Firmware status

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nah3DS, Jan 24, 2018.

1. namad

namad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    what 4.1.0 warmboot? I thought deja was unreleased and pega was 3.0.0 or lower?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Deja Vu was released about a month ago and Pegaswitch supports up to firmware 4.1 for the time being.

3. namad

namad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
  4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Last edited by Lacius, Jul 30, 2019
  5. namad

namad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Thanks I was actually reading that website, but since no one had recommended it to me here on gbatemp I wasn't sure if I could trust it! Glad to know I can. (I actually asked these questions here on gbatemp after reading about these new exploits I hadn't heard of before on that other site you linked. I was basically trying to confirm what it said. But of course I was misunderstanding it pretty badly at the same time!)

6. simsimsim

simsimsim Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2018
    Canada
    damn...it doesn't seem we are making much visible progress on the patched units front. Nintendo seems to have done a good job protecting the new units.

Bigkahuna28 likes this.
  7. DeathReaper666

DeathReaper666 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    something will happen eventually but if nothing happens by next year i may end up biting the bullet and dropping the extra 100-200 bucks for a unpatched switch my games just arent as fun without being able to cheat i cant seem to find the urge to play three houses anymore its hard to want to play it with how bad ng+ was implemented and how scarcely renown is given out

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Patched units are very secure, and one should not expect more than the following progress:
    1. Patched systems on 4.1.0 are hackable now with Deja Vu as long as the Switch has never connected to the internet (without being protected by 90DNS or PegaScape).
    2. Patched systems on 5.0.0-7.0.1 might be hackable someday in the distant future. The wait will likely be long enough that selling the system and getting an unpatched one is recommended.
    3. Patched systems on 8.0.0 and higher will probably never be hackable.

9. DeathReaper666

DeathReaper666 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    sorry thats not me i try to find the bright side of any situation i find myself in no matter how grim it may seem even if its a decade form now it will happen eventually nothing is unhackable

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That is idealism, not realism. In reality, there's no reason to think that ipatched Switch systems on 8.0.0 and higher will "eventually be hacked." Nintendo did a great job with security this time around, and even SciresM says it's probably not going to happen.

11. Ranford

Ranford Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    Russia
    Hm. Any suggestions on a place where I could buy an unpatched switch? In my city, everything is already patched.

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    1. Get a used Switch, perhaps at a local small business
    2. Get a used Switch that's banned, if you don't care about online play
    3. Check the serial number before making any purchase
    There are unpatched units still out there. In addition, if you just can't find anything other than patched systems, check the serial number for one that is on 4.1.0 (if you're buying new). However, unpatched is highly recommended.

13. pofer

pofer GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere around the corner
    edit: wrong thread

Last edited by pofer, Aug 15, 2019
  14. riahc3

riahc3 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 17, 2008
    United States
    This is a huge statement to make...

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That doesn't make it any less true. If you understand the security Nintendo has in place on the Switch, you will understand that, in the absence of another hardware vulnerability, 8.0.0 and higher is extremely difficult to hack.

If you have a problem with stating that patched systems on 8.0.0 and higher will probably never be hacked, take it up with SciresM. He agrees.