Hacking Firmware Spoofing and with retail carts?

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
So the thing is that those who like to buy retail games and enjoy at its fullest the 3DS, while having a flashcart for the games that we are not interested in buying but we do have interest in playing, cannot play with our retail games (and the internet capabilities they may carry), because an upper firmware is required to play the game.

The thing is, do you think that through some process involving the Gateway 3DS or its exploit, we may have the possibility to do this? To play newer retail games in old firmware?

The thing is that I don't want to buy a second 3DS (even a used one), but this is actually the best time to do so because in a few months most of them will have a higher firmware.

And i don't want to have my expansive american imported (because the games were cheaper) 3DS XL for pirated games while playing my retail carts in a shitty 2DS or a not so shitty but worse nonetheless regular 3DS.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gateway team themselves will not allow firmware spoofing / region unlock for retail cartridges, it makes zero business sense as people would just download their DS installer and they'd gain nothing from the exchange.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway might release this in the future I guess. But at the moment it's not possible. While the console is in gateway mode it will only accept the gateway card. So the team would have to make some homebrew app or change their launcher.dat to include it.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'd make absolutely no business sense for the GW3DS team to enable this. One of the perks of their GW3DS flashcart is being able to play region free games/newer games, and is the reason why most people are hoping onto it. If they allowed other region retail game cartridges/newer games to boot just by running the exploit there goes part of their market. However someone else might come along and reverse engineer it to allow said exploit to boot other region retail cartridges/playing newer games on older firmware.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
The Gateway team themselves will not allow firmware spoofing / region unlock for retail cartridges, it makes zero business sense as people would just download their DS installer and they'd gain nothing from the exchange.

I think you didn't understand what I said

Why would people want to do that thing without buying their card? If you're no interested in piracy, then there's no need to keep firmware 4.5. It makes 100% business sense because they will appeal to people that want to play their newer retail games, and maybe enjoy the online, while also enjoy pirated games.

Besides, they can make the cartridge to be required to allow retail firmware spoofing, Something similar to swap Magic in the PS2. They exploit the handheld with a rom, but it allows the user to change the card in a small period of time, so we can use retail games with older firmwere.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you didn't understand what I said

Why would people want to do that thing without buying their card? If you're no interested in piracy, then there's no need to keep firmware 4.5. It makes 100% business sense because they will appeal to people that want to play their newer retail games, and maybe enjoy the online, while also enjoy pirated games.

Besides, they can make the cartridge to be required to allow retail firmware spoofing, Something similar to swap Magic in the PS2. They exploit the handheld with a rom, but it allows the user to change the card in a small period of time, so we can use retail games with older firmwere.

If they have no interest in piracy then they will update their 3ds to the latest and won't care about using a gateway.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
It'd make absolutely no business sense for the GW3DS team to enable this. One of the perks of their GW3DS flashcart is being able to play region free games/newer games, and is the reason why most people are hoping onto it. If they allowed other region retail game cartridges/newer games to boot just by running the exploit there goes part of their market. However someone else might come along and reverse engineer it to allow said exploit to boot other region retail cartridges/playing newer games on older firmware.

What market? I'm just asking for firmware spoofing, not region locking. I understand allowing region locking may harm their market if done through the red card, but firmware spoofing? Why? I want 4.5 because of Gateway, not because i'm in love with that firmware. By not doing so, they are alienating some part of the market, so it makes business sense.

Or there is no people who want to play online retail games and pirated games?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have been crying out since the 3DS' release about wanting it to be region free. Which is a perk only the GW3DS currently provides. So if they were to open it up the only way that'd work is if they implemented some kind of DRM that makes it so you have to insert the red card before you're able to play the retail game. I personally wouldn't see the point in working towards enabling this as they have better things to do.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
If they have no interest in piracy then they will update their 3ds to the latest and won't care about using a gateway.

But they (I) do. I having a pirated system doens't mean I will stop buying retail carts. God, maybe I value retail carts more than piracy, so they get LESS sales from those who don't want 2 handhelds and neither want to sacrifice the use of retail copies.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
I think what people are trying to say is Gateway is and according to Saturosias always going to work exclusively with Gateway ROMs and firmware. That's basically piracy at its finest. It does not need to work with retail games, and that is the to focus of the device.

I'm not sure if there is any additional encryption within the carts themselves,but clearly the ROMs have been dumped and that's what the Gateway will support. Gateway has had trouble making their cart work with newer firmwares, so I don't see any retail compatibility in the future because they already have enough to crack.

Also, isn't there a retail mode and a gateway mode? I believe it would require you to flash your 3DS, and it isnt permanent.

Still though, i know that misses what you want.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
People have been crying out since the 3DS' release about wanting it to be region free. Which is a perk only the GW3DS currently provides. So if they were to open it up the only way that'd work is if they implemented some kind of DRM that makes it so you have to insert the red card before you're able to play the retail game. I personally wouldn't see the point in working towards enabling this as they have better things to do.

Please, mark where I said ANYTHING about region unlocking. I'm talking about firmware spoofing.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, mark where I said ANYTHING about region unlocking. I'm talking about firmware spoofing.

It would make no sense whatsoever to enable one, and not the other. This is a flashcart we're talking about here that is trying to generate as many sales as possible. Rather than take the time to make it so retail games boot, and enable firmware spoofing why not continue to try to make it work on newer firmwares? They have better priorities then to enable said the firmware spoofer which I'd like to mention they said they aren't doing in an email.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
It would make no sense whatsoever to enable one, and not the other. This is a flashcart we're talking about here that is trying to generate as many sales as possible. Rather than take the time to make it so retail games boot, and enable firmware spoofing why not continue to try to make it work on newer firmwares? They have better priorities then to enable said the firmware spoofer which I'd like to mention they said they aren't doing in an email.

It does beacuse of "business sense".
People not interested in piracy at all but they do have interest in Jap games = they'll have to get stuck with gateway= + sales.
People want to play their retail games (and maybe play online with them) while also want to play pirated games without having to sacrifice anything = + sales

I think this is more logic than wanting Gateway in newer firmware. When they showed the thing, most of the people was on a version lower than 4.5. No game required more than 4.5 and all the retail 3DS except the American AC: NL bundle Poptart 3ds XL carry firmware 4.5. The guys that wanted the Gateway knew that they didn't have to update and if some retarded ones did, is not Gateway's fault.

This thing i think is in a higher priority level than making the Gateway work in a newer but nonetheless obsolete firmware like 5.1 or 6.2 that requires finding an exploit that's not an easy thing to do.

This, I think that looks much more doable, considering they made that thing work with roms. Why not with the retail cards?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not right at all. When the GW3DS was announced on May 30th the latest firmware at the time was 5.0. The GW3DS website had a banner on it which stated "Works on all 3DS & 3DS XL consoles". Fast forward 5 days later they give out a FAQ that states it only works on 4.5 which 5.0 has been out since March about 2 months before the GW3DS' first announcement.

Again makes no sense to enable it for the few that would want this feature, and I'm currently searching for the email that the GW3DS team stated about not having plans to implement said feature.

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I belive if you want to play gateway and retail carts on the same console, using nand dump can do it too. If you want to play gateway you flash your 4.5 dump, and when you want to play retail cart, you flash your 6.2 dump (or use in cart updater), but it requires a computer and hardware modifications...
I don't think gateway will do firmware spoof on retail cart so that's the solution if you want to have only one system.

elMagnate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I belive if you want to play gateway and retail carts on the same console, using nand dump can do it too. If you want to play gateway you flash your 4.5 dump, and when you want to play retail cart, you flash your 6.2 dump (or use in cart updater), but it requires a computer and hardware modifications...
I don't think gateway will do firmware spoof on retail cart so that's the solution if you want to have only one system.

I want to know more about that? Is there any link in the net explaining it? Is the modification hard to do?

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but it'd be a pain to hook up everything, flash dump, disconnect, play, reconnect, flash dump, and play. It'd probably be easier to just buy a 2DS (I know, I know) and use that for the retail games and your 4.5 3DS for the Gateway. If you have the cash go ahead and pick up a second 3DS. In the long run it'll be a lot more enjoyable to just take out your other console vs. flashing dumps constantly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo