WiiU_Funkionz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question 1:
I've acquired myself a very good condition unpatched V1 that I will be modding this weekend. It's a clean switch. I haven't even linked my Nintendo profile yet on it.

My question is this. Starting with a blank template, what is my best process for setting this up when doing the mod? Should I setup my Nintendo acct. before doing anything, and then do the mod, OR, should I start the process, setup my Emunand and Sysnand, and then link my Nintendo account on my Sysnand side?

Question 2: For limiting ban risk, I intend to install Emunand. I also have been following a guide that recommends Exosphere alongside it. The instructions give a configuration you're supposed to use for Sysnand and one for Emunand, but it states to save it as one file on the root.

This confused me. Am I supposed to be using a completely different Micro SD for booting into stock nand or Sysnand?

Any clarification is much appreciated

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First, set up and link your account (spares you fake-linking profiles, I done so aswell), then follow this https://rentry.org/EristaEmuNAND , just be sure to turn off cloud backups if you purchased NSO, at least turn it off for emuNAND creation, afterwards you can turn it on in stock sysNAND again. Also optionally turn off WiFi/turn on airplane mode before you create the emuNAND, just in case.

This confused me. Am I supposed to be using a completely different Micro SD for booting into stock nand or Sysnand?
No, pay attention to what the guide says to do and also the configs.
For example, in the guide linked above, exosphere and dns_mitm will only get applied to emuNAND if done correctly.

I use an emuNAND on the same SD with which I boot stock sysNAND from time to time aswell, not banned since 2 years.

Reactions: WiiU_Funkionz

WiiU_Funkionz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, set up and link your account (spares you fake-linking profiles, I done so aswell), then follow this https://rentry.org/EristaEmuNAND , just be sure to turn off cloud backups if you purchased NSO, at least turn it off for emuNAND creation, afterwards you can turn it on in stock sysNAND again. Also optionally turn off WiFi/turn on airplane mode before you create the emuNAND, just in case.

No, pay attention to what the guide says to do and also the configs.
For example, in the guide linked above, exosphere and dns_mitm will only get applied to emuNAND if done correctly.

I use an emuNAND on the same SD with which I boot stock sysNAND from time to time aswell, not banned since 2 years.
Thank you for this! Definitely helped.

So just so I understand correctly, does the setup of emuNAND and sysNAND, create 2 different partitions on the card?

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this! Definitely helped.

So just so I understand correctly, does the setup of emuNAND and sysNAND, create 2 different partitions on the card?
if all you want is 1 emunand, you just need to create one 29gig partition. ofc doesnt have to be 29gig, thats just what the sysnand has stock, but make it at least 4gig.

sysnand is OFW or OFW layered with cfw. either way you dont need a partition for it, it already exists in the nand,

emunand is just a copy of your sysnand that you keep offline for cfw stuff. which is why you only need 1 partition for it.

WiiU_Funkionz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if all you want is 1 emunand, you just need to create one 29gig partition. ofc doesnt have to be 29gig, thats just what the sysnand has stock, but make it at least 4gig.

sysnand is OFW or OFW layered with cfw. either way you dont need a partition for it, it already exists in the nand,

emunand is just a copy of your sysnand that you keep offline for cfw stuff. which is why you only need 1 partition for it.
So if i'm picking up what you're putting down, 29 gb's looks like a stock 32 gb switch to Nintendo if they somehow have the abilty to read the alotted space (stock vs modified) but 4 gb is the required minimum amount in order to have a proper 2 OS dual boot setup?

Is there a general size recommendation on setting up an appropriate amount of space on the emuNAND? I guess I still don't understand where games get stored. Is that on the emuNAND, or is there like a separate partition that games get installed to? I picked up a 512 gb MicroSD so i'd like to allot as much of that to whichever partition holds the games.

I'll probably go with the stock setup. Appreciate all the clarification!

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, your systems storage is 32gb, a portion of that is used by the os, so your left with roughly 29gb for storage for games, pics, clips, etc. thats your "partition" for sysnand which is stored on the system itself. so when creating a emunand, which is just a copy of sysnand thats stored on your sd, you can resize the emunand from the stock size of 32gb to whatever size to save space on your sd.

i will say, i personally dont see the point of resizing the emunand since the "internal memory" of emunand is on the sd card. and i have no idea why someone would unless they were to setup sx os.

Reactions: Chaosta

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if i'm picking up what you're putting down, 29 gb's looks like a stock 32 gb switch to Nintendo if they somehow have the abilty to read the alotted space (stock vs modified) but 4 gb is the required minimum amount in order to have a proper 2 OS dual boot setup?

Is there a general size recommendation on setting up an appropriate amount of space on the emuNAND? I guess I still don't understand where games get stored. Is that on the emuNAND, or is there like a separate partition that games get installed to? I picked up a 512 gb MicroSD so i'd like to allot as much of that to whichever partition holds the games.

I'll probably go with the stock setup. Appreciate all the clarification!
to add to what kidkat210 said,

i mentioned 4gig emunand bc that just seems to be the minimum ppl use (mostly for sxos), but most including myself use a 29gig partition emunand.

on a 512gig sd card, you have about 480gig of usable storage, whether you allot 29gigs to your emunand while saving 451gig of free storage vs 4gig emuand and 476gig of free storage. either way you will be able to use it all because you can choose where games are installed. sd card or nand (in this case, if inside emunand, then the emunand nand the 29gig or w.e you set it as) sry for confusing you.

unless you choose so, installing games will save to a encrypted file on your sd card. otherwise they will save to said storage you allotted for your emunand, which is also stored encrypted on your sd card.

in short, all your games will be stored on the sd card in emunand regardless.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
to add to what kidkat210 said,

i mentioned 4gig emunand bc that just seems to be the minimum ppl use (mostly for sxos), but most including myself use a 29gig partition emunand.

on a 512gig sd card, you have about 480gig of usable storage, whether you allot 29gigs to your emunand while saving 451gig of free storage vs 4gig emuand and 476gig of free storage. either way you will be able to use it all because you can choose where games are installed. sd card or nand (in this case, if inside emunand, then the emunand nand the 29gig or w.e you set it as) sry for confusing you.

unless you choose so, installing games will save to a encrypted file on your sd card. otherwise they will save to said storage you allotted for your emunand, which is also stored encrypted on your sd card.

in short, all your games will be stored on the sd card in emunand regardless.
Saves are stored in nand only, so going with such small nand is imo stupid. Remember that f.e. Minecraft saves can take up more than 1GB.

So best choice is to not resize partition if you care about playing on it.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Question 1:
I've acquired myself a very good condition unpatched V1 that I will be modding this weekend. It's a clean switch. I haven't even linked my Nintendo profile yet on it.

My question is this. Starting with a blank template, what is my best process for setting this up when doing the mod? Should I setup my Nintendo acct. before doing anything, and then do the mod, OR, should I start the process, setup my Emunand and Sysnand, and then link my Nintendo account on my Sysnand side?

Question 2: For limiting ban risk, I intend to install Emunand using Incognito or equivalent. I also have been following a guide that recommends Exosphere alongside it. The instructions give a configuration you're supposed to use for Sysnand and one for Emunand, but it states to save it as one file on the root.

Any clarification is much appreciated

1. Just follow the guide. It's usually format the device, copy CFW files, create backup (save on PC), create emunand, boot to normal nand, update, create and link account. Then on emunand, ensure you either erased the serial or used the option in Atmosphere that does that, use a fake linker application then update there

2. Not really sure, I'd rather just scrub off the serial on the emunand than use Atmosphere's thing since if you fuck up (like overwrote stuff and forgot to turn it on and go online on emunand, you will be banned instantly if you did something bad on emunand.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Just follow the guide. It's usually format the device, copy CFW files, create backup (save on PC), create emunand, boot to normal nand, update, create and link account. Then on emunand, ensure you either erased the serial or used the option in Atmosphere that does that, use a fake linker application then update there

2. Not really sure, I'd rather just scrub off the serial on the emunand than use Atmosphere's thing since if you fuck up (like overwrote stuff and forgot to turn it on and go online on emunand, you will be banned instantly if you did something bad on emunand.
i use both exosphere and 90dns and used a dns tester to make sure i wasn't connecting to nintendo on emunand
sysnand works great to play on-line

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So best choice is to not resize partition if you care about playing on it.
I resized aswell but chose to use 10GB, only one third of the original size is fine in my opinion, I also play many games with bigger savegames such as Monster Hunter Rise.
Just make a backup of your savegame and delete it from system when you are done playing (for now).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Gamemaster2022 @ Gamemaster2022: Great titles. I'm about to play some Pokémon Emerald. I need to lvl up