granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ff3_logo.jpeg
The next game on Square Enix's remake/port-athon is now Final Fantasy III. That's the real III, not VI (i guess everyone has finally moved on with Square Enix's numbering system). The game has received surprisingly little attention in terms of rereleases compared with some of the other retro games. In fact, it has only ever been released on NES and Nintendo DS (and the Wii VC in Japan only). The game has also only been officially localized once for its DS remake. Now though, V-Jump magazine has announced that Final Fantasy III will be remade once again. In some new screens, the game has been confirmed to be a slightly enhanced port of the DS remake. It shares the same graphics and engine with some slightly higher resolution and edited textures. Other than that, the visuals remain virtually unchanged. Higher resolution textures and use of the iPhone's higher res screen. No word whether the game will have story or gameplay enhancements. You can check some DS-to-iPhone comparison screens in Source #2 below. No word on whether this will be released outside of Japan. Possibly since it's just based on the DS version and there's a translation for it. [/p]
icon11.gif
Source #1
icon11.gif
Source #2

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ew. I want a VI remake for the DS or something. I really want to play VI again and don't want to pay the now $50+ for the GBA version. III is, in my opinion, one of the worst Final Fantasy games. It just isn't very fun.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Ew. I want a VI remake for the DS or something. I really want to play VI again and don't want to pay the now $50+ for the GBA version. III is, in my opinion, one of the worst Final Fantasy games. It just isn't very fun.
I respect your opinion on III. But personally, i felt it is the best of the NES games and is still a lot of fun to play. I feel it deserves more attention than it gets. I liked it a lot.

As for VI (and V for that matter), Square Enix stated early last year that they held off putting it on DS due to technical issues. That to me sounded like they were waiting for the 3DS to come out. 3DS is capable of pushing graphics well above PSP, and you've probably seen what Dissidia looks like. If 3DS turns out to be a hit (like it won't lol), i'm betting that Square Enix will go ahead with plans to remake 5 and 6 on 3DS. Probably with a style similar to that of Dissidia (though with better quality graphics). We'll see. Unless they decide to side mostly with Sony this coming handheld generation (or Apple).

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
Nathan Drake said:
I respect your opinion on III. But personally, i felt it is the best of the NES games and is still a lot of fun to play. I feel it deserves more attention than it gets. I liked it a lot.

As for VI (and V for that matter), Square Enix stated early last year that they held off putting it on DS due to technical issues. That to me sounded like they were waiting for the 3DS to come out. 3DS is capable of pushing graphics well above PSP, and you've probably seen what Dissidia looks like. If 3DS turns out to be a hit (like it won't lol), i'm betting that Square Enix will go ahead with plans to remake 5 and 6 on 3DS. Probably with a style similar to that of Dissidia (though with better quality graphics). We'll see. Unless they decide to side mostly with Sony this coming handheld generation (or Apple).

I can accept the fact that for the NES, it was good. I just don't feel that it transitioned well to the DS. It felt very empty and just not up to the standards of the RPG's of today. It didn't even feel as fulfilling as some of the shorter RPG's of the GBA. I am terribly hard to impress though when it comes to RPG's after having played so many. Developer's rarely make games that I can appreciate fully. Even the DQ series, which I love, I've only beaten Dragon Warrior (the first) and Dragon Quest IX.

I guess I can understand wanting to wait for the 3DS. I just hope they don't butcher the remake. FFVI is one of my all time favorite RPG's, and I'm always scared with intricate remakes that they will screw up something pretty horribly. I did play a lot of Dissidia (yay for friends with PSP's), and would be impressed if they could make FF VI look like, if not better than that while keeping the VI feel.

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

wat
FFIII is like my 3rd favorite final fantasy game.
Its also the second one I played.
I think people usually lose interest in this game cuz its difficulty is higher than other ff games.
But to me FFV was my least fav FF game.
It was like a shallower version of FFIII -.-

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
potato3334 said:
Nathan Drake said:

wat
FFIII is like my 3rd favorite final fantasy game.
Its also the second one I played.
I think people usually lose interest in this game cuz its difficulty is higher than other ff games.
But to me FFV was my least fav FF game.
It was like a shallower version of FFIII -.-

Nah, I just got bored. I bought it, have a strategy guide that no longer has a use and everything. Like I said though, I'm picky with my RPG's. The game wasn't that hard. It did require more level grinding than the average FF game for sure, but it wasn't to an extreme. The game just had little substance. There was nearly no story, no character development, etc. By the end of the game (I did get to the final tower), I was just bored with level grinding. I rushed through the tower, then got slaughtered by one of the end game bosses that drops a ribbon I believe.

I can legitimately say I tried it and just didn't like it much. My personal opinion and nothing more. If it's any consolation, it's better than FF XII and XIII by leaps and bounds.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope the graphics are more like Chaos Rings than the first two iPhone Final Fantasy games.
FF3 for the DS was my first Final Fantasy game ever, so I'm excited to try this out.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
granville said:
Nathan Drake said:

I can accept the fact that for the NES, it was good. I just don't feel that it transitioned well to the DS. It felt very empty and just not up to the standards of the RPG's of today. It didn't even feel as fulfilling as some of the shorter RPG's of the GBA. I am terribly hard to impress though when it comes to RPG's after having played so many. Developer's rarely make games that I can appreciate fully. Even the DQ series, which I love, I've only beaten Dragon Warrior (the first) and Dragon Quest IX.

I guess I can understand wanting to wait for the 3DS. I just hope they don't butcher the remake. FFVI is one of my all time favorite RPG's, and I'm always scared with intricate remakes that they will screw up something pretty horribly. I did play a lot of Dissidia (yay for friends with PSP's), and would be impressed if they could make FF VI look like, if not better than that while keeping the VI feel.
I did like the DS remake of FF3. But one of the reasons you could consider it inferior to the original was the balancing they did to it. The DS has polygon limitations for 3D models. On the original engine Matrix used, they could fit 7 battle characters at once on the screen in FF3. That's 3 for the enemies, 4 for the characters. The problem is that the NES game used and engine based off sprites and could render a lot more characters in battle. Something like 9 enemies and 4 characters or something. In the transition to DS, a lot of the original balance was lost and the game ended up being too easy as a result. It's funny, because these limits were bypassed for the remake of FF4 on DS. They increased the battle model limits (by rendering the battles at a much slower framerate). And they added more strategy to some battles.

The characters were awful too. Original had 4 "nameless" characters devoid of personality. DS remake attempted to give you a story and personality to each character, but it came off as tacked on and awful. First 10-20 minutes introduced the 4 characters and gave them stock ridiculous personas which were never really developed from then on. Shame, because i thought adding more personality to them would be a good idea.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
Whether it will be using the 2D style of the Final Fantasy I and II remakes, or a port of the Nintendo DS version which featured 3D graphics and (slightly) expanded individual characters. We shall see soon.

99% sure it will be 2D (Even if porting the DS version should be simple since it's ARM code, I don't think Nintendo would agree).

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i felt the game was very linear on the DS as it didnt have much taste to it... it seemed like they didnt put too much strategy in the game (as gran pointed out the other flaws)... nice game but had some things lacking unlike FF4 and ff6gba. i feel the graphics will be sharper than the DS version and maybe they might add some more enemies to the screen
i think this was the game tht i test most on the no$ emu

if (as said above) ff6 didnt come out bcz of tech issues then i am hoping for much better graphics and wider gameplay options... much like chaos rings graphics and the big name storyline explanation and gameplay maximization (ie. putting the full force of the game in the iphone version)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFVI = Worst Final Fantasy

FFIII = Best.

I'm glad to see that they're gonna re-release this. I wonder if Square Enix is gonna release 5 and 6 on the NGP, though.
unsure.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
FFVI = Worst Final Fantasy

FFIII = Best.

I'm glad to see that they're gonna re-release this. I wonder if Square Enix is gonna release 5 and 6 on the NGP, though.
unsure.gif
Don't turn this into a flame war, because saying bad things about FFVI will do that.

Anyway, I would be more excited about this if they brought it to a console (Because AFAIK it hasn't been ported to one yet).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr