OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix continues its milking of the Dragon Quest franchise:

viploader535793.jpg

The 4th game should be with in English next year, not sure about this one. They've also still got the 9th game coming out and have plans for a port/remake of the 6th.

Picture cruelly stolen from Gonintendo, who erm got it from some other place.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
holy moly. so first we've had joker, then DQ4 then DQ9 and now DQ5.

oh well, i must say i've taken a liking to the series.

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
I've heard that the DS version of DQIV is just a port of the PSX remake.. how about this one?

Should be a port but tailored to the DS like the last game and then some bits added. Judging by the screens and what they did with the last one.

Not exactly, as DQ 4 had a PSX remake using DQ 7 engine , DQ 5 had a PS2 remake of its own, and it would not be possible to port a PS2 game to the DS, so it's a new remake of the 5th entry (and not a port), but using the same engine as the 4th on the DS and PSX (and thus of the 7th as well...)... But they'll probably retain all the additions from the PS2 version (and maybe throw in additional bonuses as well).

Was that clear? Not sure...
wacko.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually first we had Rocket Slime, which to me is a lot better. There was also Itadaki Street DS which was Dragon Quest & Mario characters in a Mario Party style. Not sure if that'll ever come out over here as the other Itadaki games never did.

It would be nice if they revisited other games on the DSinstead Mana/FF/DQ games all the time, how about Evo: Search For Edan or Parasite Eve? I know the PSP has had some and will also be getting Star Ocean.

How long until the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest crossover game? That'll make a stupid amount of money.

[Jez]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Square was amazing during the PSX era and tried a bunch of new directions and IPs (FFT, Para Eve, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts) now they just rehash old stuff
frown.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Square Enix continues its milking of the Dragon Quest franchise...

I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you kind of alluded to it, yeah, it's almost like Square has developed their own form of shovelware. Create an engine, and then milk the living crap out of it with remakes. I don't mind it, as a matter of fact I love them for their FF DS remakes, but I'm a little disappointed with their DQ remakes. Their vision of the Mana series on the DS doesn't do much to excite me, either.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

Actually first we had Rocket Slime, which to me is a lot better. There was also Itadaki Street DS which was Dragon Quest & Mario characters in a Mario Party style. Not sure if that'll ever come out over here as the other Itadaki games never did.

It would be nice if they revisited other games on the DSinstead Mana/FF/DQ games all the time, how about Evo: Search For Edan or Parasite Eve? I know the PSP has had some and will also be getting Star Ocean.

How long until the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest crossover game? That'll make a stupid amount of money.

Weird, but.. Dragon Quest don't have "famous" characters like Cloud.. so I can't see how a crossover game could be done.. unless they do something like.. "Cactuar VS Slime at the Olympics"
tongue.gif

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They already did a Itadaki Street with DQ/FF crossover so... yeah...

D

Deleted User

Looks really nice. I'm still waiting for the 4th to be published in english though.

QUOTE([Jez said:
@ Dec 7 2007, 04:50 PM)]Square was amazing during the PSX era and tried a bunch of new directions and IPs (FFT, Para Eve, Xenogears, Vandal Hearts) now they just rehash old stuff
frown.gif

I somewhere read that they started focussing on remakes/ports because the sales are really high.

Hey Camelot! Why don't you make a Golden Sun DS that looks like that?
smile.gif
wub.gif
I'd kill for that!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well heres the thing, if people buy the remakes...they'll get made! And if you don't buy them, they'd think you don't want the franchise.

Look at what Capcom did with Res Evil DS, I read while that was in development that it was released to see if DS owners would go for a RE title and if it sold ok they would've made a new one. It didn't sell ok so they thought "oh they don't want M rated RE games". Of course it didn't sell because its the same bloody game we've played for 10 odd years.

But if big sales of these games means more funding for titles like "The World Ends With You" and other new games than it can't be good, at least SE games are quality titles, worth trying and not DSI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night