the different viewing methods without having to re-establish the connection to the stream. The videos themselves are also buffered, thus further proving that what is streamed to the client are also processed by the client.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know; a standard 3D video on YouTube would NOT be able to be played on the 3DS, even with flash etc. YouTube 3D just takes the 2 separate images and displays them with a variety of techniques (red-blue, interleaved, cross-eyed etc.) all of which is processed on the YouTube server end.

That is completely false. If that were true, then you couldn't switch between the different viewing methods without having to re-establish the connection to the stream. The videos themselves are also buffered, thus further proving that what is streamed to the client are also processed by the client.
I can confirm this much as true, running a log while loading and switching between various 3D modes on a random video, the only time video is streamed is during the initial load, all the changes appear to be done client-side.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

OK w/e my point still stands that the 3DS would need a separate application to be able to process the video in 3DS 3D.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
OK w/e my point still stands that the 3DS would need a separate application to be able to process the video in 3DS 3D.

Which, as McHaggis said, can be done via the Youtube API incorporated into a stand-alone app. If Nintendo were to make a more fully-equipped web browser (separate from the lightweight version as suggested by many), they could add it into that.

omega59

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Flash it out dated, they need to get with the times HTML5 is the future for rich multimedia content. Adobe already dropped it from their mobile/android devices.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When will people understand that Mobile Flash has been discontinued by Adobe and licenses are no longer sold? Not just to Nintendo - no contemporary mobile platform supports it. Flash is ancient, HTML5 is the future.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
False. The current existing versions will be there for devices that decide to support it. but development has stopped, and devices are moving away from flash support and going to HTML5 support instead.

Not all videos on YouTube work with HTML,quote.Even so flash is still being used,it's going but I think it'll always be on browser intill at least 40% of the internet decides to move on.I'm curious if that will effect AS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig