Filetrip overhaul: we're getting generous!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

Our sister site Filetrip.net has just received some major updates on all levels: tons of new features were introduced, the homepage got redesigned in most parts, all website and download URLs have been redesigned to look more SEO-friendly, read the full story below.

logo.png

shape.png
File Upload & Sharing
FileTrip has always been an open download center where people upload files in specific categories making them available to the public. For example, we have the largest collection of NDS Homebrew on the web! Let's not forget our collection of skins for download: we've got over 2,600 of those, and many more: save games, Wii backup loaders, PSP hacking tools and utilites, and a lot more for all platforms.

Now, considering the success we've always had with our public download center, we decided to open a private file sharing section where anyone can upload any file that they want, in a similar fashion to the famous and now unavailable Megaupload. Not only we allow uploading of files, but the files you upload can also be watched online instantly after you upload them! This feature, called Upload & Play, supports the following formats: MP4, FLV, WMV, F4V, MOV, AAC, MP3, WMA, M4A, F4A, JPG, PNG, GIF, TXT, NFO, DOC(X), XLS(X), PPT(X), PDF, PAGES, AI, PSD, TIFF, DXF, SVG, EPS, PS, TTF, XPS and any source code file. Files under any other format can still be uploaded, of course, but they cannot be previewed online instantly.

- Step 1: upload your file... let's say, the exquisite new Batman Dark Knight Rises trailer!
- Step 2: as soon as the file is uploaded, watch it online! If you haven't seen this trailer, it's a must watch... make sure to see it!
- Step 3: ... no need for a third step! just the first two! or if you want, you can also download the file. No registration required for that.

:!: During our initial beta period, we are glad to be able to offer free 100 GB accounts to all GBAtemp members and visitors! Quick, get yours before we run out of space ;-) Kidding, we have an adaptable infrastructure: the more files get uploaded, the more hard drives and servers we use.

facebook.png
Facebook Login
In order to make use of the new file sharing feature that we offer, you'll need to get your own account... or simply use the one-click login to Facebook! It's never been this easy to use Filetrip: with just one single click on the little Facebook icon, you are instantly connected to our website, and you are thus able to enjoy the 100 gigabytes of free file storage!

PC.png
PC Games and Files
Thanks to the amazing work of [m]The Catboy[/m], our newly created PC Downloads section is now the host of over four hundred abandonware and freeware games! Let's not forget the hundreds of apps that have been mirrored and will stay around forever. Looking for MS-Dos? We have it. Looking for a system rescue CD to save your computer from a horrible death? Check our our System Rescue CD downloads.

icon_news.png
Full Change Log
Because it would be too long to write an entire paragraph for every single change that we have made lately, I'll just summarize the main changes in a neat little list as you like them.
1. File sharing aka. private upload feature now online, upload up to 100 GB worth of files per account. No wait times, no captcha, no popups, it's all free!
2. Upload & Play: immediately after your file is uploaded, it can be visualized online. You don't even need to be logged in to view or download files!
3. One-click login via Facebook now possible. NO information is collected *at all*
4. Newly created PC category. A 3DS category will soon follow.
5. The homepage has been redesigned: more popular items on the side, improved news articles in the center, better placement for side boxes.
6. The whole site now uses new and much more comprehensible URLs such as http://filetrip.net/...ownloads/games/
7. All tooltips have been fixed to better reflect the content behind each link
8. To search for a file on Filetrip, all you have to do is type http://filetrip.net/wood-r4 -- replacing 'wood R4' by what you are searching for!
9. The search engine has been rewritten to provide more accurate results.
10. All file versions on the file page now show as a detailed list (no more dropdown boxes!) with a green dot indicating the latest version.

:arrow: Now would be a good time to head over to Filetrip to check out the changes and get your own account!
Hey, have you watched the latest trailer of Batman The Dark Knight Rises?

Reactions: 5 people

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice... So, 100GB but we can't upload pirated materials, damn shame =D
In all seriousness, it's a great idea.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nice idea! Hopefully this will become something widespread especially in terms of old abandonware. I hate it when I know I'd want a game (and be willing to pay for it), but there is no method to obtain it.. Is there any limits to file size? :)

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have some questions about the terms and agreements :)

1. Is music not allowed for personal upload? Like, if you wanna have your personal collection of MP3s hosted on FileTrip??
2. Is abandonware is GOG format and the like not allowed??

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I have to complain about is no multiple-uploads. Something like Dropbox would make me so happy! But 100gb? That's more than my PC HDD!

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Costello, I'm amazed by the effort that has been put into this project and the SIZE of the storage area, a spiffy 100GB is HUGE and that for free :') Im really happy with this update, and I can consider this as one of the best updates in the history of the Temp since the new board layouts and new servers! Good job and keep the awesomeness up!

Reactions: 1 person

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When I read "generous" I somehow thought "money?", like the old referral system for shoptemp (just with # downloads, like 1000 downloads = $1 or something).
Anyway, those new features (especially the new PC downloads) are really great!

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please tell me an android app is on the way! i would need it for access on the go.

thanks a lot to everyone who made this, 100gb is a massive amount of free storage.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So basically, I can now upload my whole music collection to this site, and you guys won't get in trouble? I can also share the link with my friends, they don't need to register?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
prowler, I know you're trying to be clever and all ... well guess what?
everyone knows you ARE clever, there's no need to take it to the next level which is "annoyingly trying to prove points" :P like someone else *cough* Antoligy

Reactions: 2 people

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
So basically, I can now upload my whole music collection to this site, and you guys won't get in trouble? I can also share the link with my friends, they don't need to register?

there are many questions in one line, let me answer:
1) you can technically upload your whole music collection, though assuming you have a lot of files you should probably wait until we enable a multi-file upload script (around the corner)
2) we won't get in trouble? if we handle it like Megaupload did, we WILL get in trouble. Just like any hosting provider we are forced to treat any copyright violation request from 3rd party/majors/MPAA etc. But as stated in the T&C this is a private upload space.
3) You can share the links with anyone. If you want to keep the files to yourself only, there's an option that will make your file(s) available to your account only, that means no external users will ever be able to see/download your file, even if they happened to guess the URL by miracle.
4) they don't need to register or anything to download or view. And there is no wait time, no captcha, no popups.

The site is solely supported via adverts. If the advertising revenue is sufficient, in the future we will implement a redistribution system, money will be distributed to users who uploaded files with high amount of downloads. But to avoid warez/copyrighted content issues, people who wish to receive money as part of the redistribution system will have to *explicitely* authorize our staff to verify the files manually to see if no illegal content is being shared. Makes sense?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    Veho @ Veho: Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.