Hacking Filetrip cannot host Gateway 3DS files anymore

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Let's just say it's a grey area.
Of course we can't prevent links to the Gateway 3DS website itself.

Just don't link to direct downloads of the 3DS firmware files, simple as that.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do they actually contain any actual illegal files? As in like ROM codes or something that actually makes them illegal to post or is this just another abuse of DMCA?
Because really looking at this, that pretty much clumps all flashcard kernels into that category. Even if they are used for homebrews, they still have the same options for piracy.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anybody surprised? Those files exist solely to pirate with. There is absolutely no way to justify their existence legally.

Sure there is. The law allows you to make a personal backup copy of your software. There's a few reasons people choose to do this. 1) it allows you to safely store the original without worrying about it being damaged/lost/stolen. 2) if the original is damaged, you can still play with the backup. 3) Sometimes there are advantages to playing in non-standard ways. For example, the ds supercard 2 allows you to use save states, cheats, etc. Many times loading times are improved by storing the game on faster media, etc.

Additionally, it allows you to legally play games from other regions, that cannot be played from the original cart, even if you own it.

Reactions: zfreeman

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure there is. The law allows you to make a personal backup copy of your software. There's a few reasons people choose to do this. 1) it allows you to safely store the original without worrying about it being damaged/lost/stolen. 2) if the original is damaged, you can still play with the backup. 3) Sometimes there are advantages to playing in non-standard ways. For example, the ds supercard 2 allows you to use save states, cheats, etc. Many times loading times are improved by storing the game on faster media, etc.

Additionally, it allows you to legally play games from other regions, that cannot be played from the original cart, even if you own it.

Yes, but the dump has to be from your own media. Currently the Gateway provides no way to dump your own games, so your point is moot. Edit - considering there is no publicly available way to dump your carts yet.

Reactions: T Link7

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Isn't there some clause in the DMCA that not only can a consumer to create an archival copy of their own (not downloaded) media, they are allowed to obtain the files necessary to accomplish this task?

If that is the case, when GW releases their backup cartridge feature in v2.0, will the files become OK to distribute by any chance?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
One chance at what? You can still download the Gateway files elsewhere... like the official Gateway website.
Well, not quite since their links are still pointing at filetrip at this time. But he can find some mirror links in the 'Official Forum' under the Contacts tab.
Probably doesn't care cause he's busy trolling instead.

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but the dump has to be from your own media. Currently the Gateway provides no way to dump your own games, so your point is moot. Edit - considering there is no publicly available way to dump your carts yet.
Clearly some people have the means to dump games. Publicly available or not, there are legal uses for the gateway.

Obviously 99.99% of people are using it for illegal things, but that does not mean there are no legal uses for it.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly some people have the means to dump games. Publicly available or not, there are legal uses for the gateway.

Obviously 99.99% of people are using it for illegal things, but that does not mean there are no legal uses for it.

But we're not talking about the hardware, we're talking about the software.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's funny, they C&D'd the Gateway files but did not make one mention of DS flashcart files such as for their much-hated R4s.
While the files are completely legal, I don't think it's worth fighting Nintendo's lawyers in court just for the right to keep them there. It would cost you more money than it's worth even if they don't win. Money you might not have in the first place.
When all of this hype around 3DS flash carts settles down a bit I suspect they won't care as much, they never cared about DS flashcart files.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can still download the Gateway files elsewhere... like the official Gateway website.

No, you cannot from gateway, since they were using filetrip to storage the firmware and manuals, check it. Probably 'cause of that, gbatemp received that notifcation.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Kinda saw this coming really and while with the GBA and DS flash cart files you could mention homebrew well as far as I know there is none for 3DS at this time.

Sides Nintendo been getting all like a hooker with sand in her vag about this stuff lately so ya better to comply and keep em happy

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
That's funny, they C&D'd the Gateway files but did not make one mention of DS flashcart files such as for their much-hated R4s.
While the files are completely legal, I don't think it's worth fighting Nintendo's lawyers in court just for the right to keep them there. It would cost you more money than it's worth even if they don't win. Money you might not have in the first place.
When all of this hype around 3DS flash carts settles down a bit I suspect they won't care as much, they never cared about DS flashcart files.

The files are indeed illegal as they contain an encrypted copy of the 3ds' native_firm.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Let's just say it's a grey area.
Of course we can't prevent links to the Gateway 3DS website itself.

Just don't link to direct downloads of the 3DS firmware files, simple as that.

this is what i was wondering

also what about other 3DS Flashcard files?

such as the R4ids.cn R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe
and the 3DSLinks?

assume these all come under the same new site restriction?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
this is what i was wondering

also what about other 3DS Flashcard files?

such as the R4ids.cn R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe
and the 3DSLinks?

assume these all come under the same new site restriction?

Yes they also contain encrypted copies of nintendo's code/data. So they would be illegal to distribute as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back