Hardware First critic review of the American 3DS

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gear.ign.com/articles/115/1155978p1.html

I'm reading it now, so no thoughts yet. Will edit with them later.

EDIT: It seems to me that since they've had the Japanese units for a while now, they seem to have lost interest in how unique glasses-less 3D is. I also think that if Nintendo had released a big hit (Mario, MGS, Zelda, etc) on launch, that the review would probably be higher as well.
EDIT 2: Seems my thoughts were right on the launch game thing:

When someone directly asked the reviewer if the system is worth $250:
QUOTE said:
Ah, the money question. This is a tough call. If it were completely up to me... no, I would not get it at launch. I waited on the original DS, and was rewarded with the incredible DS Lite. However, that's not the situation with the 3DS. I will not wait for a new hardware design. I'd simply wait until June, when the Ocarina of Time remake hits, and pick it up then.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
7.5 is a fucking travesty of a score. What the fuck are people bitching about the battery life for, IT'S THREE FUCKING DEE. They give longevity a FOUR because of battery life ? ? ? What about the YEARS AND YEARS I'll be using the system which will obviously have shit-tons of great games ? Does that not fucking count at all ? ? I love this line: "The 3DS has a limit of 100 friends, no doubt something that will prove frustrating to the hardcore gamers out there." Yeah. 100 friend limit. WHAT A HEARTBREAK. How will I ever explain my neglect to my 101th online gaming buddy ? 100 limit is plenty, and if anyone actually gives a shit, I'm sure it could easily be addressed in a system update. This idiot reviewer is mad cause he couldn't find someone to help him get 3d picture of his genitals. 7.5 is a BRUTAL score for a $250 3d augmented reality, let alone the games coming just within the launch window. This shit review doesn't hamper my excitement one bit, I'm still counting down the days. IGN went down the toilet like a year or two ago, it's updates are pathetically small, just stick with kotaku/quickjump for good game news.

Value ? ? ? Question; how much is the minimal cost to experience 3d MOVIES, let alone games ? Add up the cost of a 3d capable monitor, a 3d device, 3d glasses, a ps3 or decent pc. Or, a $250 3DS. Well sorry I can't afford all that other shit, IGN. I'm sorry I don't meet your gilded platinum standard of bleeding edge hardcore. I'm sorry I don't have over one hundred people I want on a fucking friendlist. Am I even a gamer ? ? ? ? Maybe I'M the one who should be rated 7.5 or perhaps lower on the gamer scale. Or maybe IGN can take a flying leap.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Thats why you shouldn't listen to IGN
lecture.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why the 3DS would get such a bad score on battery. I don't know anybody that would play the system with max specs for over 3-5 hours.

If you ARE that desperate, there is this one thing called a CHARGER. I think this is a bullshit review. I wonder if the NGP will get a 15 out of 10, because it has "BETTUR GRAPHIX!!!"

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Honestly who listens to IGN?
Some of the people commenting at IGN apparently.

I went back, it seem they gave the dsi 7.8...

What doesn't make sense is when some say cancel pre-order and then come back and stay they buy it 4-5 months later.

What the difference in buying it now vs later? (which may even be shortages then)

They was focus on the bad parts not the good parts of the system. (which aren't that bad and over exaggerated)

Z

Zorua

IGN, oh IGN, when will you learn? Nobody trusts you any more!
angry.gif

EDIT: Look at the comments. They are downright hideous!
closedeyes.gif

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seems like a pretty fair review to me in all honesty.
In my opinion, the only time when the focus on negatives seemed to overpower the focus on positives was the conclusion.
Throughout reading, I honestly felt that IGN stressed the positives more than negatives. The whole time I was reading through the review I got an overall positive vibe.
I'm not saying they didn't go in-depth with negative aspects of the device because they did. But I liked that depth, I found it reassuring. They go in, say something isn't exactly great... but then at the same time, don't make it sound as absolutely awful as I'd expected.
The conclusion puzzled me a little because that's where the negatives were really prominent... I had this good feeling and then they sort of crushed it.
But the actual score of 7.5 is about what I'd have expected.
It's nice to have a review not stained with a fanboy's Nintendo-loving ejaculate *cough* 3DS blog *cough*.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Slyakin said:
I don't see why the 3DS would get such a bad score on battery. I don't know anybody that would play the system with max specs for over 3-5 hours.

If you ARE that desperate, there is this one thing called a CHARGER. I think this is a bullshit review. I wonder if the NGP will get a 15 out of 10, because it has "BETTUR GRAPHIX!!!"

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Side note to the OP, Nintendo doesn't control the launch of MGS3D, it's by Konami.

Battery life still is an issue. But I've had my PSP for a while so I'm kinda used to the ballpark range of the battery life here.

Although the PSP (excluding the Go) does have an easily removable battery if you want to charge multiple batteries or use a third party accessory.

IGN makes shitty reviews but it's pretty true to just wait until a few months after launch to get it. Honestly, the only good looking launch games seem to be SSFIV (which I'd just get the Xbox 360/PS3 version for honestly), Samurai Warriors Chronicles (although there's a bagillion Samurai/Dynasty Warriors games on the PSP if you want your portable hacking and slashing fix), and maybe Rayman 3D (which I haven't heard much from yet and it could be great or it could be yet another shitty port). I'd say the only things worth buying for the system will come in a couple months. For me the only draw it has is MGS3D, but some people want OoT or SF64.

IGN has had far from reliable scores. Hell, most review sites are full of shit. The best impressions of a system come from people like us. Gods Eater has like, what, a 7/10 average but people here (in the PSP sector at least) are loving it.

If you want some lulz IGN reviews though, check out God Hand (3/10...) or some of their PSP reviews (which they consistently get wrong it seems).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Side note to the OP, Nintendo doesn't control the launch of MGS3D, it's by Konami.

Battery life still is an issue. But I've had my PSP for a while so I'm kinda used to the ballpark range of the battery life here.

Although the PSP (excluding the Go) does have an easily removable battery if you want to charge multiple batteries or use a third party accessory.

IGN makes shitty reviews but it's pretty true to just wait until a few months after launch to get it. Honestly, the only good looking launch games seem to be SSFIV (which I'd just get the Xbox 360/PS3 version for honestly), Samurai Warriors Chronicles (although there's a bagillion Samurai/Dynasty Warriors games on the PSP if you want your portable hacking and slashing fix), and maybe Rayman 3D (which I haven't heard much from yet and it could be great or it could be yet another shitty port). I'd say the only things worth buying for the system will come in a couple months. For me the only draw it has is MGS3D, but some people want OoT or SF64.

IGN has had far from reliable scores. Hell, most review sites are full of shit. The best impressions of a system come from people like us. Gods Eater has like, what, a 7/10 average but people here (in the PSP sector at least) are loving it.

If you want some lulz IGN reviews though, check out God Hand (3/10...) or some of their PSP reviews (which they consistently get wrong it seems).
Kinda felt you wasn't hating on 3DS this time...

But if you know more good games are coming (not all people play Street fighter or (Samurai/Dynasty Warriors) ect. ) then what the point and waiting risking
shortage and then giving it lower rating base only at launch?

Other words the review was short sighted.

The battery life alone mess it up, that shouldn't have happen.

Nintendo even tried to keep the launch varied.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Kinda felt you wasn't hating on 3DS this time...

But if you know more good games are coming (not all people play Street fighter or (Samurai/Dynasty Warriors) ect. ) then what the point and waiting risking
shortage and then giving it lower rating base only at launch?

Other words the review was short sighted.

The battery life alone mess it up, that shouldn't have happen.

Nintendo even tried to keep the launch varied.

I've never hated on the 3DS, people just seem to take it for more than it is.

I'd mainly wait because odds are the shortage won't be around when the games you actually want launch. Nintendo would be pretty stupid to not fulfill a console shortage when they're launching big title for it. Also, if you're a "used game whore" like me, the system's used price will probably go down quite a bit. There's no point buying the system now and having it sit around, gathering dust when you could possibly get a bargain on it later and buy it when you actually need it.

EDIT: Your edit stuff...

I'm guessing battery life was tanked so much because the DS had awesome battery life. I'd say it was, by far, one of the best things about the system. My DS Phat is quite old now and it still retains tons of hours of battery life. To go from the awesome DS battery life to a rather limited 3-5 hour battery life is probably a bit of a downer, although you can't really blame Nintendo. It's not like there's much they could do about it honestly, and the NGP is expected to have the same battery life so in comparison to the competition it's equal.

The launch was "varied" but it was just filled with too many things that were just "meh". Games that you only really buy because the system, at this point, has no other games. Like Steel Diver. Reviews are alright but it still looks completely unsatisfying. I'd say the same goes for Pilotwings and some of the crappy looking third party games (like that dinosaur Ubisoft game or Bust-A-Move). When you're bored of playing the few games you got on launch I'm sure many people will go "Well, might as well buy (insert game here)."

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
The review seemed pretty fair to me. Especially the part about the lack of working apps at the moment. Now to see what May brings for the 3DS...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/f8gq43e