Filetrip overhaul: we're getting generous!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i dont think its about publishers caring, if GBAtemp is going for the whole no copyrighted stuff allowed, 99% of those games shouldn't be there.
I agree, as copyright is running up to 75 years after the death of the author (or even heirs in some countries).

Computer will not be able to run these games in 75 years. We already have difficulty to run MSdos games which are only 15-20 years old, so when we will have the possibility to do it legally, nobody will be able to.
It's allowed on filetrip based on the fact that existing abandonware websites never had any legal issue for years. Of course it's only for old computer games, no console's ROMs will be allowed, whether they are abandoned or not.

Also, "Public Domain" doesn't exist in a lot of countries, including France. there's no such a thing as "becoming free after some time".

I don't know if it's the best place to discuss that, it's more to announce filetrip upgrade than discussing law. maybe in another thread, but I already know the result and laws.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Little nitpick, "public domain", at least in the west, is generally regarded as releasing something free-use with no strings (like when a copyright expires, only set immediately). I've heard there's issues with it though as some countries don't legally recognize the concept, but whatever.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one with the concerns though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is definitely exciting news, this'll act as a great place to share stuff.

There is one question I'd like to ask about appropriate usage however. As you can imagine, files can be uploaded and hotlinked on external websites.
Is it acceptable for sites to use Filetrip.net as a place to hotlink uploaded files from, for example, I upload a GIF animation that exceeds the 1mb limit on Tumblr, and embed it on my Tumblr?
I have a number of silly gif animations such as the attached below, and haven't had a way to put them on Tumblr yet.

13948-How-not-to-stop-a-thief.gif

Keep in mind that external images on Tumblr are not automatically loaded, they must be clicked to then load.
I'd also like to know if GIF animations having footage of animation clips, like this one from "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" is a copyright concern or not.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So basically, I can now upload my whole music collection to this site, and you guys won't get in trouble? I can also share the link with my friends, they don't need to register?

there are many questions in one line, let me answer:
1) you can technically upload your whole music collection, though assuming you have a lot of files you should probably wait until we enable a multi-file upload script (around the corner)
2) we won't get in trouble? if we handle it like Megaupload did, we WILL get in trouble. Just like any hosting provider we are forced to treat any copyright violation request from 3rd party/majors/MPAA etc. But as stated in the T&C this is a private upload space.
3) You can share the links with anyone. If you want to keep the files to yourself only, there's an option that will make your file(s) available to your account only, that means no external users will ever be able to see/download your file, even if they happened to guess the URL by miracle.
4) they don't need to register or anything to download or view. And there is no wait time, no captcha, no popups.

The site is solely supported via adverts. If the advertising revenue is sufficient, in the future we will implement a redistribution system, money will be distributed to users who uploaded files with high amount of downloads. But to avoid warez/copyrighted content issues, people who wish to receive money as part of the redistribution system will have to *explicitely* authorize our staff to verify the files manually to see if no illegal content is being shared. Makes sense?
Okay, I read and re-read your replies, and I'm now even more convinced this can be used for ordinary warez. Seeing there's no filesize limit anywhere, I can basically upload a complete .AVI (this isn't in the supported formats, I don't know if it'll work, else .MP4) movie (700MB) in 1 go, and share it with all my friends.You guys would maybe get fucked if some copyrighting company found it, but else, this could work?

It's a great feature but I simply don't see that much need to upload videos/old games to GBAtemp.

D

Deleted-236924

What if I uploaded the German Debug rom of Pokémon Ruby as a private file that only I can see?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I uploaded the German Debug rom of Pokémon Ruby as a private file that only I can see?
Let's make this a more broad question. User uploads a copyrighted file as private. FileTrip would leave it up until notified by the copyright holders (who would have no way of knowing what the file is without hacking FileTrip), correct?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Let's make this a more broad question. User uploads a copyrighted file as private. FileTrip would leave it up until notified by the copyright holders (who would have no way of knowing what the file is without hacking FileTrip), correct?
Since it's a private upload space, it means we cannot look into your files, it's forbidden.
However, if anyone reports a file violating the T&C we have the legal obligation to remove it.
Does that answer your question?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Okay, I read and re-read your replies, and I'm now even more convinced this can be used for ordinary warez. Seeing there's no filesize limit anywhere, I can basically upload a complete .AVI (this isn't in the supported formats, I don't know if it'll work, else .MP4) movie (700MB) in 1 go, and share it with all my friends.You guys would maybe get fucked if some copyrighting company found it, but else, this could work?

It's a great feature but I simply don't see that much need to upload videos/old games to GBAtemp.
if you are publicly admitting that you are using Filetrip for warez, you are forcing me to make verifications to your account and check your files :creep:
so don't do that.

D

Deleted-236924

So I assume I would be able to store the Pokémon Ruby Debug rom on there for safekeeping?

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice... So, 100GB but we can't upload pirated materials, damn shame =D
There are many other file hosters, usenet, and bitorrent that you can use for illegal file sharing. You probably know this already, but just incase other don't...

SolidMario7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should of done this earlier considering what the temp has done for me. This is somthing I don't do lightly. But after this...I will whitelist you on Adblock and Ghostery. It's the most I can do. Yeah, sad isn't it?

SolidMario7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should of done this earlier considering what the temp has done for me. This is somthing I don't do lightly. But after this...I will whitelist you on Adblock and Ghostery. It's the most I can do. Yeah, sad isn't it?

Who are you talking to?
Hmm...I guess you can say that's my way of saying thanks for the 100 GB. :ninja:

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1