FFXIII is 32.6GB of movies

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Seek01 said:
It doesn't mean that there is more movie than game, its just that actual the actual game isn't that big. FFXIII probably uses a lot of FMVs, and when animated in 1080p, thats tends to take up a LOT of space.

Its a stretch to say you'll see more movie/cutscene than actually gameplay. But when you account for the battle system, the programming, the renders, the skill effects, thats not that much when it comes to the actual game. But when you count for the voice acting, the FMVs, the cutscenes, that takes a lot. Especially if the FMVs and cutscenes are on the disk more than once to speed up loading time. So essentially the actually movie data part of the games may only be 2/3 of that amount.

I think there will also be A LOT of longevity in the game, i.e. side stories/mini-games/secrets what have you.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
360 version is 3 discs. The game on Blu-Ray takes 40GB. 3 DVD dual layer is 25GB. They will compress it to fit on 3 dvds. So about 15GB of quality will be lost.

tuta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I believe there will be a drop in quality for the 360 version

Not sure of 360 multi disc games as I only have a ps3 but since the ps1 days multi disc games always have the core gameplay on every disc so if a 700mb cd nearly a quarter is taken up for core gameplay then the rest with fmv

If there is no install I believe core gameplay will be in every dvd so 3 dl-dvd seems kinda absurd

And if theres no install I think ps3 will have long loading time SF4 and Tekken 6 is enough proof of long load difference between 360 and ps3

But all in all I haven't expose myself to much ff13 hype but nonetheless its my second top buy after GOW 3

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It was confirmed that the 360 would be 3 dvds. Yes, the movies and audio will be compressed and that's 15GB of data lost, like I said (this was in another article). Also, the PS3 version have an install option (the japanese one does, so of course, US will too).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
tuta said:
If there is no install I believe core gameplay will be in every dvd so 3 dl-dvd seems kinda absurd

I hope they have an install option on the 360 version (not required but there) especially if we have a disk switching problem like Star Ocean(?) where going to a different planet could cause you to switch disks (since the content or that planet was on a different disk) but with luck it will be similar to the older PS1 games where you couldn't accidently backtrack onto the content of the last disk and cause a switch disk prompt (since all accessible areas were put on the disk)

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
sigh. in case you guys haven't heard, this game sucks balls. hopefully versus will be better
frown.gif

only to people who have played it and have not a clue what is going on then it sucks. if you do know then it is good.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
tuta said:

I hope they have an install option on the 360 version (not required but there) especially if we have a disk switching problem like Star Ocean(?) where going to a different planet could cause you to switch disks (since the content or that planet was on a different disk) but with luck it will be similar to the older PS1 games where you couldn't accidently backtrack onto the content of the last disk and cause a switch disk prompt (since all accessible areas were put on the disk)

You can install every games on 360 Hard disk, there is no need for an option in the game. PS3 version have an install option.

And do you really think this isn't gonna be like SO4? Dream on, with 6GB of data and with the rest of 3 dvds filled with movies, do you really think it won't be like that? Beside, the 360 sucks, the reason why SO4 was like is because tri-Ace and Square-Enix just simply didn't give a crap about it.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there is no install on the ps3 version of the game. the install id for a theme that you get after receiving a certain trophy.

if this game is like the old ff7, ff8 or ff9 then what they did was have all the data the same on all three disks and just have videos different.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
delta123 said:
there is no install on the ps3 version of the game. the install id for a theme that you get after receiving a certain trophy.

if this game is like the old ff7, ff8 or ff9 then what they did was have all the data the same on all three disks and just have videos different.

Well, seems I was wrong, there isn't, but it doesn't need it, only load times between big areas and it's minimal.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
who gives a shit?

after what they did with Crimson Echoes..I really don't respect them anymore nor buy their games...If I buy an Square-Enix game...it's gonna be used at a GameStop...

on topic - that is a shitload of movie data

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if the videos are long, I hope it has a pause button...Xenosagas were known for their long ass cut scenes and you could only either skip or miss them if you had to get up for any reason..was kind of annoying.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
I believe Microsoft added the install option to counter loud noise from the dvd drive & multi dvd games.

Either way i cant wait until the european release date for the PS3 version. xD
Thinking maybe i also should upgrade to a "native" 1080p HDTV.
The one im using now only displays 1366x768.
frown.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
Jamstruth said:
tuta said:

You can install every games on 360 Hard disk, there is no need for an option in the game. PS3 version have an install option.

And do you really think this isn't gonna be like SO4? Dream on, with 6GB of data and with the rest of 3 dvds filled with movies, do you really think it won't be like that? Beside, the 360 sucks, the reason why SO4 was like is because tri-Ace and Square-Enix just simply didn't give a crap about it.

Not sure that installing to the 360 would work if each disk launched by itself without an option as the game would need to know what to access when, and ask you to change a disk anyway, getting confused. When I booted up Forza 3 it asked for 2nd content CD, it was an optional install but the game asked me to do it so it knew to look for the data on the harddrive.
out
360 does not "suck". Games are running just as good on it as the PS3 for the moment. I have played a PS3 and one thing jumped out at me: Installing. I downloaded a demo from PSN and it had to be installed, I downloaded the same demo on the 360 and I didn't have to wait on an install before playing. Its probably installing as its downloading but I could do other things whilst it downloaded e.g. play a game unlike the PS3 which requires you to wait.

masamunecyrus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
If I'm wrong then show me a game that had terrible voice acting but excellent gameplay! I dare you!!

Castlevania games (especially Symphony of the Night), many Nipponichi games, Baten Kaitos (voice quality issues more than voice acting, I guess), the first Resident Evil game, Shenmue, many Mega Man X games, Yakuza, Ninja Gaidens, Grandia... really any RPG that isn't a blockbuster massive-budget RPG, etc....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.