Hacking Firmware status

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"probably" has to be Lacius' favourite word.. it is used frequently in probably every discussion they have. It allows them express non-committed opinions on everything and flip flop when and if something comes to fruition they were non-committal about.
You must lead an interesting life if you only think in absolutes.

Reactions: Lacius

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You must lead an interesting life if you only think in absolutes.

probably :)

however I do go on record for commiting to thoughts and opinions and will admit when I'm wrong. I don't backtrack of just plain not admit I was wrong by quoting myself as saying ''probably''.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"probably" has to be Lacius' favourite word.. it is used frequently in probably every discussion they have. It allows them express non-committed opinions on everything and flip flop when and if something comes to fruition they were non-committal about.
Since I can't see the future, all I can do is assess the liklihood of something happening. My opinion is clear, but I can't assert knowledge. It's the only intellectually honest thing to do here.

Please don't derail this thread with an off-topic post that does nothing but criticize me.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Since I can't see the future, all I can do is assess the liklihood of something happening. My opinion is clear, but I can't assert knowledge. It's the only intellectually honest thing to do here.

Please don't derail this thread with an off-topic post that does nothing but criticize me.

I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, I'm just reminding users that you post comments sounding knowledgeable and absolute, so then most people take it for fact that you know what you're talking about.

When in all actuality the majority of your posts are fence sitting in the extreme, such that you might originally post similar to ''something may possibly happen", then the opposite occurs you counter with ''I only said something may possibly happen, not that it wouldn't happen" - which while technically true, does nothing to further intelligent discussion and makes you seem like a back flipper.

So one again, not a personal attack, but just a public announcement to not to take the "possiblies" with any grain of truth or fact - they are merely conjecture and mostly add absolutely nothing of value to whatever discussion is being held.

Maybe I should look up our round robin discussion of this very fact about the ''possiblies'' in older threads (particularly about the ''possibility'' of SX OS never having support for OFW 8.0, or was it so long ago now it was 7.0?).. so it just seems to me that it is possibly the same old fud coming from the same user, once again.

So to keep the topic rolling, Lacius posted "Patched systems on 8.0.0 and higher will probably never be hackable."

With exploits found later in a lot of consoles and other O/S lifetime, such a thing is not impossible. So it *may* *possibly* be hackable at some stage in the future. It cannot be discounted as definately as some people may post.

Last edited by gizmomelb,
Reactions: TPMJB

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing, I'm just reminding users that you post comments sounding knowledgeable and absolute, so then most people take it for fact that you know what you're talking about.

When in all actuality the majority of your posts are fence sitting in the extreme, such that you might originally post similar to ''something may possibly happen", then the opposite occurs you counter with ''I only said something may possibly happen, not that it wouldn't happen" - which while technically true, does nothing to further intelligent discussion and makes you seem like a back flipper.

So one again, not a personal attack, but just a public announcement to not to take the "possiblies" with any grain of truth or fact - they are merely conjecture and mostly add absolutely nothing of value to whatever discussion is being held.

Maybe I should look up our round robin discussion of this very fact about the ''possiblies'' in older threads (particularly about the ''possibility'' of SX OS never having support for OFW 8.0, or was it so long ago now it was 7.0?).. so it just seems to me that it is possibly the same old fud coming from the same user, once again.

So to keep the topic rolling, Lacius posted "Patched systems on 8.0.0 and higher will probably never be hackable."

With exploits found later in a lot of consoles and other O/S lifetime, such a thing is not impossible. So it *may* *possibly* be hackable at some stage in the future. It cannot be discounted as definately as some people may post.
  1. "Possibly" and "probably" are not the same word, so please don't act like they're the same thing and say it's my favorite word.
  2. My previous posts were acknowledgements of very real possibilities and probabilities.
  3. SciresM is the one who says patched systems probably won't be hackable on 8.0.0 and higher. Take it up with him.
  4. Saying something probably won't be hackable is not the same thing as saying it will never be hackable.
  5. If your post is all about me, it's as personal as it is flattering, not a public announcement. If you're going to argue that what I say is important enough to be the subject of a public announcement, that's even more flattering.
  6. If you're going to argue that my previous posts didn't contribute anything of value to the topic, perhaps you should include in your post something that contributes anything of value to the topic. Responding to you aside, my posts have been relevant. Your personal attacks have not been relevant. Your posts and my responses will hopefully be removed.

Last edited by Lacius,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>patched consoles on 8.0.x will never be hackable
heh, they will, thanks to Nintendo not burning a fuse with 8.0.0.
Downgrading would require an exploit on 8.0.x, unless the system came on something lower than 8.0.0 and a NAND backup was made beforehand on 7.x that could be restored with a hardmod.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be clear, are we talking about downgrading specific system modules (before a version field was added to npdm in 8.1.0)?
No, full downgrade. When SciresM was talking about Mariko stuff on ReSwitched he mentioned that downgrading to 7.0.x from 8.0.x would be possible. I suppose it could involve Mariko specific stuff and not work on Erista, but I doubt it.

Edit: I’m referring to the middle part of this

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, full downgrade. When SciresM was talking about Mariko stuff on ReSwitched he mentioned that downgrading to 7.0.x from 8.0.x would be possible. I suppose it could involve Mariko specific stuff and not work on Erista, but I doubt it.

Edit: I’m referring to the middle part of this

I don't think he's saying we have downgrade exploits. He's saying we can downgrade if we someday do.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think he's saying we have downgrade exploits. He's saying we can downgrade if we someday do.
He also said that we’re extremely lucky for Mariko consoles coming with 8.0.1 and that 8.1.0 was fucked, and that there’s a compelling reason to stay on 8.0.x. So I do think he has something currently for 8.0.x, could be Mariko only, dunno.

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: semzorro and Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He also said that we’re extremely lucky for Mariko consoles coming with 8.0.1 and that 8.1.0 was fucked, and that there’s a compelling reason to stay on 8.0.x. So I do think he has something currently for 8.0.x, could be Mariko only, dunno.
He could be referring to sys module downgrades pre-8.1.0.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this mean that hunting down a specific serial number range no longer applies? Because honestly, trying to hunt down such a mythical Switch console now is just asking to be frustrated.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this mean that hunting down a specific serial number range no longer applies? Because honestly, trying to hunt down such a mythical Switch console now is just asking to be frustrated.
It still does because if you do not find an unpatched console, then you need to find one running a specific firmware version. Either way, not every console all the shelf will be hackable so you will have to pay attention the serial number one way or another.

chrissou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello my friend i would like to buy à switch to my son for Christmas but i'm afraid about firmware version. If i have all understand (i'm french and didn't speak well english) the New hardware of the switch Will soon be hackable if firmware is 7.X. Is it True ? What is the stock firmware of the switch witch is buy today ?
Thanks a lot and sorry for my english

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?