Hardware First critic review of the American 3DS

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
lol fags.. I should have come to this sooner but I came to a conclusion that IGN is ultimately lame especially now with these new kids in charge of different departments of it. Douchefag kids >.> not to mention their 3DS unboxing was half-assed too. Oh mister "I have no time for this shit and I'm gonna sit here and drink my coke while you guys blah blah".

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm guessing battery life was tanked so much because the DS had awesome battery life. I'd say it was, by far, one of the best things about the system. My DS Phat is quite old now and it still retains tons of hours of battery life. To go from the awesome DS battery life to a rather limited 3-5 hour battery life is probably a bit of a downer, although you can't really blame Nintendo. It's not like there's much they could do about it honestly, and the NGP is expected to have the same battery life so in comparison to the competition it's equal.
OK then the reviewer should have seen that point, more features = more power and base the battery on that. Not just tanked it because it
has less power than the less features last gen.

Do not even remember if he mention 3D off give 5-8 hours.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yuyuyup said:
7.5 is a fucking travesty of a score. What the fuck are people bitching about the battery life for, IT'S THREE FUCKING DEE. They give longevity a FOUR because of battery life ? ? ? What about the YEARS AND YEARS I'll be using the system which will obviously have shit-tons of great games ? Does that not fucking count at all ? ? I love this line: "The 3DS has a limit of 100 friends, no doubt something that will prove frustrating to the hardcore gamers out there." Yeah. 100 friend limit. WHAT A HEARTBREAK. How will I ever explain my neglect to my 101th online gaming buddy ? 100 limit is plenty, and if anyone actually gives a shit, I'm sure it could easily be addressed in a system update. This idiot reviewer is mad cause he couldn't find someone to help him get 3d picture of his genitals. 7.5 is a BRUTAL score for a $250 3d augmented reality, let alone the games coming just within the launch window. This shit review doesn't hamper my excitement one bit, I'm still counting down the days. IGN went down the toilet like a year or two ago, it's updates are pathetically small, just stick with kotaku/quickjump for good game news.

Value ? ? ? Question; how much is the minimal cost to experience 3d MOVIES, let alone games ? Add up the cost of a 3d capable monitor, a 3d device, 3d glasses, a ps3 or decent pc. Or, a $250 3DS. Well sorry I can't afford all that other shit, IGN. I'm sorry I don't meet your gilded platinum standard of bleeding edge hardcore. I'm sorry I don't have over one hundred people I want on a fucking friendlist. Am I even a gamer ? ? ? ? Maybe I'M the one who should be rated 7.5 or perhaps lower on the gamer scale. Or maybe IGN can take a flying leap.

Holy shit, ultimate 3DS fanboy detected!

First off, I have to say if you're relying on Kotaku and QuickJump for news .. ouch. Quite possibly two of the worst sites for news ever! In comparison, IGN is the Shakespeare to their Nora Roberts, you know? Frankly all three are shit, but for the love of all that is good start putting some better sites in your rotation.

Anyhow, the review is actually pretty positive, but fairly nails the system where appropriate. (Cameras, battery life, screen size/resolution, noticeable performance drop during AR games, wi-fi signal strength, staying within the right spot to even see the 3D, icons for software that does not yet exist.) They are reviewing the device as it exists RIGHT NOW, not on its future potential. They say you'll want one down the line when better software is released. How is that not fair? They gave horrible marks for the battery life -- again, how is that not fair? They identified in the review that it can be as low as 2.5hours. That's abysmal for a portable device -- it's even worse than the PSP Go!

..right at the end of the review, they say: "...but for purists, it's a small price to pay for getting into Nintendo's glasses-free 3D gaming revolution at the ground level."

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mmmm I do have to agree that I honestly don't care about battery life. I play indoors nearly all the time as it is... not like I won't have a charger with me.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing they may change is battery life and size. (either/or) Both will just make it the same as it is now.

Better cameras will jack up the (tho fair) price even higher.

Wifi signal strength? Really? That differentially nitpicking.

You can get use to the 3D spot.

Going have to test the AR myself.

3DS has way more features than deprive features psp go as well.

First time I read/heard 2.5 battery life.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
People make it sound like the 3DS cannot be played while being charged.
What the hell people...
I mean, if you're at home then keep it in the charger.
If you're not at home, I don't see why the hell you'd play for 3-5 hours without coming back home and charging it.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Well keeping it on the charger like that... makes the battery worse in the long run... to sustain the life of the battery you should only charge it when its like... almost dead. That way it keeps the 3-5 hour battery life and doesn't decrease. It's just very few people actually do that.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
IchigoK2031 said:
Well keeping it on the charger like that... makes the battery worse in the long run... to sustain the life of the battery you should only charge it when its like... almost dead. That way it keeps the 3-5 hour battery life and doesn't decrease. It's just very few people actually do that.

I didn't mean literally keep it in the charger all the time. What I meant is that when you're at home, you always have access to a charger so why complain?
And when a person is outside, a person wouldn't play for 3-5 hours unless he/she is mad.
tongue.gif

I take good care of battery life usually.
The last time I charged my DSi XL was like in the beginning of February (no joke, I swear). I'm constantly playing with it and it's still at 3/4 battery life.
Even though the battery life was like the 3DS's, I wouldn't complain, 'cause there's a charger for a reason.
smile.gif

People are so spoiled. They should think that the ability to even power a system while it's not plugged in is a gift, but they complain about battery life when they have a charger next to them? Lol wut.
I hope you get my point
wink.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Only thing they may change is battery life and size. (either/or) Both will just make it the same as it is now.

Better cameras will jack up the (tho fair) price even higher.

Wifi signal strength? Really? That differentially nitpicking.

You can get use to the 3D spot.

Going have to test the AR myself.

3DS has way more features than deprive features psp go as well.

First time I read/heard 2.5 battery life.

I don't really care about cameras personally, if you really want high quality pictures then you buy a dedicated camera. Cameras on other things are so just a "spur of the moment, need a picture" type of thing.

WiFi signal strength is quite significant. I don't want my signal dropping out or lagging when I'm playing SSFIV. Same goes with downloading content or playing any game online.

The thing with the 3D spot is that it's specific. I'm not a statue when I play my games, I move around a bit. I shift, I move, and move the system a lot. It's annoying when you want to use 3D but you can't really stay in a comfortable position to view it.

If you think the 3DS has significantly more features than the PSP Go then you obviously don't know anything about a PSP or a PSP Go. There's surprisingly a lot of features on the 3DS that are rather throwaway features anyway (like features you read about but find yourself barely using them).

EDIT: Decided to save a post and reply to the post below:

SpaceJump said:
QUOTEI'd simply wait until June, when the Ocarina of Time remake hits[/u][/b], and pick it up then.
So what's the difference in picking the 3DS up on launch or in June? It's not like it will be cheaper thenn
unsure.gif

The used market will be bigger and you never know if there'll be any deals by then (ones better than the current ones).

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
I'd simply wait until June, when the Ocarina of Time remake hits[/u][/b], and pick it up then.
So what's the difference in picking the 3DS up on launch or in June? It's not like it will be cheaper thenn
unsure.gif

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
SpaceJump said:
QUOTE said:
I'd simply wait until June, when the Ocarina of Time remake hits[/u][/b], and pick it up then.
unsure.gif
the bolded part. that's the difference.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
TheTwoR's said:
IchigoK2031 said:

I didn't mean literally keep it in the charger all the time. What I meant is that when you're at home, you always have access to a charger so why complain?
And when a person is outside, a person wouldn't play for 3-5 hours unless he/she is mad.
tongue.gif

I take good care of battery life usually.
The last time I charged my DSi XL was like in the beginning of February (no joke, I swear). I'm constantly playing with it and it's still at 3/4 battery life.
Even though the battery life was like the 3DS's, I wouldn't complain, 'cause there's a charger for a reason.
smile.gif

People are so spoiled. They should think that the ability to even power a system while it's not plugged in is a gift, but they complain about battery life when they have a charger next to them? Lol wut.
I hope you get my point
wink.gif

I get your point, just the way you stated it seemed like: "oh we're at home, keep it on charger all day"
tongue.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
WiFi signal strength is quite significant. I don't want my signal dropping out or lagging when I'm playing SSFIV. Same goes with downloading content or playing any game online.
I meant "Nintendo GOT THIS!(lopez)" cover, no need to worry.
The thing with the 3D spot is that it's specific. I'm not a statue when I play my games, I move around a bit. I shift, I move, and move the system a lot. It's annoying when you want to use 3D but you can't really stay in a comfortable position to view it.
idk If you really into a game, your become so what of a statue and even may forget where you are.
laugh.gif

If you think the 3DS has significantly more features than the PSP Go then you obviously don't know anything about a PSP or a PSP Go. There's surprisingly a lot of features on the 3DS that are rather throwaway features anyway (like features you read about but find yourself barely using them).
That base on person who playing the 3DS on the features and how they are used. Plus 3DS has more power than psp go. (forgot to mention)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
I meant "Nintendo GOT THIS!(lopez)" cover, no need to worry.
idk If you really into a game, your become so what of a statue and even may forget where you are.
laugh.gif

That base on person who playing the 3DS on the features and how they are used. Plus 3DS has more power than psp go. (forgot to mention)

The PSP came out about roughly 6 years ago. It's retarded to brag about a system that came out this year being more powerful than a system that came out 6 years ago. Even then, the gap is not that big. Compare similarly styled games (Kingdom Hearts BBS and Kingdom Hearts 3D, MGS3D and MGS: PW, etc) and the difference is not that huge.

Your comparisons are just bad. The PSP Go is not on the same generation as the 3DS, your comparisons are about as valid as a Playstation 3 to a Gamecube.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
The PSP came out about roughly 6 years ago. It's retarded to brag about a system that came out this year being more powerful than a system that came out 6 years ago. Even then, the gap is not that big. Compare similarly styled games (Kingdom Hearts BBS and Kingdom Hearts 3D, MGS3D and MGS: PW, etc) and the difference is not that huge.

Your comparisons are just bad. The PSP Go is not on the same generation as the 3DS, your comparisons are about as valid as a Playstation 3 to a Gamecube.
PSP Go to 3DS is like the PlayStation(maybe a little higher than that...) to the Wii.

I was comparing them to help even more justify the battery life. I wasn't bragging anything.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
QUOTE said:

Given that the 3DS can pump out a game that looks like RE: The Mercenaries while rendering two frames at a time and with programmable shaders, I would say it's leagues ahead of the PSP graphically. If it were compared with the PSP on fair grounds, (2D vs. 2D) the 3DS would crush the PSP without breaking a sweat.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:

PSP to 3DS is like the PlayStation(maybe a little higher than that...) to the Wii.

I was comparing them to help even more justify the battery life. I wasn't bragging anything.

The graphics on the 3DS are nowhere near as valid as that comparison. They're good, but they're just a step above the PSP and definitely a step below the NGP.

They have about equal battery life, if you're wondering. Other PSPs though have easily removable batteries if you wanted to swap out batteries to keep playing on the go.

Snailface said:

Given that the 3DS can pump out a game that looks like RE: The Mercenaries while rendering two frames at a time and with programmable shaders, I would say it's leagues ahead of the PSP graphically.

3D mode usually halves the framerate so it's not that it's a huge step of ahead, it's just that you can play a game in 60 FPS or 30 FPS.

Plus I've seen in-game footage of RE: The Mercenaries and while it looks pretty good, it's not a huge step above probably the best looking and upcoming PSP game, The Third Birthday. It's certainly better looking but it's not like the jump from the PS2 to the PS3.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
They have about equal battery life, if you're wondering. Other PSPs though have easily removable batteries if you wanted to swap out batteries to keep playing on the go.
And this is unfortunately gonna change. Removing the battery in the PSP Go, although easy, will result in a voided warranty, due to the use of Pandoras in other PSPs.

This seems to be a trend that will extend to the NGP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: hahahaha