FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies

JSHidaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I bought the Bundle and played the game a litttle before take the FFXIV Beta key and sell it.. I played "3 hrs" or that was the time on the status screen.. I couldnt believed.. but in that 3 hours is like the tutorial.. and I can say that 2 hrs of that 3 where Videos
tongue.gif
... its a really good game.. Didnt continue playing it coz my Jap isnt good enough to understand all the controls.. I did understand more the history that the "simple" controls.. and Crystalium System...

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
delta123 said:
if this game is like the old ff7, ff8 or ff9 then what they did was have all the data the same on all three disks and just have videos different.
But how? If the game is already 7 GB they're going to have a hard time getting a few hours of movie on each disc, especially if it has to be good (HD) quality.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maikel Steneker said:
delta123 said:
if this game is like the old ff7, ff8 or ff9 then what they did was have all the data the same on all three disks and just have videos different.
But how? If the game is already 7 GB they're going to have a hard time getting a few hours of movie on each disc, especially if it has to be good (HD) quality.

PS3 can do 720p and 1080p resolution natively, while the 360 can't, the 720p and 1080p is upscaled. SO they will use a codec of crappier quality and fit all of this in 3 discs.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
yeah it's ridiculous, metal gear solid 4 was just as bad with it cutscenes, i have decided to hold off buying final fantasy XIII on the ps3 until it's real cheap and concentrate on other games i haven't finished, i feel real sorry for xbox 360 owners playing this game on 3 dvd's this game was simply just not supposed to be on a xbox, but microsoft brought it to the xbox regardless, instead of buying final fantasy XIII in march i will be playing god of war 3 and heavy rain when they are released, far more enjoyment and then buy star ocean and white knight chronicles instead at launch.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am a bit worried now about this game, with that much already taken up by videos. There doesn't seem to be too much room for the game itself. That and why so much for the videos? Why can't they just make it a movie already and get it over with >.<

KingdomBlade said:
Canonbeat234 said:
If I'm wrong then show me a game that had terrible voice acting but excellent gameplay! I dare you!!

Rune Factory 2.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jalaneme said:
yeah it's ridiculous, metal gear solid 4 was just as bad with it cutscenes, i have decided to hold off buying final fantasy XIII on the ps3 until it's real cheap and concentrate on other games i haven't finished, i feel real sorry for xbox 360 owners playing this game on 3 dvd's this game was simply just not supposed to be on a xbox, but microsoft brought it to the xbox regardless, instead of buying final fantasy XIII in march i will be playing god of war 3 and heavy rain when they are released, far more enjoyment and then buy star ocean and white knight chronicles instead at launch.

At least Final Fantasy Versus 13 have no chances at all of coming to 360, since Nomura is a Sony fanboy and a Microsoft hater. So the game will be as it is intended to be, FF13 should have looked better, but the 360 is holding the PS3 back, it sucks. When the game was just a PS3 exclusive at first, it was better.

Teivin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, that japanese interview is taken way out of context.

On top of that, the multiplatform bit was decided quite far into the development cycle.

Fanboys will cry foul however they want, but I'll wager hard cash that SE cut things simply to add them as DLC later to make more money. Cold hard reality. Publishers want money, and that is the most effective way to get it. They could have easily fit the added data into the 3 DVDs of the 360 release.
On top of that, producing four, five or even six discs is still cheaper than a single bluray disc. Again, any removal of data by SE was entirely intentional and a means to later charge people for more content. (Also, probably to push it out the door sooner, since they've been dragging their feet for a while.)

Also, in response to whoever was ranting about not using all 7 PS3 cores....

The PS3 has a single core, and 7 SPE. The SPE can only use 4kb chunks of data and can only send them in a linear fashion to the central core, no threading/communication between SPE. Unless the calculations are done in a redundant fashion, the SPE setup is poor and doesn't add anything to the equation. Similarly, the PS3 GPU is throttled by the fact that it is controlled by the CPU and has to send data through it as well.

The performance hike in most 360 games as opposed to PS3 games is because the 360 supports both multicore multi-threading and the GPU can work independently without needing its instructions threaded down from the CPU.

PS3 exclusives run well and look good simply because the team can spend the weeks and weeks breaking down every piece of code into the damn near ASM level 4kb range to be used with the SPE. Dead serious when I say Sony will probably not make the same mistake again with their next platform. Super computer it may be, but that isn't conductive to gaming.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
PS3 can do 720p and 1080p resolution natively, while the 360 can't, the 720p and 1080p is upscaled. SO they will use a codec of crappier quality and fit all of this in 3 discs.

Stop spreading your lies. I have BOTH systems and both do 720 and 1080p natively. Hell, 95% of all games dont even run in 1080 any so your argument is invalid. 32gigs of movies is ridiculous anyway especially since I'm gonna skip through them anyway. No, I'm not even gonna play this game lol, HATE Final Fantasy games, besides Crisis Core, that was amazing.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Jamstruth said:
tuta said:
If there is no install I believe core gameplay will be in every dvd so 3 dl-dvd seems kinda absurd

I hope they have an install option on the 360 version (not required but there) especially if we have a disk switching problem like Star Ocean(?) where going to a different planet could cause you to switch disks (since the content or that planet was on a different disk) but with luck it will be similar to the older PS1 games where you couldn't accidently backtrack onto the content of the last disk and cause a switch disk prompt (since all accessible areas were put on the disk)

You can install every games on 360 Hard disk, there is no need for an option in the game. PS3 version have an install option.

And do you really think this isn't gonna be like SO4? Dream on, with 6GB of data and with the rest of 3 dvds filled with movies, do you really think it won't be like that? Beside, the 360 sucks, the reason why SO4 was like is because tri-Ace and Square-Enix just simply didn't give a crap about it.

Not sure that installing to the 360 would work if each disk launched by itself without an option as the game would need to know what to access when, and ask you to change a disk anyway, getting confused. When I booted up Forza 3 it asked for 2nd content CD, it was an optional install but the game asked me to do it so it knew to look for the data on the harddrive.
out
360 does not "suck". Games are running just as good on it as the PS3 for the moment. I have played a PS3 and one thing jumped out at me: Installing. I downloaded a demo from PSN and it had to be installed, I downloaded the same demo on the 360 and I didn't have to wait on an install before playing. Its probably installing as its downloading but I could do other things whilst it downloaded e.g. play a game unlike the PS3 which requires you to wait.
Not if you click "download in background." Neither system downloads your demo if you are playing online, in either shop, or browsing the net (PS3 only obviously).

Yes, installing is the worst for the PS3, and I don't know why. It took me quite a while to update the MAG Beta, but it was over a gigabyte, so the relative time it took is actually fast. It took a little over 25 minutes if you were wondering.

Additionally, Downloading is just terrible on the PS3. It takes over an hour to download ~850 MB of demo data.
frown.gif

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
delta123 said:
Giga_Gaia said:
I bet one day, Sony will add an install option for games, like Microsoft did on 360.

its up to the developer to add the install option. most of my games on the ps3 has an install option.

Sony does have a data install option....

for their PSP gaming handheld

Dissida : Final Fantasy and many more new PSP games have a data install to improve load times...

...but you can bet that eventually it will be for PS3

tuta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
stanleyopar2000 said:
delta123 said:
Giga_Gaia said:
I bet one day, Sony will add an install option for games, like Microsoft did on 360.

its up to the developer to add the install option. most of my games on the ps3 has an install option.

Sony does have a data install option....

for their PSP gaming handheld

Dissida : Final Fantasy and many more new PSP games have a data install to improve load times...

...but you can bet that eventually it will be for PS3

What do you mean eventually and I bet sony will blah blah blah
Do you guys even have a ps3 or done your research on the ps3 most ps3 games have install!

Metal Gear Solid 4, Assassins Creed, inFamous, Tekken 6, Devil May Cry 4 not naming alot more games all have install

It doesn't mean that squeenix says FF13 doesn't have install means all ps3 game doesn't have install

To name a few uncharted 1 and modern warfare 1 didn't have install so as what delta123 said it is really up to the devs...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tommyt said:
I wonder how the story's going to be like with all those cut-scene.

Guild does Final Fantasy in a few lines...

"Wow, I'm just some average person and now I've got to SAAAAVE the world!"

"Wow, more people! And I giant chicken! And a boat in the sky! Technology is so random today!"

"Random bad guys! Boss! More bad guys! Boss!"

"Ugh, bad guy! Ugh, die! Urrrrrrrrrrggggh!"

"Wow, some big evil super bad guy! AARRRRRRRRGGGGH!"

The end!

psychospacefish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
1.) 6.8GB is nothing to be sniffed at for gamedata.

2.) This is the first game this gen to have CG video at the same quality of Blu-ray movies, 1080p high-bitrate H.264 video with lossless audio. That 32.6GB is probably only around 2 hours of video.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...