Hacking Finding the 3DS Common Key

RichardLaughter

Trophies
XP
honestly, i think people are just to lazy to try this. :/ everyones looking for that backdoor way of getting it because no one wants to wait hours, days, weeks, months, or years for a gallon of gas, when they can try to syphone it off with a straw.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggested this a long time ago got the same responses. It is not going to brute forced, but with all the stagnation with the scene i feel it might be the only shot we have.

OR... My grand plan.... We send in a guy to get hired at IBM, while at working with IBM get on with Watson the super Computer, Sneak in over night log on to Watson and use the super computer to brute force the key out MUWAHHAHAHAHHA. That or sit back and wait for a team to get it done.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brute forcing isn't looking for something, it's literally generating random inputs to try until one of them works.

Like just trying random phone numbers until you find the right one.
Through a rom ? or through a connected unit or something?
You will get an encrypted file (you can get one from NUS with something like NUSD or even a standard web browser), generate random keys, use each one to attempt to decrypt the file, when one works - bingo. When you try a key that doesn't work, you try another and another etc. (Of course, when I say "you" I really mean a program, a person isn't going to manually do this process). One thing I never completely understood is how the program will identify a correctly decrypted file?

Reactions: 2 people

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brute forcing isn't looking for something, it's literally generating random inputs to try until one of them works.

Like just trying random phone numbers until you find the right one.
Through a rom ? or through a connected unit or something?
You will get an encrypted file (you can get one from NUS with something like NUSD or even a standard web browser), generate random keys, use each one to attempt to decrypt the file, when one works - bingo. When you try a key that doesn't work, you try another and another etc. (Of course, when I say "you" I really mean a program, a person isn't going to manually do this process). One thing I never completely understood is how the program will identify a correctly decrypted file?
Thanks for helping me understand.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggested this a long time ago got the same responses. It is not going to brute forced, but with all the stagnation with the scene i feel it might be the only shot we have.

OR... My grand plan.... We send in a guy to get hired at IBM, while at working with IBM get on with Watson the super Computer, Sneak in over night log on to Watson and use the super computer to brute force the key out MUWAHHAHAHAHHA. That or sit back and wait for a team to get it done.
But.. IBM is dead..

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But.. IBM is dead..
Whaaa? Im guessing a joke?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But.. IBM is dead..
It was bought by Lenovo a long time ago.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But.. IBM is dead..
They are still alive though, its like Marvel was bought by disney, marvel still does its thing.

mku_i

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

But.. IBM is dead..

Only IBM's personal computing business was bought out by Lenovo. IBM servers, chip manufacturing, research and development, and a lot of other areas are very much alive.

Reactions: 4 people

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
One thing I never completely understood is how the program will identify a correctly decrypted file?
This is taken into account when selecting a file, you need to know at least part of the output (say, some specific ASCII string contained in it, or some other hex signature). Yeah there's going to be a few false positives when the process is done (assuming you can't just search for a specific header or magic number), but that narrows it down to just a few keys (those which made files matching what you're looking for).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission