Final Fantasy III coming to iPhone

Okami Wolfen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the DS version, and didn't find it hard at all.

At least, not till the end. But it was thrilling! I love a good, challenging game!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boudincaca said:
QUOTE said:
Whether it will be using the 2D style of the Final Fantasy I and II remakes, or a port of the Nintendo DS version which featured 3D graphics and (slightly) expanded individual characters. We shall see soon.

99% sure it will be 2D (Even if porting the DS version should be simple since it's ARM code, I don't think Nintendo would agree).
Nintendo has no say in the matter dude. They didn't develop it or publish it. It was done by Matrix and published by Square Enix, so whoever is doing development for the iPhone version is in charge.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it will use similar graphics to the other FF games on iPhone, which is to say the high res PSP graphics used for FF1/2/4.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
FFVI = Worst Final Fantasy

FFIII = Best.

blink.gif

Anyway, I'm very surprised at this. I never thought they'd do much with 3 again. Granted, it's not for a "real" game system, but I wonder if this isn't some sort of precursor to a version for the 3DS download service or something of that type.

TheMac4D

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regarding the initial post, when was it released on the NES? I thought it never saw a US release until the DS (not counting rom translations of course)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheMac4D said:
regarding the initial post, when was it released on the NES? I thought it never saw a US release until the DS (not counting rom translations of course)
You're correct, that was what i was saying. The game was first released on the Famicom (Japanese NES) in 1990. It didn't receive an official translation until it was remade for DS in 2006. There have been a couple of fan translations for the NES version though, unofficial rom hacks.

Final Fantasy III was in fact, one of three of the games in the series that messed up the numbering system we had to deal with during the 16bit era. The real FF2, FF3, and FF5 didn't originally receive American releases when they first came out. Squaresoft thought Americans would be confused when they skipped several games from being published over here. So they renamed the SNES games for the US market, to correspond with the release order. Now though, I think everyone has finally gotten used to the fixed numbering system since it has been rectified since #7 on PS1. They're now all named with their correct numbering.

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
granville said:
As for VI (and V for that matter), Square Enix stated early last year that they held off putting it on DS due to technical issues. That to me sounded like they were waiting for the 3DS to come out. 3DS is capable of pushing graphics well above PSP, and you've probably seen what Dissidia looks like. If 3DS turns out to be a hit (like it won't lol), i'm betting that Square Enix will go ahead with plans to remake 5 and 6 on 3DS. Probably with a style similar to that of Dissidia (though with better quality graphics). We'll see. Unless they decide to side mostly with Sony this coming handheld generation (or Apple).
They will probably remake them for 3DS and iPhone. They'll also so remake VII for 3DS, which will force me to buy that stupid thing, damn.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since it's a mobile only game, no export for you.

However this news pretty much guarantees a 3DS remake in the future which will be localized.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New update- this is confirmed to be an enhanced port of the DS version. The game is running at a higher resolution and the textures are smoother and some are edited, but the game is clearly based off the DS version. No 3D model enhancements, i'm sure some people will probably be rather disappointed, though the texture enhancements are rather nice. Added a second source with some comparisons from Siliconera. Here's my own below though-

DS version-
finalfantasyiii2912666.png
finalfantasyiii0314344.png

iPhone version-
UtyTBxfObli8BldIG68zSNP6P1DW5pdN.jpg
wVhN1dbfrb2iVyW2NDXyB46t3NjF59l1.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44