Gaming Flash in next update? *speculation*

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The camera app could use some updating too. :(
Customizable folders, labeling files at least, XL should have a light/cam flash and better camera quality blah blah...
No way YouTube is coming to 3ds via flash. Maybe a standalone app or a nice browser overhaul update. We can only wish. It would allow ppl to view a lot more 3d content. Maybe they don't want to do it cause it'll negate what little use the nintendo video app has completely.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, in reality, the 3DS browser has very little of the system memory available to it. That's why some big sites fail to render properly and why the browser only renders part of the web page at a time. Now, imagine running Flash on top of this and having Flash decode a video format. Flash isn't coming.

Remember Apple's reason for not allowing Flash on the iPhone? "Stability". And that browser had much more resources available to it. If anything, Nintendo would implement HTML 5 HTMLVideoElement and HTMLAudioElement before allowing plugins, but I don't think enough people are putting pressure on them to do so.

Question, how is the support for HTML5 stuff on the 3DS? Does it play the video and or audio tags?\

Last time I used the 3DS browser it was too basic to function normally as a webbrowser for me.
No, it doesn't.

The reason the 3DS browser is so limited is because it only uses 32MB of RAM so that you can multitask with it while playing a game. If Nintendo allowed access to the full 128MB, I'm sure it would be better.

They should have a 2nd version of the internet browser that handles the heavier content like Youtube, but is launched like any other stand-alone game/app like the Music and Camera apps (allowing the 96MB and processing power everything else uses). But, when using the current lightweight version, it will request to switch to the heavyweight if and when the content requires it.
I had this exact idea in mind. I wonder why no one at Nintendo has thought of it. Or perhaps they have and didn't like the idea.
I also thought the same thing, they could improve the quality of web apps running on the 3DS.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Last time I used the 3DS browser it was too basic to function normally as a webbrowser for me.
Indeed. It seriously felt like using a browser on one of my first cell phones... it's that bad. doesn't really matter to me since I can use a much more full-featured browser on my smartphone (and without needing wi-fi, at that), but still.

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
FVOES.jpg

Anything that can at least view YouTube or something of that like would be nice on the 3DS. Their Wii is capable of it, so why isn't the 3DS? It's just as powerful (if not more) than a Wii.

Oh wait, their browser runs over top of everything else so not all the RAM is dedicated to the browser. Unless they release a stand-alone browser, flash or anything similar is just a pipe dream.
2 things.
1.Remember that the 3DS might seem "more powerful" but an ARM processor (a mobile one) is not the same as a full blown one that would be used in a wii. Its actually hard to line them up side by side.
2. A youtube app is completely within the scope of the 3DSs power, and with HTML5, that dream is certainly feasible. I thought the 3DS could use youtube already, interesting that it cant.
You guys must know that in order for the 3DS to support Youtube, it would need to make deals with Adobe for Flash support, or make deals with Google to make a Youtube app. Because the browser needs to be very light if it's gonna be *at all* usable with a game suspended.

And I highly doubt Nintendo giving in to customer pressure on the "making deals" matter. I would LOVE to get proven wrong though. Youtube 3DS would mean 3D content anywhere. But they have to be able to buffer/cache well. I hate pure streaming (my net speed can't support it).

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
FVOES.jpg

Anything that can at least view YouTube or something of that like would be nice on the 3DS. Their Wii is capable of it, so why isn't the 3DS? It's just as powerful (if not more) than a Wii.

Oh wait, their browser runs over top of everything else so not all the RAM is dedicated to the browser. Unless they release a stand-alone browser, flash or anything similar is just a pipe dream.
2 things.
1.Remember that the 3DS might seem "more powerful" but an ARM processor (a mobile one) is not the same as a full blown one that would be used in a wii. Its actually hard to line them up side by side.
2. A youtube app is completely within the scope of the 3DSs power, and with HTML5, that dream is certainly feasible. I thought the 3DS could use youtube already, interesting that it cant.
You guys must know that in order for the 3DS to support Youtube, it would need to make deals with Adobe for Flash support, or make deals with Google to make a Youtube app. Because the browser needs to be very light if it's gonna be *at all* usable with a game suspended.

And I highly doubt Nintendo giving in to customer pressure on the "making deals" matter. I would LOVE to get proven wrong though. Youtube 3DS would mean 3D content anywhere. But they have to be able to buffer/cache well. I hate pure streaming (my net speed can't support it).
Seeing that YouTube is coming for Wii U, why not? There is a slight possibility.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3DS doesn't need flash to play games, so it'd be a useless update.

I hardly even use the youtube app on my vita, and youtube looks fantastic on it. I couldn't imagine using a 3DS for browsing or youtube. That's kind of a sick joke. People should use their handheld gaming devices for handheld gaming...instead of an all-in-one media entertainment center.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I hardly even use the youtube app on my vita, and youtube looks fantastic on it. I couldn't imagine using a 3DS for browsing or youtube. That's kind of a sick joke. People should use their handheld gaming devices for handheld gaming...instead of an all-in-one media entertainment center.
Yeah, but that's the direction they're moving regardless. Plus Youtube on the 3DS would have an actual benefit that you wouldn't have on a typical computer or smartphone: 3D videos. If it weren't for that, I could care less since videos would look much nicer on my Galaxy S's Super AMOLED screen.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, but that's the direction they're moving regardless. Plus Youtube on the 3DS would have an actual benefit that you wouldn't have on a typical computer or smartphone: 3D videos. If it weren't for that, I could care less since videos would look much nicer on my Galaxy S's Super AMOLED screen.

How many glasses-free 3D youtube videos even exist right now anyway?
That are worth watching, I mean.
I assume the count hovers around 0~1.

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
The fact that people actually think hardware like the 3DS can handle flash is hilarious. My phone splutters over it, and that was the flagbearer for flash on Android.
Flash is a bloated piece of shit that hopefully will never go near the 3DS. My only use for it nowadays is Binding of Isaac, and if that gets a Vita port, McMillen has said he'll rewrite in in C++. For all I care, Flash can burn.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't know, since my 3DS is the only 3D-capable device I have access to. All I know is that tons of Youtube videos I see have a 3D option.

The fact that people actually think hardware like the 3DS can handle flash is hilarious. My phone splutters over it, and that was the flagbearer for flash on Android.
Flash is a bloated piece of shit that hopefully will never go near the 3DS. My only use for it nowadays is Binding of Isaac, and if that gets a Vita port, McMillen has said he'll rewrite in in C++. For all I care, Flash can burn.
My first smartphone couldn't handle flash at all, and it had a dedicated youtube app that worked perfectly.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't know, since my 3DS is the only 3D-capable device I have access to. All I know is that tons of Youtube videos I see have a 3D option.

My first smartphone couldn't handle flash at all, and it had a dedicated youtube app that worked perfectly.
Same here for my Ipod. I'm loving Youtube with it.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same here fpr my Ipod. I'm loving Youtube with it.
That too. I almost forgot about Apple and their infamous "no flash" policy. :P

Anyway, point is, you don't need to be able to support flash to have working Youtube.
What? I DIDN'T KNOW!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! DX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1